Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LCS Reference in “AGI Federation”, a free tabletop RPG I made  (Read 4027 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Reference in “AGI Federation”, a free tabletop RPG I made
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 09:26:30 am »

That is a pretty good idea.
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 12:27:21 pm »

One argument in favor of religion even with the advent of "good VRs" is that all those "good VRs" are dependent on the security of the 'base reality' that they're located in (hence, why TPOs are a thing). A "good VR" may last for a hundred thousand years before it gets destroyed in the 'base reality', but an afterlife supported by an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent deity may last far longer than that - in fact, it would last for infinity. No matter how long the "utopia" last, it is guaranteed to inevitably fall - only the afterlife can guarantee "true" immortality.

Of course, the secular megacorps might scoff at such ideas, either (a) accepting the inevitability of death and being fine with living a temporary good life, or (b) believing that they might be able to avoid destruction and survive for an infinite period of time.

Quote from: Azerty
Speaking of good VRs, could we have penitentiary VR for defective TPOs and hellish VRs for religious MegaCorps wanting to punish workers?

Of course! Part of the reason why they're Transhumans is that I want a good fluff justification for 'clone backups', but the existence of clone backups means that the death penalty isn't that much of a deterrence for crime (you can just come back to life). Sending a TPO off to penitentiary/hell, on the other hand...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:32:12 pm by Skynet »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 05:24:22 pm »

Well, the death penalty still exists.  Only good and loyal TPOs get clone backups.  Those who go rouge don't get to come back to life.  Every TPO knows this.
...although they're pretty valuable so most will probably get respawned, maybe after a couple years in penitentiary VR.  Calling them Hell VR is considered "impolite".
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".
Pages: 1 [2]