Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winds of joy and sadness: thinking beings  (Read 804 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Winds of joy and sadness: thinking beings
« on: April 24, 2020, 03:52:44 am »

Once, there was a Ball. A grey and colorless sphere of matter, hanging in infinite Darkness.
The ball could Think, but it had nothing to think about. The ball could Feel, but there was nothing to feel.

But from the darkness, twin Winds came. A wind of Joy, of brightness and activity. And a wind of Sadness, of darkness and inactivity.
The winds, being what they are, and possessing Agency, would act upon the ball, for the ball was the only thing to be acted upon.

But, what will the winds do with the ball?

Spoiler: The Ball (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Darkness (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Wind of Joy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Wind of Sadness (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:26:31 am by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winds of joy and sadness
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:48:10 am »

Matter
Infinite
Joy
Dark?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:09:49 am »

But, what will the winds do with the ball?
They beat the shit out of it sense it was in the wrong neighborhood.

I mean they carved a face into it so it could speak.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:19 am »

The winds each carve out small pieces, the wind of Joy making a small sphere that orbits the large one, and the Wind of Sadness also takes a chunk from the sphere and it orbits too, the net result being that the ball has two chunks, and two moons, one moon of joy, and one m0on of sadness, the craters will also be the crater of joy and the crater of sadness, respectively

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Winds of joy and sadness: a wind of Activity
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 02:54:16 pm »

The winds course with purpose, with Agency, and channel the sphere of Movement. The wind of joy whirls first with Activity, and with great force gouges into the ball. Thus, Pain is born.

Ripped free from its parent object, the matter in the wind's grasp is shaped into a smaller grey sphere, to be called the Moon of Joy. As the moon consists of matter, as does the ball, they slowly begin to fall together. However, the wind nudges the moon to the side, so that rather than falling in a line terminating in reunification, it will fall in a circle forever until moved.

The wind of sadness follows in its twin's wake, performing the same action, ripping free a chunk of matter from the side opposite of the first crater, and setting its own Moon of Sadness in an equal orbit, exactly symmetrical to its twin moon.

The ball, having a mind, thinks. For now there is motion, and things about which to think.
Things cannot be created from nothing, it thinks, but objects with the sphere of Agency may take action using the other spheres within that object.
Movement has been used to translate or deform objects that are matter, but perhaps not only matter can be moved.
Spheres other than Movement may be part of actions as well
, it thinks.
I am in pain, and I would wish it to stop or abate, but I am only a mind and I lack in agency.

Spoiler: The Moon of Joy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Moon of Sadness (click to show/hide)

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winds of joy and sadness: a wind of Activity
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:49:58 am »

Lets give some joy to the ball so it isn't in pain.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winds of joy and sadness: a wind of Activity
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 07:51:55 am »

Lets give some joy to the ball so it isn't in pain.
While this is happening, the winds of sadness try forming the contents within the Crater of Sadness into moving sadness creatures

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Winds of joy and sadness: thinking beings
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 08:25:57 am »

The wind of joy once again whirls, but this time the breeze's motive force moves nothing. At least, nothing physically. A warm, electrifying jolt of Joy whips through the ball's Mind, erasing its Ambivalence. However, the Pain remains, not being so simply tamed.
For Joy and Pain are not mutually exclusive, they cannot cancel each other out.

The wind of sadness whirls after its twin, but this time does not follow the other's action. Instead, it lowers itself down into one of the craters. It touches the Gray Matter there and wills it to move, and so it does. Pseudopods of Motile matter lift themselves from the crater's surface and begin to feel around. Because they are made from the same thinking material as the ball and remain in contact with it, they're more like limbs for the ball than individual creatures. Still, from contact with the Wind the small mind in the pseudopods feel sadness. At their base this sadness collides with the ball's joy, causing dissonance. Thus, the limbs wave and write in confusion.

The moons, orbiting the ball and being able to think, begin to think. I am not joyous, think the moon of joy. Meanwhile, occluded and hidden from it, the moon of sadness thinks I am not sad.
I am really fairly Ambivalent about this situation, they think.
I think I will be called Ardgarty thinks one, while the other thinks I think I will be called Baegarty. And so it is.

Spoiler: Baegarty Moon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ardgarty Moon (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winds of joy and sadness: thinking beings
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 09:30:24 am »

The Wind of Sadness makes Baegarty sad, while also making limbs for it

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 04:27:05 am »

Mm. Want to give an action for tWoJ, Nature?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 06:37:36 am »

Mm. Want to give an action for tWoJ, Nature?
I thought someone else was playing and could act for Joy, if not,
The wind of Joy causes Ardgarty to feel Joy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:02:27 am by Naturegirl1999 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 07:01:48 am »

I'm good with both of those actions.