Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sourcecode for Slaves to Armok  (Read 4559 times)

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sourcecode for Slaves to Armok
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:50:45 pm »

I chatted with Some people on Reddit about Armok 1. What a special game that is, filled with potential and vision, cozy 3d graphics and a great amount of freedom, as you Know if youve tried it.
It honestly is my favorite attempt at a proc-gen 3d rpg so far. It just has that special vibe.

Wouldnt it be great to be able to Play around with the sourcecode, attempt at adding the stuff toady never got around to. If the sourcecode still exists that is. If hes never gonna pick it up again, i Think the community Should have a go at it. My humble opinion.

It deserves a second shot. Its something special. Try it out if you havent, and See for yourself.

I didnt know where else to post this, since posting on the slaves to armok forum has been forbidden for 10 years.

Link to the game:
http://www.bay12games.com/armok/download.html

PS: if you want this to be a thing as much as I do, or even just a little bit, comment on here, and lets see if we can get toadys attention on this by asking him in a future of the fortress interview, or anything like that, if the sourcecode could be released. I dont know how else to reach him.

Does anyone know how to get a question in the mix in a future of the fortress interview?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sourcecode for Slaves to Armok
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:02:05 pm »

Is it Monday already?

(Seriously, people have asked for this for years. It's not happening. I think Toady considers Armok kind of an embarrassing historical footnote.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 02:40:20 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107890.0

Considering the kind of herculean effort and dedication it takes to get things done in DF's code (based on how the updates read)... what kind of twisty chthonic horror must the StA code be?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 05:48:17 pm »

Well, i have little to no coding experinece, but youre probably right. And Im basically just posting this because i want to play an expanded flourishing StA, not because I can actually contribute with anything but art or ideas. Call me shellfish.

As embarrassing as the framework might be, its a lovely game with potential (theoretically, i dont know if that potential is hindered by spaghetti code). I really only wish for and rpg like that to be a thing. Big fan of 3D as a medium. But i still like it simple. The art is in the textures.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:19:34 pm by MoltenIdol »

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:17:17 pm »

Is it Monday already?

(Seriously, people have asked for this for years. It's not happening. I think Toady considers Armok kind of an embarrassing historical footnote.)

WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:21:51 pm by MoltenIdol »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 06:34:27 pm »

The source code's been lost to time, so it's impossible.

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:12:39 am »

@Nirur Torir

Are you sure? As in, one hunnid percent sure? That would be the saddest thing :'(

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 05:46:17 am »

So i cant seem to figure p
Out if anyone ACTUALLY asked Tarn for the sourcecode. It seems like most poeple just assumed that the source code is gone, or that Tarn doesnt want to share it.
I have yet to See a comment going "I asked, he said no", so I might just write him a VERY brief e-mail (to not annoy him to much with it).
If i get banned or some nonsense: worth a try.
If he gets mad at me for some reason: still worth it.

I just cant believe hed want to delete it. (I dont want to believe it!)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 06:09:22 am »

Look, you can annoy him if you want, or you can accept that this question has been asked and answered many times before. Asking again won't change it. Hell, you don't even plan to do anything with it yourself - even if he was sitting on the source code and has refused to release it until now, and only your silver-tongued persuasion can change his heart...

you then still expect someone else to pick up his source code and build you the game you want to play.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:42:44 am by Hanzoku »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:32 am »

So i cant seem to figure p
Out if anyone ACTUALLY asked Tarn for the sourcecode. It seems like most poeple just assumed that the source code is gone, or that Tarn doesnt want to share it.
I have yet to See a comment going "I asked, he said no", so I might just write him a VERY brief e-mail (to not annoy him to much with it).
If i get banned or some nonsense: worth a try.
If he gets mad at me for some reason: still worth it.

I just cant believe hed want to delete it. (I dont want to believe it!)
Since he open sourced most of his other works I think if the code still existed he would have put it out by now. A lot can happen in the over 15 years since he last touched that game so its very likely just gone. Anyone wanting to carry on in its stead would be far, far better off starting fresh in a newer engine anyway

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 12:57:12 pm »

You guys are probably right. I get so enthusiastic. Im actually trying to learning coding here and there, and always wanted to do something like it.'

I suspect, not expect, that someone would be interested in toying with it yes. I don't think I'm the only one to see potential in it. Obviously I haven't been the only one. But even though it indeed has a very special charm, starting from scratch might be a good idea.

If he truly gets annoyed, so be it. Its a simple question, and still, no one seems to know for sure if its forever gone.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:07:23 pm by MoltenIdol »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 02:01:30 pm »

and still, no one seems to know for sure if its forever gone.
Simply put, noone cares.

Even if it was a nice game in its time, there is no meaningful playerbase that would justify working on it. Especially since there is not even any serious commitment to actually work on it, beyond vague "ideas". "How cool would that be?" doesn't cut it.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 02:16:00 pm »

MoltenIdol, if you want to send a PM to Toady One, send it.  Don't be offended if he ignores you.  I think the direct approach would be best.

And we really don't need to know what happens from there.  Unless you put together a new game, then feel free to post it.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 02:21:35 pm »

And we really don't need to know what happens from there.

Actually, if you do get a response, post it here. Then there will be a recorded response from on high at least, to clear it up for the next person who asks.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2