Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Companions from Fortress Mode  (Read 3221 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Companions from Fortress Mode
« on: April 28, 2020, 11:36:37 am »

Suppose that I retire a fortress full of super-soldiers, and then start an adventure game in the same world. Will I be able to meet those super-soldiers and hire them as companions?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Companions from Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:18:06 pm »

A few versions ago, I tried this. I just got "Sorry, my duty is here." and I think "It is I who should lead you.". I think you may be able to recruit them with dancing but not directly, but I don't know about the latest version.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:01:57 pm »

People that have a military or other position cannot be recruited.
Disband the squads before retire.

It might be hard to impress a hardened guard. Fortress soldiers are on average much better trained as adventurers. It is often easier to get them to join as entertainer. In an entertainer role companions seem to be slightly less eager to jump into the fray.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 11:52:29 pm »

Well since you retired a bunch of adventurers you could just put them in the adventurer group when you make your next adventurer in the character creation, which bypass the need to get them to join as a companion.
since you can with 47. xx  and onward unretire adventurers into a group.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 10:44:10 am »

I retired an adventurer with 3 companions.
Started again with the companions as party members.

I wanted one more party member so I asked a legendary +5 fortress mode speardwarf to join on adventure."With a group that large, what would be my share in the glory": the typical answer.

Then I tried for the first time poetry (I forgot I started the character as a musician). I choose on purpose very very bad poetry. "Lets entertain the world together!" after my *cough* demonstration of skill.

Any way: with a combination of poetry, retiring and starting again you even can have fortress members in your party. So the answer is yes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 10:56:21 am »

What's the mechanic for hiring people nowadays? Even with hero level reputation I seem to get "With a band so large..." with more than two people.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:00:50 am »

Social or leadership skills seem to matter more for convincing others to join as an adventurer as combat skills or reputation.
As I didn't find what skill exactly I resort to poetry.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 05:58:18 pm »

I retired an adventurer with 3 companions.
Started again with the companions as party members.

I wanted one more party member so I asked a legendary +5 fortress mode speardwarf to join on adventure."With a group that large, what would be my share in the glory": the typical answer.

Then I tried for the first time poetry (I forgot I started the character as a musician). I choose on purpose very very bad poetry. "Lets entertain the world together!" after my *cough* demonstration of skill.

Any way: with a combination of poetry, retiring and starting again you even can have fortress members in your party. So the answer is yes.
you can also just move one adventurer into the fort and put them into military commander status and just ask the companions if they want to enlist in the military, usually if you give them good named item you crafted they will agree to join.

or attach a bunch of Fort noble positions to the adventurer and just get them to give up the title to the companions which automatically makes them part of the fort though the military set up lets you when in fort mode send them out on a mission to get them access to fort mode jobs. you don't need to go through the Musical performer route to get companions into fort mode.

and if I remember the giving up the noble title stuff does clear a few hostilities checks on hostile npcs ... on reload of the map and get you access to certain special characters you normally don't get in Fort mode.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 06:46:24 pm »

So if you are wasting your time,
Talking mercs into aiding your crime,
Forget skills for the fight,
And proving your might,
Instead you should try out your rhyme?

8)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 02:40:06 am »

So if you are wasting your time,
Talking mercs into aiding your crime,
Forget skills for the fight,
And proving your might,
Instead you should try out your rhyme?

8)
High expectations
These are what mercs have for you.
Why not dance instead?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 11:15:43 pm »

you can also just move one adventurer into the fort and put them into military commander status and just ask the companions if they want to enlist in the military, usually if you give them good named item you crafted they will agree to join.

or attach a bunch of Fort noble positions to the adventurer and just get them to give up the title to the companions which automatically makes them part of the fort though the military set up lets you when in fort mode send them out on a mission to get them access to fort mode jobs. you don't need to go through the Musical performer route to get companions into fort mode.

and if I remember the giving up the noble title stuff does clear a few hostilities checks on hostile npcs ... on reload of the map and get you access to certain special characters you normally don't get in Fort mode.
I just retired my adventurer into a fort, and then unretired the fort. The general plan is to train up the adventurer and lots of dwarves in fortress mode, then switch to adventurer with a group of well-trained, well-equipped companions. Then world conquest.

So when I re-retire the fort to switch to adventure mode:
1) What offices, if any, do I want the adventurer to hold?
2) Should my well-trained dwarves be in squads or not?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 06:44:16 am »

I just retired my adventurer into a fort, and then unretired the fort. The general plan is to train up the adventurer and lots of dwarves in fortress mode, then switch to adventurer with a group of well-trained, well-equipped companions. Then world conquest.

So when I re-retire the fort to switch to adventure mode:
1) What offices, if any, do I want the adventurer to hold?
2) Should my well-trained dwarves be in squads or not?

for the first one I guess you mean noble positions which the answer to that is military commander and expedition leader/mayor(if you hit mayor status you might be too close to barony territory which if accepted will kick your adventurer out of the site to hang out in some capital.)
for the second one you probably should not as they might become duty bound and not join you on adventurers as a companion,

also wonder how would you do world conquest with a bunch of trained dwarves in adventure mode? I guess going on personal strikes on site leaders to then return to the fort to send a raiding squad proper to mop up the site.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 08:46:37 pm »

also wonder how would you do world conquest with a bunch of trained dwarves in adventure mode? I guess going on personal strikes on site leaders to then return to the fort to send a raiding squad proper to mop up the site.
I haven't even thought that far ahead. I tried world conquest with missions in a 44.04 world. It worked fine with villages and I wiped out a few civs, but I didn't see a way to tackle something big. With the missions, there's no way to fight a few rounds and then withdraw.

In my 47.04 world, there's a Dark Fortress with 2500 each of beak dogs, trolls, and ogres. I could steal the beak dogs with missions, but I see no way to handle the rest from fortress mode. So my best plan is to establish a small dwarf fortress next to the big Dark Fortress, and build some walls and bridges. Then I switch to adventure mode to kite groups of enemies from their fortress into my fortress, where I can make sure that I won't get overwhelmed.

I don't have much experience with adventure, so there are many ways this could go wrong. What do you think? Is this a hopeless plan? Will the game crash as soon as I approach the Dark Fortress? Will the beak dogs, trolls and ogres regenerate faster than I can kill them? Do non-HF kills count against a site's population?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 02:48:08 am »

I haven't even thought that far ahead. I tried world conquest with missions in a 44.04 world. It worked fine with villages and I wiped out a few civs, but I didn't see a way to tackle something big. With the missions, there's no way to fight a few rounds and then withdraw.

In my 47.04 world, there's a Dark Fortress with 2500 each of beak dogs, trolls, and ogres. I could steal the beak dogs with missions, but I see no way to handle the rest from fortress mode. So my best plan is to establish a small dwarf fortress next to the big Dark Fortress, and build some walls and bridges. Then I switch to adventure mode to kite groups of enemies from their fortress into my fortress, where I can make sure that I won't get overwhelmed.

I don't have much experience with adventure, so there are many ways this could go wrong. What do you think? Is this a hopeless plan? Will the game crash as soon as I approach the Dark Fortress? Will the beak dogs, trolls and ogres regenerate faster than I can kill them? Do non-HF kills count against a site's population?
personally wise a good way to defeat a dark fortress is build a large enough force that would cause them to surrender, and I discovered if you just get a bunch of large creatures to join your civ then send them after them they will buckle under and surrender.

also I think the Non-historical figure units could be convinced to join your civ or join you for companionship if you make a fake ID that matches up with the civ. I haven't tested what happens if you enlist a whole bunch of locals in a dark fortress into a squad then attack the Dark fortress with the same squad, they could act as sleeper agents and strike the site all at once or not assist in the conflict or mass return home.
also another thing to note due to sending an army at a civ counts as an event you could get the adventurer to learn of this event and use that to 'rescue' the entire dark fortress population or the high key officials of the site.

basically it's possible to do some Liberal crime squad shenanigans with sites now with the mix of adv mode and fort mode.
"body swapping and YOU!"