Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [47.04] SwrdNBcklr for Adventure Mode  (Read 6241 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
[47.04] SwrdNBcklr for Adventure Mode
« on: April 26, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »

SwrdNBcklr is a minor mod for Adventure Mode. It provides adventurers with single-step crafting reactions drawn from self-contained menus. As a minor mod, it makes few significant changes, preserving the vanilla Dwarf Fortress game experience. All comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcome.

Updated 05/24/2020:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Features:
- Brew drink, cook food, use spices
- Craft arms, armor, equipment and wearables
- Encumbrance management for slow travel gameplay
- Ranged weapons appear as weapon sets which can be separated into their constituent parts via the Bowyering menu
(the original idea for weapon sets belongs to Sver's DF Combat Reworked; and is used with permission)
- Roleplay equipment (bedrolls, scabbards for swords, etc)
- Search stacks for specific items

Download at http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15038
Install by dropping the files onto your RAW folder (agree to overwrite). You'll need to generate a new world to activate the reactions.

Add-ons:

Other information:
Spoiler: Known, accepted bugs: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:59:34 pm by peasant cretin »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.04] SwrdNBcklr for Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:27:37 pm »

I like idea of improving adventure mode. But cooking recipes made wrong. Where are fort mode dishes? False-plants is bad way, are they edible by carnivores? Idea of scabbards is good, but I will try this mod later and will told my opinion about how it works. Addons are strange: first addon add unusable weapons to civs (due to creature sizes), second addon add creatures from different lore (I dunno who are aasimar, but troll is larger than bear and will not breed with gnome who is smaller than beaver, humans may not breed with elves because immortal creatures not marry with mortal). As I see in notebook, code isn't looks nice formatted.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:15:03 pm »

There are plenty of human-elfs in Tolkien lore. They definitely make sense to include.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:53:06 am »

There are plenty of human-elfs in Tolkien lore. They definitely make sense to include.
Of course DF "lore" (the stories it's trying to create) only includes goblin-elf love (two immortal races), so it's not necessarily meant to be.

Still, the half-elf is pretty much "generic fantasy" lore, so probably will be a thing once that part of the simulation gets looked at.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:37:14 am »

I like idea of improving adventure mode. But cooking recipes made wrong. Where are fort mode dishes? False-plants is bad way, are they edible by carnivores? Idea of scabbards is good, but I will try this mod later and will told my opinion about how it works. Addons are strange: first addon add unusable weapons to civs (due to creature sizes), second addon add creatures from different lore (I dunno who are aasimar, but troll is larger than bear and will not breed with gnome who is smaller than beaver, humans may not breed with elves because immortal creatures not marry with mortal). As I see in notebook, code isn't looks nice formatted.

ITEM_FOOD doesn't work for adventure mode reactions (the game will crash if you use them), so the choice is either false-plants as food, or inorganics. If you make the food inorganic, world gen weirdness may use that when constructing the world. Plants have their own issues which can affect dwarves in fort mode as that plant item may be considered a favorite food which is inaccessible to them.

In keeping the entity fix as vanilla as possible, I neglected to introduce a pike sized for elves or dwarves. Might do that at some point. Reskin the morningstar as awl-pike for elf and dwarf.

I thing I noticed is sometimes text editor stuff done on a Mac (what this mod was written on) doesn't format well when opened on a PC and vice versa. Sadly, a world gen murked my asus laptop a few years ago.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 09:39:24 am »

4/28/2020 - 1.0.1 bugfix for stonecrafting and cooking reactions. Requires no new-world gen.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 10:09:41 am »

If you make the food inorganic, world gen weirdness may use that when constructing the world.

Isn't this mostly prevented by the [SPECIAL] tag? You can also make a template without any of the item or material tags and base the inorganics off that.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:53:14 am »

Isn't this mostly prevented by the [SPECIAL] tag? You can also make a template without any of the item or material tags and base the inorganics off that.

Have no idea. Will look into this as it'd be great to minimize Adv/Fort conflicts re:food.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 04:20:35 pm »

ITEM_FOOD doesn't work for adventure mode reactions (the game will crash if you use them), so the choice is either false-plants as food, or inorganics. If you make the food inorganic, world gen weirdness may use that when constructing the world. Plants have their own issues which can affect dwarves in fort mode as that plant item may be considered a favorite food which is inaccessible to them.

In keeping the entity fix as vanilla as possible, I neglected to introduce a pike sized for elves or dwarves. Might do that at some point. Reskin the morningstar as awl-pike for elf and dwarf.

I thing I noticed is sometimes text editor stuff done on a Mac (what this mod was written on) doesn't format well when opened on a PC and vice versa. Sadly, a world gen murked my asus laptop a few years ago.
Yes, this cause crash, but there are more ways for cooking realization. Whats about make edible item of one ingredient improved by other ingredients?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 02:43:33 pm »

4/29/2020 - 1.0.2 have axe will travel update.

Streamlined bowyer and carpenter reactions. Bowyering just needs an axe. Carpentry's furniture reactions require use of carpenter's workshop. Otherwise they won't appear on the menu. Shield/buckler/backpacks/quivers/trainingweapons are exempt from workshop requirement.

Requires no new-world gen.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 06:55:23 am »

Yes, this cause crash, but there are more ways for cooking realization. Whats about make edible item of one ingredient improved by other ingredients?

Well...the 3 possible solid edible item tokens:  FOOD, MEAT, or PLANT.

As mentioned, FOOD does not work in Adv Mode reactions.

MEAT (which requires INORGANIC) and PLANT cannot have GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT which would allow for a variety of reagent materials to work through a single reaction.

The best you can do to have a "general" reaction is to have a reagent that has a REACTION_CLASS or HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT so it accepts a variety of types, but then the product needs to be non-specific:

If you want specific products that don't have GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT, you will end up--as I have--with menu sprawl.

Hope that makes sense. Someone with a clear understanding of RAW modding would give a precise explanation, instead of my word salad :'(

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:57:54 am by peasant cretin »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 11:29:13 am »

Well...the 3 possible solid edible item tokens:  FOOD, MEAT, or PLANT.

As mentioned, FOOD does not work in Adv Mode reactions.

MEAT (which requires INORGANIC) and PLANT cannot have GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT which would allow for a variety of reagent materials to work through a single reaction.

The best you can do to have a "general" reaction is to have a reagent that has a REACTION_CLASS or HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT so it accepts a variety of types, but then the product needs to be non-specific:

If you want specific products that don't have GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT, you will end up--as I have--with menu sprawl.

Hope that makes sense. Someone with a clear understanding of RAW modding would give a precise explanation, instead of my word salad :'(
GLOB, CHEESE and FISH are also edible. And they can GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 02:34:08 pm »

I experimented with using CHEESE when working on the old Peasant and Forester's Mod, but didn't quite like the result and went with MEAT + INORGANIC.

If I recalled correctly I might have needed to modify material template with GLOB. Don't think I tried using FISH.

Using PLANT thus far has been serviceable for Adventure Mode. Plants as fake food as workaround stop-gap until Toady fixes the FOOD bug isn't too much of a mechanical issue as the IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL token is what governs whether carnivores can consume it.

In the few forts I've run in the interval, I never saw a dwarf with any preference for one of the custom-never-spawn-anywhere plants-fake-food, but lack of evidence, isn't necessarily absence. My concern is that potential conflict.

But we'll see. It's more likely that I move the cooking reactions to being Addons. The base mod itself is mostly for equipment and wearables. There are only 2 cultural impositions SwrdNBcklr makes: battle axes are called axes, and the dagger bow/xbow weapon sets which keeps metal bows from being generated ;) for civ NPCs.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 03:48:26 pm »

I experimented with using CHEESE when working on the old Peasant and Forester's Mod, but didn't quite like the result and went with MEAT + INORGANIC.

If I recalled correctly I might have needed to modify material template with GLOB. Don't think I tried using FISH.

Using PLANT thus far has been serviceable for Adventure Mode. Plants as fake food as workaround stop-gap until Toady fixes the FOOD bug isn't too much of a mechanical issue as the IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL token is what governs whether carnivores can consume it.

In the few forts I've run in the interval, I never saw a dwarf with any preference for one of the custom-never-spawn-anywhere plants-fake-food, but lack of evidence, isn't necessarily absence. My concern is that potential conflict.

But we'll see. It's more likely that I move the cooking reactions to being Addons. The base mod itself is mostly for equipment and wearables. There are only 2 cultural impositions SwrdNBcklr makes: battle axes are called axes, and the dagger bow/xbow weapon sets which keeps metal bows from being generated ;) for civ NPCs.
Why you not add "carpenter axe" that is smaller than battle axe?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 08:18:02 am »

There are only 2 cultural impositions SwrdNBcklr makes: battle axes are called axes...
Why you not add "carpenter axe" that is smaller than battle axe?

For the sake of minimalism, I limited SwrdNBcklr to having two types of axe: axe (the ubiquitous standard/norm, meaning it needs no adjective to define itself) and great axe (which has an adjective to distinguish it from the standard/norm).

From my view, Toady put in the "make stone axe reaction" in DF v42.?? because players needed a way to cut trees down to build campsites, particularly in cases where they made a character who did not generate with any item that was SKILL:AXE and where in-game item stashes may have no axe of any type. It was an accessibility issue.

The heaviest and cheapest (vanilla adj modifier: battle) axe (copper) weighs 6Γ, but if made from stone weighs much less, at < 2Γ(?). And the vanilla DF stone axe tool weighs something similar, which is to say no stone axe of any type impacts encumbrance/movement speed.

This made the stone axe tool unnecessary.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:28:08 am by peasant cretin »
Pages: [1] 2