Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Veganism and Vegetarianism Thread  (Read 14409 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Veganism and Vegetarianism Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2022, 06:02:46 am »

I find it hilariously funny that the veganism and vegetarianism has become the meat tasting thread.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2022, 07:01:18 am »

I find it hilariously funny that the veganism and vegetarianism has become the meat tasting thread.

I mean, mission accomplished  ;D We can go home now

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2022, 07:12:47 am »

That's the way our magic works.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2022, 01:44:34 pm »

Yeah I've been won over by gooey balls of ligament and connective tissue left over once the meat is cut out :P
I've always made it clear I'm not a strict vegetarian (anymore).  I like to eat organs, nuggets, and self-caught fish- anything that doesn't encourage the horrifying practice of factory farming.

It's seriously a stretch to call nuggets "meat" even though they definitely come from dead animals, heh.
But these Beyond nuggets!  I'm still hoping someone out there has tried them.  The Beyond Burger tasted just like meat to me, it was just too expensive.  That's actually a problem I've seen with veganism, where some people don't have access to a healthy strictly-vegan diet.  Living in food deserts or having insufficient rest time for cooking, that sort of thing.  Obviously that problem doesn't lie with veganism but with our messed up modern societies, and also with my other pet peeve: livestock subsidies using my tax dollars.

Anyway maybe I'll go find these nuggets for myself and do a taste test vs real "meat" nuggets.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2022, 09:53:02 pm »

I would rather go hungry for a day than try those KFC delights.

The thing is, most fabricated foods are confusing foods for your body. You possess this biological machine that uses pattern-recognition to tell you what nutrients it needs, and it insistently shoves pictures and memories of foods into your mind while you wander around, making you crave something you ate before. At the chemical level, your body is releasing dopamine when you smell those foods, when you put those foods in your mouth, and again when your body estimates that the food is in the belly. The quantity of dopamine is directly portioned to how badly your body desires the nutrients it expects from previous digestions of food that smelled/tasted this way. (This study is about the measuring of these dopamine releases and how they reinforce eating behaviors).

So, KFC's managing group didn't suddenly switch their agenda. Their menu includes only pre-processed veggies and they focus on standardized sights/smells/tastes to get you to crave their food. Maybe Beyond Nuggets also have the nutritional content, but I do not trust KFC to not add something addictive, because their only goal is to continue milking communities for money. Food deserts happen because people support a food industry that seeks maximum profit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2022, 10:05:27 pm »

Food deserts happen because people support a food industry that seeks maximum profit.

Food deserts happen because a lot of people are too money poor and too time poor to have better food.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2022, 01:45:09 am »

God Bless the Vegetarians and Vegans!

I've got a thing where I need to avoid animal proteins. 
As some of you might know, I'm almost 37 years old, and I've been living with it for most of my life.
It was actually worse in my childhood.

During the 90s, there were a lot less options available for non-dairy milk & ice cream.  It's mostly because of those Vegetarian and Vegan hipsters that the Market developed better and more varied options. Oat substitute of today is GREAT.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]