Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companions killed by enormous ice walls  (Read 1474 times)

sanchezman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companions killed by enormous ice walls
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:33:42 pm »

My adventurer and his companions were walking over the northern ice fields of my world in order to reach a new continent.  Halfway across the frozen expanse, my game lagged.  Suddenly, there was a huge square wall of ice where my character had just been standing.  Unfortunately for my slow companions, several of them were killed in the ice when it appeared.  I found the corpse of one of my friends outside the ice wall, but there wasn't much indication of what happened.  The walls kept appearing as I continued walking, and soon all of my companions ended up trapped in a frozen grave.

Does anyone know what's going on here?  These ice walls are identically sized, and seem to appear both in front of me, and behind me, but never where I am standing.

*Update*
My adventurer is now surrounded on all sides by these ice walls.  They popped up behind me, and now I'm trapped.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:40:32 pm by sanchezman »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Companions killed by enormous ice walls
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:10:43 pm »

Yeah, that's what happens when you try to cross freezing oceans.

You should be able to climb [h] over the walls.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 09:07:06 pm »

you could also just turn off cave ins as those ice walls and the resulting Death that is the frozen ocean maw comes from water doesn't support ice walls and you're constantly moving on a natural bridge that notices there's no support and tries to fix that by crashing the chunk of land into the seabed splashing the water into the sky and instantly freezing it. also the process happens so fast that you only get like 2 ticks to react to it and you need to either be high enough that the cave in splash of water won't touch you or moving fast enough that you don't get caught in the freeze.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 09:17:09 pm »

That always happens on frozen oceans. I'm not entirely sure why. My best guess is it has something to do with how the game handles variations in elevation? Or maybe not. I have no idea.

At any rate, speaking from personal experience, it's only a matter of time until your adventurer meets the same fate as your companions. I'd recommend getting out of there post haste. The only safe way across is to fly. Not that most adventurers have the option.

Are flying mounts a thing? That would be cool.

sanchezman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 10:27:58 am »

you could also just turn off cave ins as those ice walls and the resulting Death that is the frozen ocean maw comes from water doesn't support ice walls and you're constantly moving on a natural bridge that notices there's no support and tries to fix that by crashing the chunk of land into the seabed splashing the water into the sky and instantly freezing it. also the process happens so fast that you only get like 2 ticks to react to it and you need to either be high enough that the cave in splash of water won't touch you or moving fast enough that you don't get caught in the freeze.
Thanks for the !!scientific!! explanation.  How can I disable cave-ins?  I'm not normally in favor of messing with vanilla df for my adventures, but given how BS these ice-walls of death have been, I'm willing to make an exception.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:37:08 am »

Thanks for the !!scientific!! explanation.  How can I disable cave-ins?  I'm not normally in favor of messing with vanilla df for my adventures, but given how BS these ice-walls of death have been, I'm willing to make an exception.
I personally just don't go into the oceans, and given how the current adventure mode is with party set up you could set up an adventurer party warp point to locales with outsiders, and probably player fort placements if you need to go somewhere that is not really near any civilization. though this does require you to have a save that doesn't take forever to go through 2 weeks to pull off, and more willing to retire the adventurer to set them up at a different spot, but it's vanilla so you don't have to mess with init files to turn off cave ins.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 03:38:12 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 03:51:03 am »

It's an option in the options menu (d_init.txt). No messing with raws required.

Wiki says:
Cave-ins can be disabled in the d_init.txt file by changing [CAVEINS:YES] to [CAVEINS:NO]

No doubt newb packs have the same option somewhere.