Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Covid Shelter Challenge  (Read 2877 times)

eurydike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Covid Shelter Challenge
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:20 pm »

Dwarf Covid Shelter Challenge

The coronavirus has made it's way into the dwarven realms, and now dwarves have to implement their own social distancing policies to avoid infection and losing the shelter challenge  :'(.

The rules:

I. Choose a barren embark location with conditions inhospitable to the coronavirus
   Either scorching or freezing temperature
   Biome glacier, tundra, mountain, rocky wasteland, or sand desert

II. Avoid all contact with the rest of the realm. If the dwarves come into contact with the outside world they catch the coronavirus and challenges is lost.
  Seal off the entrance to your fortress Dwarf Covid Shelter
  If an outpost liaison or migrants arrive to the fortress, the challenge is lost.
  If the dwarves come into contact with wildlife (excluding vermin), kobolds or gnomes, the challenge is lost.
  If the dwarves drink water from a natural river, they'll be infected with the coronavirus, and worse yet, the challenge is lost.
  Cavern creatures have not contracted the coronavirus yet, contact with them is allowed.

Note: These rules effectively forbid trade and migrants arriving into the fortress, therefore in order for the population to grow, dwarves have to make babies. Same applies to livestock brought along for the embark. Choose wisely.  8) ;D

Respond to the thread with a story about how did your dwarves go about with the challenge
What kind of starting location did you choose, and why?
What kind of embark equipment, skills did you pick, and what was the rationale?
What kind of fortress Dwarf Covid Shelter did the dwarves build and how did it work out?
What did you decided to do first and what was left for later?
Provide some screenshots from some interesting aspects of your fortress Dwarf Covid Shelter
You can also reflect on the significance of interaction with others for the sake of enjoyment and prosperity. Without trade, building the fortress Dwarf Covid Shelter might be less fun  ::).

That's it. This thread is for just for fun and none of the rules are absolutely required to follow, if you're interested in taking on the Dwarf Covid Shelter Challenge in some different way, that's fine. Good luck and farewell  :'( :'( :'(.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:43:19 am by eurydike »

eurydike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Covid Shelter Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:00:19 am »

Unfortunately I discovered that migrants show up even if you have sealed off the fortress, same seems to apply to liaison. There was a misunderstanding. In an earlier fortress, there was an undead siege very early on. I responded to that by sealing off the entrance, and left the undead linger on the surface. This resulted to that there were no caravan, and no migrants. I understood that undead interfere with them, but also misunderstood that sealing off the fortress has an effect. So this so called `challenge` doesn't make much sense. I'd delete the thread, but I don't think it's possible.

This thread is slated for removal

Waiting for moderator . . .

Apologizes for the inconvenience caused. Hopefully no one who was not already aware of how this actually works ended up trying this and then got disappointed.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 01:35:58 pm »

haha I kind of liked the challenge idea, though it really boils down to 'no surface contact,' which is actually the easiest way to play DF!

Maybe if the dwarves had to practice social distancing through individual burrows and huge corridors between rooms? Micromanagement hell, for sure, but maybe kind of fun all the same.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 01:46:06 pm »

I mean, you can set the pop-cap real low-- and you don't have to let the migrants and caravans and suchlike in. You can just let them hang on the surface or whatever.  ;)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:52:20 pm »

Are you actually adding it with a mod?
Because it could be added with a mod.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:36:26 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 11:08:14 pm »

I know this is quite old and marked for removal by the OP, but I thought I'd point out a couple of things.

- If you set your population cap to 1, you will get no migrants (but see below)
- Not having a trade depot means the caravan will by pass your site.
- It's easy to turtle and keep the door locked so your outpost liason doesn't come in contact with your dwarfs.
- If you choose an almost dead civ, your outpost liason is unlikely to come anyway.  Almost dead civ might be thematically !fun! (don't think about it too much!)

I've run challenges like this quite a bit (dwarf outcast scenario).  It is very fun, especially if you don't give them much.  For example, if you only give your dwarfs a pick, a barrel of ale, a barrel of pond turtle meat and a battle axe, they will have to tunnel all the way to the cavern layers to get mushrooms to make booze.  And with no access to water...  So you can make it really quite difficult if you want.  Running a fortress with only 7 dwarfs is also quite fun as you get to know them quite a bit.  Also it *really* limits what you can build as you have nowhere near enough labour force for everything you need.

I highly recommend giving it another try!  But, as I alluded to, you could also have a very *special* challenge in that you allow migrants, but each group of migrants would have to be completely isolated from each other ... say for 1 year.   So each migrant group would have to make their own fortress and avoid the other fortresses (easiest to have physical barriers rather than burrows I think).  Then after a year, they could tunnel towards each other.  I think this would also be quite fun and potentially even more difficult to manage.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:39:51 am »

My idea would be to create actual contagious illnesses to seed the world with.  Ilnesses could be passed using a GREETING interaction (perhaps ATTACK as well, allowing you to catch it from an invader) and could have numerous effects, from the benign to the fatal, and would last for a certain amount of time.
The initial source of the infection could be a divine curse, giving a unit immunity to the disease but the ability to pass it on, forever.  This would make it possible for one to occasionally show up as a migrant, merchant, visitor or invader.  It wouldn't be guaranteed but it would be something that could happen and you'd have to prepare for it.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 07:36:52 pm »

I remember plating with only one dwarf, when migrants was starved to death in room with locked door. You may build quarantine rooms for migrants.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 04:21:55 pm »

My idea would be to create actual contagious illnesses to seed the world with.  Ilnesses could be passed using a GREETING interaction (perhaps ATTACK as well, allowing you to catch it from an invader) and could have numerous effects, from the benign to the fatal, and would last for a certain amount of time.
The initial source of the infection could be a divine curse, giving a unit immunity to the disease but the ability to pass it on, forever.  This would make it possible for one to occasionally show up as a migrant, merchant, visitor or invader.  It wouldn't be guaranteed but it would be something that could happen and you'd have to prepare for it.

I think that would be an awesome curse from a god - contagious plague with a random set of conditions and a nigh immortal "typhoid mary".  Like those affected by a were-curse, it would protect those it affected from getting hit with that same plague again.  Viola: "herd immunity"  Of course, this could also be used as a kind of Holy Quest too: suppose those who "caught" the plague suddenly had that deity added to the deities they worshipped on top of whatever other symptoms there were.  Those that survived would bolster the ranks of the faithful - a direct benefit to the deity who made the curse in the first place.  (I've often wondered how the deities who used these were-curses and vamp-curses benefitted from basically making beings that would go out and kill a bunch of their other worshippers.  Seems like it would be a net loss to do so.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 06:24:50 pm »

So, I think about some changes in this challenge. For preventing caravans I can add ANIMAL definition that prevents dwarf civ from using any animal as pack or wagon puller, so dwarves will be 'No Trade' and you will start without two worthless animals. Preventing of two first migrants waves may be impossible (I don't try removing ACTIVE_SEASON, so you can try), but you can drown all migrants without direct contact - just fast build trap project and then get lock in fortress.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 06:27:37 pm »

Also, if modding is allowed (and needed), I suggest adding face veils to dwarves. Every dwarf need to wear face veil outdoors. If dwarf get outdoor without face veil - starve contagious in quarantine.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 08:17:50 am »

You can go in with a dwarven digging team and make some 3-wide channels in a grid system, link them all up with 1-wide bridges (1 per "island") before abandoning it., With a reclaim, each wave of migrants would go to a "meeting place" that is one island removed from the last set, including the original 7. Once they all get there, the bridge is removed and for better or worse, that's the place they get to call "home".  If the embark is next to a river, the channels would allow for fishing and drinks, which might feed a population that doesn't have a single miner.  The logs from the deconstructed bridge would help set them up with basic workshops.

Could be fun to see how the different populations thrive or decay, much like we have now.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii