Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs restricted to safe fortress  (Read 712 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs restricted to safe fortress
« on: April 04, 2020, 05:45:44 am »

They are sometimes going wandering the inhabitants outside the fortress.
Can i restrict the population of the fortress that they stay inside ( not by a burrow then ? )

Then i can do hunting (hunter with dogs ) or is it no problem that dorfs going outside their safe fortress?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs restricted to safe fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:59:31 am »

A civilian alert will ensure all civilians only take up tasks within the burrow (but allows them to travel freely by the "best" route between those locations, even if parts of the route is outside. Hunters are civilians, so no hunting. Regular burrows allow you to select which dorfs should be burrowed and which shouldn't, but there is no way to disable and then enable normal burrows: you have to manually remove and re-add dorfs to them.
Forbidding all items on the surface removes most of the reasons for why dorfs would go out, but not all. Locking them in with locked door or raised drawbridges keeps those inside that were inside at the time they were closed (with the remainder locked out), although civilian alert burrows can be used to pull them inside before you lock down the fortress. Again, that will block hunters from going out.

How dangerous it is outside depends on your embark, your neighbors, and the attack triggers you've set (or left at their default values).

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 09:29:06 am »

I'm not saying I recommend this, but here's another thing that helps control where your dwarfs go:

- Put ALL of them in military squads... (but leave the miners and woodcutters out*).
- You can then "s" order your squads to Move at any time, anywhere... or even individuals.
- If you don't assign them uniforms, and don't assign them to a barracks, then they are simply organized groups of "civilians".
- You can assign them to a barracks with no uniforms and they'll train up some basic fighting skills in their spare time.
- Letting them train the basic skills is also one way to see which new dwarfs have potential to be recruited in the actual military squads.

* Or put miners & woodcutters in squads but don't assign them uniforms.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 11:44:28 am »

Thanks

There are some ways to lock the dorfs inside: via  squads or burrows as i understand it now
Both i must apply once

> How dangerous it is outside depends on your embark, your neighbors, and the attack triggers you've set (or left at their default values)

Those attack trigger as low as possible of course ..lowering possible ? ( a stealth fortress: invisible ..for that we need magic  :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:49:22 am by janamdo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 01:18:06 pm »

Attack triggers: Sounds like you've got that backwards...

- Necros: Attack whenever they feel like. No trigger to overcome. Can only be overcome by embarking out of range  (10 tiles).
- Civs you've attacked: You're on your own. You started it. No trigger protection.
- (Semi) megabeasts: The raw files contain a separate set of triggers for each creature. The default in a minimum pop of 50 for semi megabeasts and 80 for megabeasts. I think the value and export triggers are disabled.
- Other civs: Pop trigger defaults to 3 in entity_default.txt (80), with export and value triggers diabled. A value of 1 = 20, 2 = 50, and 4 and 5 are higher triggers, although I've never bothered to learn what values they stand for. It's possible that disabling all triggers (value 0) might disable attacks from civs (again, unless you started it), but I don't know.
- Titans and Weres might have their attack triggers defined by advanced world gen parameters. Titans default to 80 and weres to 50, with Titans having a wealth trigger and weres both a wealth and an export trigger.
- FBs don't have any attack trigger. When you breach a cavern you're fair game to anything living there (and if you've embarked on a cave with a tunnel down to a cavern they can come up that way).
- Kobolds: can "attack" whenever they feel like. However, one or a few stealthed thieves isn't a serious threat to a fortress.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 01:53:05 pm »

Attack triggers: Sounds like you've got that backwards...
Thanks
Some repetition be can useful, because there is so much to learn in DF