Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: XCOM: Chimera Squad - XCOM SWAT, aka XCOPS  (Read 9171 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Chimera Squad - XCOM SWAT, releasing April 23
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 09:11:48 pm »

For gods sakes. It's not X-com (Main series) they literally call it a game set in the X-com universe. It's a spinoff, and one that isn't going for major game prices either for being a smaller game.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 09:29:45 pm »

Edit: Just a back-and-forth system with the potential for fiddling instead of proper initiative, looks like?
Ah, is the OP misleading then? ‘Cause I’d do I’m happy to edit it.

Nah, don't worry about it. You suggested watching the gameplay trailer, which was indeed worth it.

I dunno man. Maintaining peace among different factions in one single huge futuristic city featuring alien-human hybrids from past alien invasions? Seems pretty Apocalypse to me.

Hopefully it does go that direction, but my impression from the trailer seemed more of translating the nations into districts - that is, they don't necessarily interact with one another, you just need to keep them each from getting too panicky.

Regardless, the impression I'm getting from this is that if you liked the combat engine in the more recent XCOM series, you'll probably enjoy this. I'm honestly a bit undecided on how proven the XCOM battle engine is for my personal tastes, but at this price point I may give it a whirl to see if the added complexity pushes it over the top.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 09:47:25 pm »

Looks interesting. Seems like it could be fun, especially since its a $10 game, so its not like the devs are trying to say its in the same league as the big XCOM games.

Also if this was XCOM 3, I think we'd know about it sooner than 9 days before release.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 11:04:55 pm »

Pretty excited about this, will be interesting if the new breach phase will eliminate the need for the usual pod mechanics, which could be very cool on the Xcom 2 engine (sure looks like a lot of animations and assets were borrowed). 

Also, with modding supported I can't wait for all Chryssalid swat team.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 06:59:34 am »

I read the first bullet-point and all I can say is

TRAAAAAAAAAAASH   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 09:19:50 am »

My favorite thing about being a fan of X-Com (or any long-lived franchise) is how whenever a new game is released, a subset of people are waiting in the wings just to seethe and complain about the franchise being ruined whenever a new title is announced. We get it: we're horrible sheeple, the series is destroyed, gaming ain't what it used to be, kids these days, stupid casuals, so on and so forth.

Or maybe the hip, trendy thing is to view everything through a lens of morbid cynicism. Enjoying things is so 2010's, welcome to the modern day where being excited or even hopeful is wrongthink.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:21:28 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 10:02:52 am »

It’s amusing how reliably the NuCOM haters (hate that word but I guess it fits) come out of the woodworks for stuff like this, at least.

Also does anyone get heavy Mordin from Mass Effect vibes from the sectoid dude in the trailer? Just from his design and voice acting (which I’m too lazy to compare voice actors of), I get the impression.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 10:28:19 am »

Nope, your are not. Mordin was the first thing to come to my head when he was starting to talk.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 07:12:06 pm »

I'm not being a "hater", I'm not even a massively devoted fan to new- or old-com, but by removing a little thing like permadeath, meaningful progression and, oh, I don't know, the possibility of failure they have completely excised anything that made X-Com, X-Com.   

Seriously, I wasn't "waiting in the wings" to complain about the game, I was as ready as anyone to get foolishly excited for a SWAT-style X-Com game set in some whacky future city. But then that first dot-point shat all over everything good about the franchise, soooo... might as well make it a mobile clicker game at this point, what with them going for smaller markets or whatever.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 10:11:45 pm »

I'm not being a "hater", I'm not even a massively devoted fan to new- or old-com, but by removing a little thing like permadeath, meaningful progression and, oh, I don't know, the possibility of failure they have completely excised anything that made X-Com, X-Com.   

Seriously, I wasn't "waiting in the wings" to complain about the game, I was as ready as anyone to get foolishly excited for a SWAT-style X-Com game set in some whacky future city. But then that first dot-point shat all over everything good about the franchise, soooo... might as well make it a mobile clicker game at this point, what with them going for smaller markets or whatever.   

Game over still counts as failure, yes? (Different sort, I know). Perhaps more relevantly, the gameplay preview showed that squaddies put in the 'bleed out' state can end up with injuries, which require cash and recovery time to clear up. Assuming there's some time pressure, that could create enough of a punishment to work.

(There are android troopers that can fill in for troops if needed - they lack specialties like the named squaddies, but can presumably shoot a gun okay.)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 07:57:35 am »

Maybe the better analogy is that this is like Final Fantasy Tactics compared to Final Fantasy.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 09:09:55 am »

Maybe the better analogy is that this is like Final Fantasy Tactics compared to Final Fantasy.

I was thinking Fallout Shelter.

Eh, people being cooped up makes them antsy. It was obvious we were exaggerating/joking; just let them vent.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 09:12:00 am »

This is clearly the Blood Dragon to XCOM 2's Far Cry 3. They took the engine, had a little fun with it and kicked out a standalone side game. If we get this for XCOM 3 sure, that'd be annoying as hell. But it's a $10 side-game using the XCOM setting to provide some flavour to it instead of having to invent a whole new setting for it.

The Bureau wasn't a bad idea because it was FPS in an XCOM setting, it was a bad idea because it was supposed to be a major XCOM game after a long hiatus and without them telling us "oh by the way we're working on a real XCOM-style game as well". And the game itself sucked regardless of XCOMness.

Given that XCOM a franchise and the gameplay style isn't dead anymore, I'm willing to evaluate it as a squad-based tactical game in the XCOM setting, without needing it to have all the hardcore traits of the full 'XCOM-style' game that it clearly isn't trying to be.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:14:49 am by MorleyDev »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 09:17:24 am »

The Bureau wasn't a bad idea because it was FPS in an XCOM setting, it was a bad idea because it was supposed to be a major XCOM game after a long hiatus and without them telling us "oh by the way we're working on a real XCOM-style game as well". And the game itself sucked regardless of XCOMness.

And also that they implied it would be a faithful re-creation of the old x-com games to get people on-board, then did a bait-and-switch.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 10:11:07 am »

I was thinking Fallout Shelter.

Yeah after I hit post, I realized, hey, Fallout is the even better analogy, because of the multiple layers of betrayal, improvement, and further betrayal. Before Fallout Shelter... there was... Fallout 3.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7