Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Predator: Hunting Grounds  (Read 1141 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Predator: Hunting Grounds
« on: April 28, 2020, 07:51:25 pm »

Hey, all. Not a lot of chatter about this one on the boards so far, and I have it. It's a ton of fun so far, even though the game does not feel fully fleshed out (there are only three maps.) If you want to check out what it looks like, see how it plays, and overall just watch me and my friends suck at shooting things, head over to my friend's twitch stream where we've been playing for a few days.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:11:36 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Predator: Hunting Grounds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:29:50 pm »

This was brought to my attention by a friend.

It looks pretty sick. It's the kind of power fantasy on both sides that I'm in to (In Friday the 13th, made by the same guys, the dynamic of running scared from the baddy and picking up different objective objects doesn't really do it for me.)

But after hearing about it and being like "Oh cool, you can shoot back at the Predator and actually fight him", I checked out a piece of Youtube-ry with a somewhat provocative title.

He doesn't hate it, but thinks there are a lot of missed opportunities and some kinda shit balance.

One can always chalk some of this up to "well no duh the Predator gets smoked when all 4 people are there but ruins a single opponent because he has 14 quadrillion HP." But there's other things. Reading that all the enemy team has to do is use silencers and cover up in mud to make the Predator's job 60% harder doesn't sound terribly fun, sounds one note and kinda frustrating for the Predator. Watching the actual movement mechanics of the Predator leaves something to be desired as well. It's like "TREES" or GTFO, his on foot mobility is shit but he makes these anime-style mega jumps into the trees. The AI opponents look like cardboard, meant to be shot so the game has that action movie vibe while not really being a threat or requiring much from the player. That should be like, the biggest advantage for the Predator, is all the AI around to pressure players. But they basically react one guy a a time for the most part and go down with a couple bullets while not really doing much damage to the player.

I think his point that there's not a lot of ways psychologically to mess with players is a valid point too. The game's rando-action sound pretty bad, and when I saw you could spot and mark the Predator I kinda went......eh. It's a bog standard thing for this kind of game but it doesn't sit well with me, since confusion and a lack of communication between players should be another one of the Predator's big advantages. But it's the difference between people who know how to hit a button at the right time, or not. I see can see myself playing the Predator, getting seen by one person and getting lit the fuck up from all angles and it just doesn't sound all that great.

Matchmaking also sounds pretty bad atm. It takes a long time to be able to play as the Predator, no shocker there.

I dunno, I'm intrigued but it sounds pretty shallow at the moment. If it didn't have a grindy unlocky "shoot an AK47 1000 times to unlock a red dot sight for just the AK47" system in place, it'd probably be called barebones. I've got my eye on it but for the things I've seen that actively dissuade me from getting it, I think I'd like to see it cook quite a bit longer.

Also, full disclosure, online PvP hasn't really been a strong draw for me years.

Just my 2 cents having looked it over. I've always loved Predator games and this one definitely is trying to do a lot of the things I've always wanted that the other AvP games were always too broad to address.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:26:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 10:11:04 pm »

Yeah, I saw a bit about it and it didn't seem that compelling.  Asymmetric killer multiplayer has almost never been good.  Evolve was okay, the only one I've played that really felt balanced was Friday the 13th, which as far as I know is dead now.  And even that one had some cheese, but I remember playing a round where we gooned Jason and hullied him the whole game and he didn't get a single kill, then the next round I was Jason against the same group and killed all of them.

I also saw a lot of really bad reviews for it on release, it seems almost universally hated.  Has it been patched?
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 09:39:12 am »

Yeah, currently running 1.05. Matchmaking hasn't been terrible since I turned off cross-play. I'm on ps4, and getting into matches takes a couple minutes as Predator, and about 25-50 seconds as Fireteam.

Preddy definitely doesn't get smoked every time a 4 on 1 pops up. It's been about 70/30 in favor of Pred so far. The thing about spotting the Pred as Fireteam is that it only lasts a couple seconds.

The biggest complaint that I have with the game is that there are only 3 maps. That said, the maps are pretty big, and each map has several missions that can be run on it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 10:30:25 am »

Looks cool, if only because there aren't enough games like this.

However, the Pred's invisibility appears to suck ass.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 10:44:06 am »

The best predator game was Hidden Source, because you could crouch and scoot along the ground with the leap mechanic, chasing people and killing them while they shot over your head
Shoes...