Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Future of the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive  (Read 14456 times)

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: Future of the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 10:38:02 am »

Thanks Markavian for working so hard on the back end of things for this project.

Here's an update for what I'm currently working on with the viewer and what the future might hold.

In Progress
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ToDo

Potential Added Features

Other Side Projects

Let me know if you have any suggestions for features/projects that might help grow the DFMA.
Imagine it, a tombstone that has a scrolling LCD marquee of your best fortresses.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 10:02:57 pm »

https://github.com/BenLubar/cmvjs is a pure-JS CMV renderer (if nothing else, the tile-rendering logic might be useful). I believe BenLubar was using it for some df-ai streams at some point.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 06:27:09 am »

https://github.com/BenLubar/cmvjs is a pure-JS CMV renderer (if nothing else, the tile-rendering logic might be useful). I believe BenLubar was using it for some df-ai streams at some point.

Can definitely make us of this; I'll see if I can get in touch with Ben before integrating it with DFMA - but the MIT license checks out - so should be able to do that so long as I link to the repo/license from the website.

Thanks @Blomquistador for sharing the update. I'm back to linting PHP this morning after a busy week at work; and waiting on that zoomTo feature for the map viewer MVP :D

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 09:41:12 am »

UPDATE

I won't be able to spend as much time as I have been on this. My brother has had a near-fatal accident and is in intensive care. Family comes first, you know how it is.

I've been currently just working on this in my free time at work. Once I go back to work I'll be able to work on the viewer a bit more.
Right now there is a "Zoom To" function but it is currently not functional.

Thanks everyone!
Imagine it, a tombstone that has a scrolling LCD marquee of your best fortresses.

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 01:20:38 pm »

UPDATE 2

Looks like my brother will make a full recovery. All is well that ends well, as they say.

Anyway, I've updated the viewer and there is now keyboard-only input.
Use the 8.6.4.2 keys on the numpad to move one tile at a time. The 'z' key is a modifier which will cause it to move 10 at a time.
(I couldn't use shift due to the way HTML5 Canvas works with the DOM).

I've also added a "ZoomTo" function in preparation to implementing the POI system.

See it live at https://blomquist.xyz/dfma

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 08:33:59 am »

Looks like my brother will make a full recovery. All is well that ends well, as they say.

Thanks for the update Jacob; I wish your brother the best for his recovery.

I've managed to finish linting the DFMA code base; 106 files, 16,692 lines (up from 14,074 lines)... and am now in a position to put some basic tests around page generation. I've also found and fixed a few SQL bugs that I found while reading through everything line by line.

I think I'm now in a place to start surfacing the data and writing an integration with Jacob's viewer.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 03:26:06 am »

Update after a slow week(s)

Managed to get functional tests in place, supported by github actions... so the website now has some basic test coverage for surface level user journeys. It was very painful setting up mysql to run on a docker image using github actions; but I figured it out... so now I can spin up a version of the website and run tests against it as part of a continuous integration pipeline.

Meanwhile, a bit quiet from Jacob - I'm going to fork the viewer and rewrite the interface to make it easier to integrate with DFMA;
- Need a way to specify the map file (url) before load (customise the preload function)
- Need a way to navigate to a specific point on the map (using the zoomTo function)
- Need a way to customise key config to support a wider combination of keys (wasd, up,down,left,right, etc.)

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 04:41:19 am »

Drag and drop: Nice ease-of-use feature; I imagine that's going to be useful with mass-selecting and dropping a gallery.

Also found a "bug": xy remains constant: cue confusion with dropping 1x1 fort that was entirely out of viewrange.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2020, 05:47:35 pm »

posting to watch this noble endeavour

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »

Done since last update:
- Fixed the NaN bug when loading starting PoI - turned out to be the canvas width that hadn't loaded yet; switched to fix value
- Created an architecture diagram for the viewer - outlines plans for different components within codebase

In progress:
- Restructure file structure to match architecture diagram - made some good progress here, got separate 'Drag & Drop' and 'User Input', giving the 'Renderer' a clearly defined viewState... simpler code split across different files - missing some basic tests around new files

Do next:
- Support rendering front and side views

Code base is in a really healthy place; finding it easy to sit down and chip away and issues on the board now. Getting the infrastructure setup after 10 years of "its all in my head" helps a lot.

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 10:43:27 am »

I'm Back.
I've created a new branch and PR on the repo to start work on front and side view as well as UI improvements.

Here's how it will work:

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 04:02:32 pm »

Right... I'm back too.

Long story; short version - successfully completed on a house purchase, moved in, got my new office set up.
Once house move settles down I'l be back into code - my focus is still fixing up the DFMA - so back to the project page to figure out what's next:

• Implement Side and Front views in viewer - need to catch up with Jacob
  • Deploy bundled map viewer to an agreed location that can be used by the DFMA PHP Website
  • Use bundled map viewer with the DFMA Map Viewer behind a hidden feature toggle

Got this diagram to explain the new architecture before I moved house:

So in a good place; but had to take a break to move house <3 🏡

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 04:25:31 pm »

Encouraging to see activity!

PS: Control layer or somewhere might want to include "Make POIs" & other such <add new map functionality>.
Pages: 1 [2] 3