Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for #Bay12games irc logs from 2009-2010  (Read 829 times)

Zunaka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Looking for #Bay12games irc logs from 2009-2010
« on: April 23, 2020, 12:41:57 pm »

Hello, my name is Zunaka and I'm working together with a group of archivists in tracking down communities that were involved with early Minecraft so we can locate and archive early minecraft clients and servers. Since Bay12 was one of the earliest groups to start playing minecraft I'm hoping someone has kept IRC logs from the bay12 IRC from 2009-2010 or any other game communities IRCs that might have played from that time period.

So far we've managed to track down the logs from the Bay12Games IRC for 2008, while this is before Minecraft I'll share these in case someone else is interested in them: https://we.tl/t-sDD9eFFYjb

Also if you do happen to have anything Minecraft related from those years I'd love to get my hands on it, a good way to check is just to search your PC or any old PCs or hard drives you may have used back then for "minecraft" and check for files with older dates otherwise you can find versionsstored in the %temp% folder under folders like "Minecraft" "www.minecraft.net" or just minecraft.net. With different directories in them (Except the one just labelled "Minecraft").

The reason we are searching for these files and logs is because as time goes on, PC's get wiped and hard drives corrupt. It's our mission to preserve them before it's too late.

Thank you!

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for #Bay12games irc logs from 2009-2010
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:45:18 pm »

I'm the one who provided the logs for 2008, I somehow made a mistake with my backups and lost everything 2009-2015 which is a shame.
These guys are using the information in the logs to track down old versions or people who might have old versions of the client and server, some of them are really hard to come by because they were only out for a brief window.
Here's their spreadsheet so you can see just how many different versions there is out there https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OCxMNQLeZJi4BlKKwHx2OlzktKiLEwFXnmCrSdAFwYQ/edit#gid=872531987

Zunaka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for #Bay12games irc logs from 2009-2010
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 09:31:25 am »

Thanks again for providing them!