Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tales from Ashithadar: Sun berries and greed (Spoilers)  (Read 1874 times)

Tales from Ashithadar: Sun berries and greed (Spoilers)
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:06:25 am »

I meant to post about my world earlier, but forgot to, so I'll give you the story thus far:

I'm playing as a dwarven civilization called the Salve of Defenders. They've carved out their homes into the southern mountains and border two elven civilizations, a human civilization, and a necromancer tower. I wanted my first fort to produce very high quality alcohol, so I embarked in a good aligned grassland very close to the rest of my civilization. On the grassland we built our fort, Staffgorges, and only the finest alcohol, Sunshine, filled its barrels. Many great smiths would rise to prominence in Staffgorges, and the once small colony would be known not only for drunken nights in the tavern, but for armour and weapons of the highest quality. Notable figures in the fortress included Rimtar Vukrigamost, the mayor, and a former human monster slayer who had been transformed into a Putrid Zombie after an accident involving a necromancer and several troglodytes, after which he petitioned to become a citizen. On the fifth year of the fortress, the dwarves dug into the bowels of the earth and found an odd metal finer and more valuable than anything ever produced in Staffgorges in the years before. Like many dwarves, the denizens of Staffgorges were overtaken by their greed and found that something terrible was buried deep beneath the adamantine. Had the masons been faster in walling off the underground, Staffgorges may have continued to stand to this day. Unfortunately, the rock was too heavy, and the masons too exhausted, and so the terrible beasts from beneath the earth entered the fortress. The commander of the militia met the demons first, and slew many and wounded many others before he fell. The remainder of the militia charged in, and were tossed aside like children's toys by the demons. As the only remaining member of the militia, the human Putrid Zombie fought with a web-spitting pteranodon and managed to break one of its legs with his war hammer before he fell. The foul pteranodon then slaughtered one hundred before the survivors fled Staffgorges. Though many may see Staffgorges as a mistake not to be repeated, the Salve of Defenders saw the riches generated in Staffgorges, and so they founded a new fort, Skinnedfences, in the good hills to the north of the mountainhomes. Skinnedfences had a much more permitting climate than Staffgorges, with the temperature being warm all year round, and clean water in the form of a brook. However, the ground beneath Skinnedfences was much less profitable, being less rich in iron and being mostly composed of a light aquifer. Despite these hindrances, Skinnedfences managed to produce steel, and masterwork armour would be forged once more. The fort would attract a few migrants, most refugees from Staffgorges, but (conveniently soon after offending an elven caravan) A giant ashen web-spitting hedgehog, Kul Deepmines the Unholy Paddle Burial of Dungeons arrived. All in Skinnedfences were killed, except for Alath the axedwarf, a child, and Tobul Thothurvad, a legendary bowyer who accidentally became a necromancer in Staffgorges. Tobul and Alath managed to slay the beast, with Tobul earning the nickname "Deathspurn". Skinnedfences would continue to prosper after this, and many migrants would arrive, among them Rimtar Vukrigamost, who became mayor after the previous mayor of Skinnedfences was ousted as a vampire. Skinnedfences still stands to this day, now entering its sixth year, and high quality products such as sunshine, steel, and meat of rare beasts flow from Skinnedfences.

There's still a lot more that's happened in Ashithadar, but I just wanted to post the basic story about what's been happening with my civ so far.
Re: Tales from Ashithadar: Sun berries and greed (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:56:00 pm »

More information: A while back Rimtar went insane, so our broker Nish was elected mayor. A year later, an elf that became a citizen of my civilization would win the election. The sun very farm is going along nicely, and I'm also selectively breeding Unicorns and Mole Dogs. So far, two forgotten beasts, one Titan, a Roc, a Cyclops, a goblin siege, two werebeasts, and an elven ambush have attacked my fort, with all of them being killed with minimal dwarf casualties. Near the rest of my civilization, both elven civs previously allied with it have declared war. Curiously enough, the elves also seem to be at war with each other. Down south, one of my civilization's fortresses seems to have been overrun with elves from the Pine of Fastening, the more powerful elf civilization. Meanwhile, the other elf civilization, the Immortal Morning, are doing badly. Humans from the Silvery Confederacies, who are allied with my civilization are swallowing their territory and the Pine of Fastening conquered their capital, and killed their entire nobility. I have a squad of axedwarves who are all Legendary in Axe, Fighting, Dodging, Armour, Shield, and Discipline. Through constant pillaging, I've managed to destroy many settlements occupied by the local goblin civ, the Ugly Tick.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:24:48 pm »

Just had another goblin siege, a few goblins managed to get killed by some weapon traps I loaded with weapons from the previous siege, but they eventually made it past the traps, and at that point were slaughtered by our axe and hammer lords. Interestingly enough, the commander of my hammer division, Ago Ūsbuūd used to be a member of the Ugly Tick (The goblins I'm at war with) so I like to imagine some of the goblins attacking my fort recognized Ago and were overcome with bitterness over the fact that one of their kin could betray them. Ago came from the dark goblin fortress of Squarewitch, capital of the Ugly Tick, and joined my fort as a long term resident, then as a citizen of the Salve of Defenders (my civilization). Another interesting thing about Ago: she actually sees peace as being preferable to war, and values a peaceful society without dissent. I see this as Ago raising her war hammer in order to smash the horrors she had seen when she lived in the dark fortress, and ensure a peaceful society for future generations.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:49:43 am »

Cleaning up after the siege, planning on constructing a wall on the norther part of the embark rectangle (where the invasions seem to arrive from) to stop dwarves from getting stressed after seeing so many mangled mutilated goblin corpses
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:46:24 pm »

Killed two forgotten beasts. Also found out the original queen of the Salve of Defenders is still ruling and is a necromancer.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 03:57:29 pm »

Anybody know if slaughtering muscular animals or slaughtering fat animals gives you better returns? I'm working on developing a strain of unicorn that provide optimal returns. Also, does an animal being weak provide you with less meat?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 03:29:36 pm »

I've started counter attacks on the goblins, killing most of their population. I've also began building a wooden wall around the fort, and got surprised by two elven ambushes, who managed to kill a carpenter before my militia crushed them.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 03:34:47 pm »

A Roc (with an elven name, how convenient) attacked. Killed a marksdwarf in front of her baby before the axe dwarves killed it.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 04:55:42 pm »

I have a goblin pumping out masterwork clothing, have lots of soap and prepared meals, and am starting to engrave the bedrooms. After cleanup from goblin sieges, lots of dwarves became stressed, so I'm wondering if there any any other good ways to improve the quality of my dwarves' lives. As a side note, I just conquered a hillocks that once belonged to another dwarves civilization, the Knife of Anvils, but has since been taken over by the Ugly Tick. I just took the hillocks from the goblins, bringing the population of the Ugly Tick down to around 280.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 03:33:10 pm »

I had to retire the fort after I tried to point a rather important necromancer to the position of baron. I unretired the fort, and the necromancer doesn't seem to be there, and all the booze was gone. I've now replaced the booze, so things are back to normal. As a side note, my militia commander has 239 total kills.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 08:28:42 pm »

My fort recently reached metropolis rank, and I've began construction on a very large tavern, and am digging for adamantine. My fortress was recently attacked by the Pine of Fastening, with elves charging through the gate. My hammer division held position, killed 38 of the elves and drove the others away without taking any injuries or casualties. I've also donated enough to the dwarven caravan to be able to summon my monarch, but I don't know if a forest is dwarfy enough for our queen.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 12:05:36 pm »

More incelves have come attack, this time from the Immortal Morning. Instead of charging my gate, like the braver Pine of Fastening elves, they instead decided to sneak in through a portion of my wall that wasn't constructed yet. They were led by a horse, who managed to maul one of my citizens to death before being killed. Around 45 elves and horses were killed, with a few horses escaping. The elves decided to be extremely inconsiderate by leaving a pile of knife-eared corpses outside the doors to my fortress.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 03:21:09 pm »

A pro tip:

include an image or two in your story. I use Lightshot to take screenshots and Imgur to host them. It helps people get a picture of what's going on, especially showing your z-screen.

Other than that, keep it up. Consider this a PTW
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 02:20:43 pm »

Had another Elven attack from the immortal morning