Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Not Enough Gods - Age 1, Turn 3  (Read 8696 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Not Enough Gods - Age 1, Turn 3
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:31:23 pm »

In continuing my theme of failing to learn from the mistakes of others, I would like to present...

Not Enough Gods.

At the Start, there Wasn't.

There was no Time.  No Space.  No Reality.  Even Nothing did not yet exist, for there can't be an Absence without first a Presence. 

So, at the very Start, there simply was...Not.

It was from this crystal-perfect non-existence that Being came to Be.  It was the Only - there existed no others.  Without Time, the period the Only spent contemplating this new Existence was both instantaneous and infinite.  It was after this contemplation that the Only decided to destroy itself - and so it created Time, so that there might be a beginning and an end.  It created Space, so that there might be finite.  Lastly, it created three others to follow, and the Only became instead the Antecedent.

With its three children now joined and a vast blank canvas laid before them, the Antecedent bid them to themselves create.  Create, and the Antecedent would observe.  Though they were mere creations and the power they held was not even a fraction of what the Antecedent possessed, these three were still the First True Gods, and all of Existence would be theirs to craft.

And thus ends the Zeroth Age - the Age of Being.

If you've made it through all that, then welcome to Not Enough Gods!  This is yet another God Game, inspired primarily by Sensei's old Too Many Gods game.  Following much in the same vein as that game, Not Enough Gods follows the process of creating a universe and building a world with a rich, interesting history.  Players will create, destroy, fight, and fuck their way through the Ages until the end of the game, at which point I'll either hand out awards to players or swear off running forum games altogether. 

The game starts in the First Age, having just completed the Zeroth Age in which the the Antecedent (aka me, the GM) and the First True Gods (aka the first three players to sign up) were created.  From here on we will progress through four more Ages (about 5 to 8 turns each) until the end of the game.  If something is missing or broken at the end of an Age (like if mortals aren't created, or time keeps segfaulting and freezing) then the Antecedent will create/repair it so things may progress smoothly.  I will announce when we are on the last turn of each Age so players have time to finish up their actions.

The Ages

Zeroth Age: The Age of Being
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First Age: The Age of the Cosmos

Second Age: The Age of the Earth

Third Age: The Age of Myth

Fourth Age: The Age of Miracles

(Bonus Age!)
Fifth Age: The Age of Legends

The Rules

JOINING
You only need to post the name you will have in-game, and your first action.  Make sure your action includes a full description of what you intend to do, but keep it concise and readable for my sake, please. 

If there are no available slots, simply post your intent to join and you will be added to the waiting list.  As new slots are created, players will be pulled from the waiting list at random and dropped into the game as the children of other Gods. 

CREATING OTHER GODS
Gods like creating other Gods, as it turns out.

A player may spend an action to create an offspring.  This offspring will be a God in their own right, and will start with either a new aspect declared by their parent, or a random aspect pulled from one of the parents dominions. 

A player may either create their offspring by themselves (perhaps they sprung from the player's mind as a headache, or they are an elevated mortal, or the player crafted them from their own essence) or with another willing player.  Note that only one player needs to spend their action to create offspring, and the other only needs to give their consent.  In this case the offspring will start with an aspect from each parent.  If both players spend their turn creating an offspring, then the new God will start with an additional aspect declared by the new player (who will be pulled from the wait list at random).

ROLLING
Every action will result in a 2d4 dice roll.  The higher your result, the better you accomplish your action.  A number that's too low might fail do anything, only complete part of your action, or have unintended consequences. This is not to be rules-heavy or strategic game, so whatever I think sounds like a good story is a big factor in the outcome. If you are opposed by another god, then you will each get a roll, and the one with the higher result will succeed. Depending on the circumstances (particularly fighting), success might be more dramatic if there is a big difference between your results. Whenever you roll, your highest bonus from a domain that is relevant will be added. For example, if you have a +1 bonus in the Water domain, this might apply to creating a river or extinguishing a volcano, but not creating a volcano. If you have a +2 bonus in the Fire domain and a +1 in the War domain, and you fight another god, you could say that you use fire magic to get a +2, but you cannot add them for a +3. 

Difficult, overly-complex, or meme actions will receive either a -1 or -2 to the result.  Easy actions might receive +1.  Note that the Dice Roll Results chart below is a guideline for how I'll judge your result and is by no means set in stone.

DICE ROLLS:
0: The only way you can reach zero is if you did something stupidly hard with no experience and rolled snake-eyes.  You will be punished accordingly.
1: You did something difficult with no experience and rolled bad.  Your action blows up in your face, or goes counter to what you wanted.
2: You rolled as low as you can go and your action didn't work.  Just because you're a God doesn't mean you're infallible - you must have overlooked something...
3: You rolled the bare minimum! Something happens, though probably not what you wanted.  You gain experience in the Domain, at least.
4: Low Success.  It's not perfect, and may need some refinement, but you managed to get out what you wanted and it's...passable.
5: Normal Success.  Your action succeeds about as expected.
6: Your action is clever and deft, weaving reality to your desires.
7: Your action has paid off perfectly.  Your action goes exactly as you want it to - better, even!
8: Rolling a natural 8 means you gain double advancement in a Domain.  Your action might get a bit of flair depending on how well it fits.
9: You are a God.  The world is your playground.  If it makes sense, your action performs beyond how you wanted it to.

DOMAIN BONUSES
When you perform an action, it contributes to your mastery over a Domain.  You may suggest what Domain your action contributes to in your post, or you may leave it open-ended for GM interpretation.

The more you take actions that pertain to a certain domain, the higher your bonus will be. Actions must be successful to count. Common examples of domains are elements (Fire, Water, Earth, Air), moral concepts (Good, Evil, Law, Chaos), abilities or skills (Strength, Magic, War, Trickery), emotions (Love, Fear, Bravery) or more specific concepts (Nature, Life, Death, Work). Really it could be all sorts of things. Each action you take can only improve one domain. Below is a list of how many actions it takes to gain power in a domain:

+1: 2 Actions, But when you gain progress in your first domain, it counts as 2 actions and becomes +1 immediately.
+2: 4 Actions
+4: 7 Actions - Major Domain threshold.
+5: 10 Actions

Every Domain you have is a "Minor" Domain until you achieve +3, in which case it becomes a "Major" Domain and you receive an additional +2 bonus.  Players may have at most two Major Domains.  Achieving a Major Domain means the Domain now belongs to you - you are now the God of XYZ.  This also means that no other God may hold it as a Major Domain and may not receive beyond a +2 while you hold it.

FIGHTING
After the Age of Cosmos, Gods may engage in combat with one another.  Such disputes are violent and destructive and tend to result in a lot of collateral damage, but the rewards can be lucrative.  Similar to standard Opposed Actions, players roll and add their bonuses to the result.  High total wins.  The loser may lose control of a Domain (to be gained by the winner), or they might need to spend a turn or two resting to recover.  Players may even be knocked out of the game for an entire Age, or even permanently - particularly if multiple Gods gang up on them.  Be warned, though - excessive violence may draw the ire of the Antecedent.

TURNS
The game will update when I feel like it.  I plan to update at least once a week, and at most once per day. You may have only 24 hours from when a turn is posted to post your action! I will make a post declaring that action submissions are closed before I begin writing the turn. This means you might miss some turns- don't worry, it's not the end of the world. With a large number of players, I cannot wait to be certain everyone has posted. In extreme cases, like if you've missed three turns over more than a week, I might offer your place in the game to someone else.

Once a sufficiently large number of players have entered into the game, I may declare that the last person to post their action receives a -1 for that turn.

FIRST TURN BEGINS IMMEDIATELY:
It is the Age of the Cosmos. You have no body, but you have a mind. The world is empty and still, but you know there is space around you. The minds of others shine like beacons of light. For a moment the void is filled brilliantly and a voice other than your own can be heard in your thoughts: "Go now and create the world that you will. When I return I hope to see something beautiful." Then, you are left alone.

The universe is now your sandbox. Declare your name, and your first action. If your action fits the guidelines of "normal" for The Age of the Cosmos, and it does not conflict with the action of another player, it will succeed without rolling.

Behavior Rules

FAQ
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:54:27 am by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not Enough Gods.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 06:32:06 pm »

CURRENT GODS:

WAITLIST:
  • IronyOwl (Diresugar)
  • theFantasticMrFox (Unnamed)
  • Chiper9 (Unnamed)
  • Happerry (Anath)
  • Naturegirl1999 (Sidma)
  • Egan_BW (Unnamed)
  • LovecraftianFairyTale (Uvdes)
TURN MARKERS:
First Age:
Turn 1
Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:33:15 pm by evictedSaint »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:45:50 pm »

From nothing, came something, and that something included the first of the First True Gods, Odius the Architect of Creation.

Odius reached forth his power, and began to shape. Thus it was decreed by him, that there should be a sphere, a vast glowing shell around a fiery core that exhaled breaths of raw light and energy, illuminating the empty space around it, colors metamorphosing into different colors with every era to show the aggregate will of the gods. This was the Illuminating Orb of Eras, a bright star for the realm, a guiding light for the future, illuminating both the physical, and the more metaphysical. So it was.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:46:55 pm »

From the vast nothing Naragoth, the Maker was forme

Besides the glowing light or the Orb, he pulled the space around a spot, making The sphere of landand holes, a large planets filled with interweaving tunnel system reaching all the way to the core, with the tunels shift, form and filled with earth on a constant basis.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:55:17 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 06:48:26 pm »

Naragoth

You also need to post your action, too.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:56:10 pm »

Naragoth

You also need to post your action, too.
Done, thought there was an IC thread.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not Enough Gods - a God Game (1/3 Slots Taken)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 06:59:05 pm »

Teir, the Living Pantheon rises and immediately set to work unspooling the threads of a new god.

They, who would embody Judgement the act of assessing one's path and finding the way forward. Let them wake and prepare the way that all would have the opportunity to judge themselves.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:22:56 pm by Talion »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Not Enough Gods - a God Game (One Slot Left)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 07:05:45 pm »

Diresugar available for future ages.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not Enough Gods - a God Game (Waiting List Open)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:06:33 pm »

Alright, actions are locked for this turn.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 07:15:43 pm »

Welp put me on the waitlist.
If I'm coming in to being later can I pick a name then too?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 07:33:55 pm »

Welp put me on the waitlist.
If I'm coming in to being later can I pick a name then too?
Sure, np. I haven't rolled to see who was picked from the waitlist yet, so it's up in the air between you and ironyowl.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:41:20 pm by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 07:53:48 pm »

Age of the Cosmos
Turn 1

Odius, the Architect of Creation
Light Domain: (2) +1
From nothing, came something, and that something included the first of the First True Gods, Odius the Architect of Creation.

Odius reached forth his power, and began to shape. Thus it was decreed by him, that there should be a sphere, a vast glowing shell around a fiery core that exhaled breaths of raw light and energy, illuminating the empty space around it, colors metamorphosing into different colors with every era to show the aggregate will of the gods. This was the Illuminating Orb of Eras, a bright star for the realm, a guiding light for the future, illuminating both the physical, and the more metaphysical. So it was.

Roll: Auto-Success

The First of the First True Gods created by the Antecedent, this glimmer named itself Odius, the Architect of Creation.

Eager to begin, Odius set about his (for he declared himself a him) work.  Starting with the most simple shape, Odius crafted a circle, then granted it depth.  The sphere was but a ball of excitement and fire contained within a shell glowing with the chaotic fire of creation.  Light blossomed from this sphere, rippling through a cascade of colors attuned to the Will of the Gods.  As the Gods were formless still, size was irrelevant; it was simultaneously both the largest and smallest thing in all of creation.

Proud of his creation, Odius bestowed a name upon his craft.  It would be known as the Illuminating Orb of Eras.

And so it was, indeed. (Odius gains +2 Advancement in the Domain of Light)

Naragoth, the Maker
Earth: (2) +1
From the vast nothing Naragoth, the Maker was forme

Besides the glowing light or the Orb, he pulled the space around a spot, making The sphere of landand holes, a large planets filled with interweaving tunnel system reaching all the way to the core, with the tunels shift, form and filled with earth on a constant basis.

Second among the Antecedent's children was Naragoth, the Maker.

Seeing the work already done by his (for he had declared himself a him as well) elder brother, Naragoth worked deftly in the glow of the Orb of Eras.  Naragoth gathered the space around himself into a Ball and fixed it in place a ways away from the Orb.  Made from Space rather than pure Nothing, this Ball was smaller than the Orb, and as of yet un-named.  Voids filled the surface, for that was what it was crafted from; tunnels digging and weaving throughout the Ball like a worm-eaten apple.  And yet despite being cold and dark compared to the Orb, the Ball was of constant motion.  Tunnels appeared and filled moment to moment, linking and unlinking far-away portions of the surface.  Unmoving as it was, the Orb of Eras shinned down and warmed the surface from afar. 

And thus the Will of the Gods illuminated the Craft of Naragoth. (Naragoth gains +2 Advancement in the Domain of Earth)

Teir, the Living Pantheon
Godcraft: (2) +1
Teir, the Living Pantheon rises and immediately set to work unspooling the threads of a new god.

They, who would embody Judgement the act of assessing one's path and finding the way forward. Let them wake and prepare the way that all would have the opportunity to judge themselves.

The third child of the Antecedent was humble Teir, the Living Pantheon.

The youngest of the three, Teir was struck with a terrible loneliness.  And so Teir turned their attention from the works of their brothers and began unspooling the very threads of creation to weave together a new God - the first Grandchild of the Antecedent, and the first Divine created by the First True Gods.

Let them embody Judgement, Teir whispered.  Let them prepare the way that all would have the opportunity to Judge themselves.

(Waitlist: Diresugar, Sensei.  1d2=2: Sensei)

And thus a new, shivering glimmer was pulled into the universe.  They were but the youngest and weakest, a fraction created by a fraction, but a full God in their own right.  In their mercy, Teir granted a gift to their child - the Domain of Judgement.

(Teir gains +2 Advancement in the Domain of Godcraft)
([sensei] gains +1 Advancement in the Domain of Judgement)

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
Re: Not Enough Gods - Age 1, Turn 2 (Join now or else you're lame)
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 08:20:14 pm »

Joining the waiting list.
God Name: Attican.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:31:48 pm by TheFantasticMrFox »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 08:32:03 pm »

The gaze of Odius looked upon what had been formed, crafted, and birthed by the True, and while Odius had no language yet, only raw concepts, nonetheless Odius was pleased. Creation had occurred, and it was good. In the aura of his soul, his pleasure radiated out to the other gods.

There was more to do, of course. Odius stretched forth his essence and embedded Luminosity within the light of the Illuminating Orb of Eras, a light that was not mere light, but just a bit more. At first it would have no purpose, but Odius knew in time there would be beings and things that could collect the power within the Luminosity, and use it for their ends. What ends those were, did not concern Odius. Occasionally, Odius noticed, the Luminosity coalesced into Luminous Shards on the surface of the Sphere of Land and Holes. Odius' aura contained the concept of curiosity, and of patience. Odius would wait and see what those Luminous Shards would become useful for.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 08:50:26 pm »

Teir knew that the work was only beginning and yet they feared; loneliness might yet twist the grand creation to come. Teir knew not the perfect solution to this problem, but perhaps by their craft; the answer could be sought. Thus they began to form another god.

May they pursue the Hearth, that space surrounding oneself that each being ought to shape to a form they find pleasing and familiar. May such things gird that which is, against that which comes after. May we be shielded from it by the many creations to come and take pleasure in our continued invention.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7