Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Future of the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive  (Read 14460 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2020, 03:26:46 pm »

Congrats on the new house!

I know we discussed this before, but are you planning to extend tileset support when the new graphical interface comes out? Also, have any of the newest devlogs shown features that might conflict with this current development?

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2020, 03:04:37 am »

Hey all,

Project update:

- No progress, got in touch with Jacob via email

Up next:
- Deploy bundled map viewer to an agreed location that can be used by the DFMA PHP Website
- Use bundled map viewer with the DFMA Map Viewer behind a hidden feature toggle
- Support rendering front and side views

Personal update:

- Moving house has been a big distraction - finally got my room sorted out / setup / tidied - in a place where I think I can code again

RE: Comments

PS: Control layer or somewhere might want to include "Make POIs" & other such <add new map functionality>.

Perhaps - the intent of the control layer is storing the state of the map and moving things around - there is a separate data/domain layer that will be created to authenticate/authorise users to submit data to the DFMA database, which will be controlled by the API. So it might be that functions like "make POI" or "upload map" are handled by a separate system e.g. right now there's an entry point called "addmap.php" in a separate private DFMA PHP project that uses "addmap.form.inc.php" to handle that behaviour.

Congrats on the new house!

Thanks, its amazing~ worth working/saving up for :)

I know we discussed this before, but are you planning to extend tileset support when the new graphical interface comes out? Also, have any of the newest devlogs shown features that might conflict with this current development?

I would hope that extended tilesets are supported by default. The way the map encoder and decoder works is independent of Dwarf Fortress functionality. At present the main input is stacked bitmaps organised in tiles. The compression works best where there is heavy tile reuse. The more unique the maps are (the less tile reuse there is), the bigger the map file will end up. But because the map compressor uses the output pixels, it should support any tileset that Dwarf Fortress supports - if that makes sense?

If we allow people to upload different data sets, we'll need to store and render that data ... differently.

have any of the newest devlogs shown features that might conflict with this current development?

I am not sure; I need to read up on the devlogs, but what I've seen so far makes me think we'll be ok. Also, my current focus is on the historical map data - making that accessible for posterity - once that's fixed we can turn back in the direction of the future of the DF community and the archive.

MiguelT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 09:36:12 pm »

Sorry for necroing.

Is this project still alive?

I've been using the DFMapCompressor but I miss the DF Map Archive.

I'm asking just to know if I can have some hope, rs.

If it is the case, well, it was great back in the days, thanks.

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2022, 07:19:47 pm »

Is this project still alive?
Yes! Progress has been slow but we are continuing to develop this.
As we speak I am working on UI buttons for the map viewer.
After that, I will dive into front/side views and optimization potentially.

I apologize for being absent for the past while. Life has a way of getting away from you.
Looking forward to continued progress.

Time to ☼STRIKE THE EARTH!☼
Imagine it, a tombstone that has a scrolling LCD marquee of your best fortresses.

maximaximal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2022, 05:17:19 am »

So, after some small commits to the new JS-based web viewer, I present a larger contribution, which hopefully makes using the map compressor more accessible to a broader audience.

There now is DFMapCompressorPP. This is a new implementation of the good old C#-based map compressor. The benefits of the new version are:
  • no dependencies (meaning you can just use a single .exe without installing .NET)
  • faster usage speed (no more UI clicking, you can just drag your .bmp files on the binary and it compresses the files
  • faster compression speed (better hashing algorithm and more optimizations)
  • web-based compression support, running purely in your browser (using Emscripten)
I created this new tool to give some more love to the very nice .fdf-map format. With this, there are less barriers to entry to compress map images, also for Mac and Linux users. Just in time for the steam version releasing soon :D
In the future, I'd also invest into a native map viewer based on SDL2, which runs locally also without a browser, to fully replicate the original map compressor's features. This should then also easily enable different viewing modes of maps.

Additionally to the native compressor, I also created a PHP-based renderer for .fdf-map files. This could in the future be used to enable social-graph-based previews for the DFMA. If anybody wants to try stuff out with this PHP implementation, I would of course be happy about it! The PHP file also supports downloading maps from external sources, so when giving it the correct URLs, it directly renders files from the official DFMA page.

I would be happy for inputs and your experiences with these new tools! The web-based compressor is a product of the last few days, if it works well for you shoot me a message or post a reply! :)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2022, 04:32:24 am »

[I accidentally posted in the wrong thread, sorry!]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 04:34:14 am by clinodev »
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 2 [3]