Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GUIDE: best choice PROFESSIONS voor adventurer by GAME MECHANICS (help needed)  (Read 1622 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all!
When I first started with Adventurer Mode, I decided to be a writer. Not only a boring choice, but also a very unplayable one, as it turned out. There's simply not much to do and writeable resources are scarce.
So, I thought about what kind of jobs, classes, occupations, professions are best playable in Adventurer Mode.
Of course, most combat-based jobs are good picks, there's a lot you can do. Also with the latest update you can play as an detective of sorts. So help me out here a bit.
I'd like to know what kind of jobs you think are very playable, and which one's not. Of course, the latter, must have some sort of obviousness about it. so no astronaut or something like that.
Also, which ones are better playable with mods, and which one do you need.

Here's a list for possible professions, which can be figured out by you!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll start like this

Hunter
The hunter is a outsider, who walks the wilds hunting for large prey. He gets his fun out of killing large, dangerous or rare animals. He eats the meat, and carves the bones in craftswork to sell in towns.
Playability and fun: 4/5
Its cool, lots of stuff you can do, but it has its limits.
Game mechanics applicable:
  • Combat, archery
  • Wandering wild nature
  • Tracking, sneaking
  • Lots of wildlife
  • Builing a hunters cabin
  • Bonecrafting
  • Use Hunting dogs
Game mechanics lacking:
  • No tanning, leatherworking or crafting of other body parts than bones
  • No arrow/bolt making. You have to buy them in towns.
  • Firing without aiming for a specific bodypart (like the heart)
Mods improving the experience:
  • DFHack - ADVFORT
  • Mods adding more wildlife and such
Other considerations:
Bolts are heavy, so bring some pack animal to carry the load.

Writer
The writer is creative person, a romanticus or scientist, who likes to but his thoughs on paper, selling books.
Playability and fun: 1/5
Its just boring.
Game mechanics applicable:
  • Writing various subjects
  • Creativity, Composing
  • Selling books
Game mechanics lacking:
  • Buying quires is hard, creating them not possible
  • You can't really choose what to write or what the subject of your writing is
Mods improving the experience:
  • DFHack - ADVFORT
Other considerations:
A writer should have some effect on the world. Otherwise what is the point of writing it down? But sadly no one really cares if your writing or not.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

Adventurecraft makes almost everything useful craftable, such as arrows and quires, so add that to the "mods improving the experience".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

adventure mode.
atribute cap is 2x starting 1000. max 5000. strength, agility, toughness, endurance?
skill novice: swimmer!, reader!, observer!, wordsmith, poet, flatterer, persuader, judge of intent.
I hope it helps.

Also during setup, you should be access your character attributes screen. Those are 2 screens actually. One for changing attributes and second to see effects of those changes. There you can change your character, so it will be less requiring for needs to be fulfilled. Focus is good to have for skilling. Unfocussed characters will be bothersome in adventure mode, as they are in fortress mode.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

Playing as a bard/entertainer is possible as well, and you should be able to gain reputation in it as well. I wonder how talented you'd have to be, and how much you'd have to tour, for people to start recognizing your name though.