Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knight of the Old Republic  (Read 5193 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Knight of the Old Republic
« on: April 26, 2020, 04:59:34 pm »

I've got the original Knights of the Old Republic working on my computer. It's one of the best Star War CRPGs out there, and is semi-based on D&D 3rd edition.

If anyone is interested, I can start up a new game, we can figure out what kind of character they'll be together, and I'll make screenshots along with commentary.

Available classes are scoundrel (rogue), soldier (fighter), and scout (skills monkey). At a certain point in the game you become a jedi, with similar classes: consular (space wizard), guardian (paladin), or sentinel (Somewhere in between? They're the only jedi class that gets 2 skill points per level). Jedi classes get half as many skills per level and fewer feats, but gain jedi powers and can use lightsabers. There are also 2 droid classes in the game, but we can't be one and they both kind of suck (in this game, T3 is awesome in KOTOR 2).

Due to a late-game decision, you can't finish the game as a grey jedi, you have to be light or dark side. There are also bonuses (+3 stat, extra damage, extra force point regen) for maxing out your alignment one way or the other. So we'll have to choose. However, it's pretty difficult to hit max light side before late game, so we don't need to worry about our choices too much.

The skill list is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're interested in watching this, let me know.

Character decisions: classes (one mundane and one jedi), light or dark side (dark side is slightly more difficult), and a general personality (helpful, preachy, sarcastic, flirty, dick, etc.).

Also, if anyone knows of a good way to convert .tga files into jpeg or other viewable files, that would be great. I found a website that will let me convert up to 2 per day, but that's not going to cut it. Screenshots for this game are always .tga files, which neither paint nor postimages will accept.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 05:20:32 pm »

Due to a late-game decision, you can't finish the game as a grey jedi, you have to be light or dark side.

Actually, you can finish the game as a Grey Jedi. If you are completely Dark Sided and then take the Light Side late-game choice, you turn Grey. Happened to me once when playing, and might also happen if you are completely Light and then make the Dark late-game choice. That being said, there’s very little benefit to being Grey other than making certain Force Powers cheaper to use, so it might make sense to pick one side and commit to it.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:22:35 pm »

Paint.NET handles .tga files.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 10:47:03 pm »

Due to a late-game decision, you can't finish the game as a grey jedi, you have to be light or dark side.

Actually, you can finish the game as a Grey Jedi. If you are completely Dark Sided and then take the Light Side late-game choice, you turn Grey. Happened to me once when playing, and might also happen if you are completely Light and then make the Dark late-game choice. That being said, there’s very little benefit to being Grey other than making certain Force Powers cheaper to use, so it might make sense to pick one side and commit to it.
Don't do Grey Jedi. It's one of the reasons my LP died. I had to make a damn chart.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:02:30 am »

Don't do Grey Jedi. It's one of the reasons my LP died. I had to make a damn chart.

My last playthrough helped with that. I put in a decent amount of effort to be full light side just before I got to the sith planet, and by then the bonus didn't matter. This time, I'm just doing whatever seems like fun, because it's more enjoyable.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 07:50:03 pm »

So, thoughts on what kind of character you'd like to see played? Light, dark, classes, builds? Level 2 character killing Bendak even though this game makes lightsabers defeat ranged weapons 90% of the time?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 05:00:24 am »

Character decisions: classes (one mundane and one jedi), light or dark side (dark side is slightly more difficult), and a general personality (helpful, preachy, sarcastic, flirty, dick, etc.).
Gib us the dick   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.