Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting a new laptop  (Read 5022 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a new laptop
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 05:10:30 am »

Thanks again for the replies!
As for battery life, that's not really a concern, for I have my laptop plugged in to main power nearly all the time anyways.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 08:13:34 am »

I know... Upgradability...
I tried virtually building a desktop rig at a computer store site, but, even without the added cost of a monitor, which I don't have, and the added costs of having it assembled, I don't seem to be able to stay below the price of a similarily specced laptop, at least if I want an i7-9xxx, 16GiB RAM, SSD and at least a Geforce 1660.

And I couldn't find any decent pre-built desktops in my price range either.

Yeah, pre-built desktops pretty much have either a low-end and an extreme high-end. Mid-range and up you're better off building your own. I forget about that. We can probably walk you through the process, but you'd need to turn the screwdriver yourself.

A desktop would net you a much better monitor and keyboard, fewer heat issues (including performance-related ones), possibility for upgrades, and longer life, but if you're looking at slightly higher prices, it's a decision.

16 GB of RAM and that GPU are good enough for now, but might lead to performance issues in a year or so (more big game companies are aiming for 4k or even 8k graphics as a low-end, which takes massively more resources).

PPS this is not an uncomplicated conversation. Everyone has different needs and good quality parts are restocking inconsistently right now.

Yeah. Once you have a desktop, it's cheaper to upgrade or even rebuild, but from where you are today, it's not an easy choice.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 09:05:19 am »

Okay, with some help from dear old mom, I found another 100 euros, and went for a lenovo legion laptop.
Lenovo Y540-15IRH. It has it all.
i79750H, 16GiB RAM, 1Tb SSD, Geforce RTX 2060.
Let's hope this one lasts me as long as my previous ASUS.
It will be delivered tomorrow   -hyped-

I am most curious if I can now finally make DF forts with more than 100 - 120 pop without dropping into single digit FPS haha
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 10:59:44 am »

Okay, with some help from dear old mom, I found another 100 euros, and went for a lenovo legion laptop.
Lenovo Y540-15IRH. It has it all.
i79750H, 16GiB RAM, 1Tb SSD, Geforce RTX 2060.
Let's hope this one lasts me as long as my previous ASUS.
It will be delivered tomorrow   -hyped-

I am most curious if I can now finally make DF forts with more than 100 - 120 pop without dropping into single digit FPS haha

Eventually you have so much clutter/items that even 200 pop doesn't matter as much. The Legion should serve you well. I ran some fairly hefty games on my older generation Y series. Stuff like Ark with some settings turned to medium. The RTX will help with Space Engineers. The 16GB RAM might end up as your bottleneck. You'll have to keep track of that for the future. RAM is one thing you can replace.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 07:50:15 pm »

Oh hey, a laptop I'm familiar with (lower-end specs, different model number, nigh-identical exterior and internals). It's bloat, but I'd recommend installing Lenovo Vantage (assuming it isn't preinstalled). It lets you adjust a bunch of settings related to the laptop. There's one setting in particular that I'd strongly recommend you turn on: Conservation Mode. It prevents your battery from being charged past 60% to increase its lifespan.
Pages: 1 [2]