Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sourcecode for Slaves to Armok  (Read 2051 times)

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sourcecode for Slaves to Armok
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:56:53 pm »

I chatted with Some people on Reddit about Armok 1. What a special game that is, filled with potential and vision, cozy 3d graphics and a great amount of freedom, as you Know if youve tried it.
It honestly is my favorite attempt at a proc-gen 3d rpg so far. It just has that special vibe.

Wouldnt it be great to be able to Play around with the sourcecode, attempt at adding the stuff toady never got around to. If the sourcecode still exists that is. If hes never gonna pick it up again, i Think the community Should have a go at it. My humble opinion.

It deserves a second shot. Its something special. Try it out if you havent, and See for yourself.

I didnt know where else to post this, since posting on the slaves to armok forum has been forbidden for 10 years.

Link to the game:
http://www.bay12games.com/armok/download.html

PS: if you want this to be a thing as much as I do, or even just a little bit, comment on here, and lets see if we can get toadys attention on this by asking him in a future of the fortress interview, or anything like that, if the sourcecode could be released. I dont know how else to reach him.

Does anyone know how to get a question in the mix in a future of the fortress interview?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:43:44 pm by MoltenIdol »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sourcecode for Slaves to Armok
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:07:53 pm »

Posting the same crap in multiple forums is a good way to irritate toady. And the rest of us.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sugardust

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Dyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »

Posting the same crap in multiple forums is a good way to irritate toady. And the rest of us.
This is a legitimate thread that I'm sure many people would be happy to talk about.

As for the topic itself, I think it is more than fair to ask if the sourcecode could be released. The game is over 20 years old at this point and hasn't been worked on in over a decade.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 02:29:16 pm »

And a 10 second forum search would show that this question has been asked for years and gotten the same response. But hey, why do that when you can just make more threads.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 05:39:48 pm »

Hey im sorry man, i looked in the section for Armok 1, and since posting there was restricted, i thought it wasnt an ongoing thing anymore. And i just posted it in multiple places, since i didnt know where a post like this would really belong.

Im just trying to show that people still care about this.
You mentioned something about this topic always getting the same response.
Care to share?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:49:40 pm by MoltenIdol »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 05:22:47 am »

Okay, thank you. Sorry about the multiple posts again, didnt think that through.

So the sourcecode seems to be lost, what a shame. I honestly believe, somewhere in my heart, that a game like ARMOK (3D) has infinitely more potential Than dwarf fortress, just by being 3D. Some might find this blasphemous, but i mean it. Just being able to tilt a Camera and See a sky texture, gives the world immersion beyond the capabilities of DFs permanently set topdown square World.
Not being grid based helps a damn Lot too.
I mean, the trees in armok are litterally Beautiful.
A mix of real time and and turn based? Oh my, such innovation!

So that saddens me :(