Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowed Return  (Read 1326 times)

bobcowski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cowed Return
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:11 am »

Howdy everyone.

I'm creating this thread to prevent a necro post of an old thread, but noticed a few months back that there was a topic in regards to the game Cow RP/Cowed. As a child I used play the heck out of those game. Of course upon happening upon a few topics regarding it I searched to see if either games were still active, which unfortunately wasn't the case. So I spent a few months looking through my old laptops and PCs HDD only to happen upon a copy of some old source code of Cowed. I spent some time learning Byond programming as I'm a software engineer by trade, in which I modified the crap out of the code and more or less just made a sort of updated version of Cowed.

I've popped up a Hub on Byond for it and have a server hosted for the time being. The overall goal of this little project is to just play around with the game like I did as a kid, with people of course, and hopefully within the month, with some additional modifications to the source code, will post both the unmodified and modified sources onto the Hub too, so if anyone wants to give the game a go and heaven forbid it die again, at least they can play it. Anyhow I felt I should at least pop a post up about this for those who seemed interested in the old thread.

HUB; http://www.byond.com/games/Cowed_Revival/CowedRevival?tab=index
Post I'm referring to; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174586.0

Thanks. :)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cowed Return
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 12:50:03 pm »

Woah. Did not expect to see an actual post from an escaped lunatic. I might check it out later if this is legitimate, I have plenty of free time because of current events.

E: It'd be cool if it was in an engine that wasn't BYOND, I remember BYOND being pretty... terrible...

E2: It works. I'm in game. I have no idea how to play, and nobody else is on at the moment but it's great to see a playable version of this once again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:07:43 pm by Ozyton »

bobcowski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 01:32:26 pm »

Yeah that's the issue, byond us garbage. I'm considering starting a project akin to this in C++ at some point in the future, it'd run better and let's be honest, it'd make it far more accessible.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 04:56:47 pm »

Hell yeah! I miss the hell out of CowRP. The SS13 community has a ton of old CowRP players pretty sure, a long time ago I joked about a revival with some coders and spriters I was working on another project with and they actually took it somewhat seriously. Never acted on it but I might try posting this in places and (if it doesn't get taken down) try to get a real population up.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

bobcowski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 05:20:47 pm »

Well it's based off the Cowed source, which unfortunately isn't as good as Cow RP. Hope you enjoy the server. Hopefully I get the bugs ironed out and the source stable enough that I can just throw it up for others to do as they please with.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 01:54:40 pm »

Heard anything back yet Vivalas? I know it's only a day or two old and probably needs development time but it'd suck if this get abandoned so early on.

bobcowski

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 01:16:20 am »

I'm still developing, there's a link to a discord in the hub that I'm making sure to update any changes I've made to.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 08:12:30 pm »

Heard anything back yet Vivalas? I know it's only a day or two old and probably needs development time but it'd suck if this get abandoned so early on.

Yeah I got a discord up here: https://discord.gg/DhmaNGz

There is a plan to release the source code, so hopefully everyone will be able to update the code and mod CowRP to be something more than it was. I know I've always wanted to at least.

My current plan is to coordinate playtimes with a few surveys and then ping everyone at those times so we can get some nice populated rounds up. The discord is growing slowly so I  have my hopes up.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars