Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Risky Ventures! - Year 2 Autumnwake - I need to sink more boats  (Read 28773 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Risky Ventures

As we all know, the Motherlands is the greatest nation in the world. However, the world chose to stymie our awesomeness by giving all the natural resources - sugar, spice, precious metal, etc - to all those primitive savages that live literally everywhere else.

We're not in a position to take these things by force, as the crown is in some difficult financial straits right now, but we have a plan. Trade some worthless baubles for the good stuff, then re-sell it in the Motherlands for vast profits.

However, we have a problem. The primitive savages live far away. Across the seas. Across oceans! It's a dangerous voyage to these faraway lands, and mere barges and cogs will not make the journey intact. We'll need fancy new ships to voyage to these distant places. Expensive ships. Ships  which even the richest of cannot afford alone. At least to begin, we will need to pool our resources to afford them.

Once you have a ship, you can send it on a journey. Chart a course for somewhere we know about to get new resources, or send it in some other direction to explore for new lands, as rumours say there are quite a lot.

For now, our cartographers are a little sketchy on the location of anywhere other than the Nearsouthlands. That'll do for the moment though, as they apparently have vast quantities of the finest Sand, and it's only a two month round trip! Other lands will no doubt have access to other resources, although the trip will no doubt be long and frought with danger.

There are always more brave explorers willing to risk everything to find these lands though, although they will sometimes ask for wealthy patrols to fund their expeditions.

Once a ship has a destination, the voyage can begin. It will set off across the dangerous high seas and hopefully in a few month's time it will return with a hold full of valuables and a crew full of exotic and unlikely stories. We'll then sell the cargo for sweet profits and fund more voyages.

And then we'll make like Scrooge McDuck and swim in a pool of coins. Or something like that anyway.

Preamble over. The game is as follows:
Anyone can join. You will posses three guineas and nothing else.
You can buy ships for ten guineas.
Ships can be sent on journeys to a location of choice. A successful journey will yield ten units of that location's resource.
Ships may sink during a voyage.
Resources can be sold at the market. Prices fluctuate.
New locations and other actions will be unlocked as the game progresses. Funding voyages of exploration, and performing services for the Motherlands may hasten this.

I will (try to) update the thread regularly with news of returning ships, changing market prices, and other events. Each update corresponds to a month of in-game time.

Anyone may join at any time. Players are expected to keep track of their own resources, as follows:

Quote from: Example
NUKLEAR SHIPPING AND SONS INC(TM)
Assets:
3 Guineas
Other:
-

I would like to fund a voyage to the southern hills, where limitless quantities of sand may be purchased, to be resold in the motherland for vast profits. A new ship will be purchased, at the cost of 10 guineas. Income from the sale of the sand will be split based on initial investment.

Quote from: EXAMPLE2
NUKLEAR SHIPPING AND SONS INC(TM)
Assets:
-1 Guineas (on loan from Motherlands)
Ship on journey to Nearsouthlands. Expected return date: 2 months. Expected income: 5 guineas.
Other:
-

Thanks to the generous investments by PLAYER2 and PLAYER3, and a loan from the Motherlands, a ship was purchased and sent to the Nearsouthlands. It is expected to return in two months with ten units of sand. At the current market price of sand- 0.5 guineas- it should make 5 guineas when it returns. It will then be sent back and forth until it sinks.

If this sounds interesting, please indicate. Comments, suggestions, and questions are also welcome. If sufficient interest is gained, the game will begin.

Glossary
TURNTURNTURN
Hello! This is Kashyyk from the future (of this post. The past from your point of view, unless something freaky has happened). I'll be irregularly updating this Glossary with information pertaining to the game. Last updated in Year 2 Summerrise.

Joining the Game
We are still open to new sign ups. When you join, you will start with three Guineas, a burning desire for high seas trade and nothing else. You can use the following format for your company details. You will be responsible for including the latest version of your company details each time you do something. (Such as buying and selling stuff, not necessarily when you're merely negotiating with other players).

Code: (Company Details) [Select]
[spoiler=<Company Name>]
Funds: 3 Guineas
[/spoiler]

Making Money
To start your journey towards owning a solid gold mansion, you need to find a revenue stream. The most traditional is to own one or more shares in a ship, which sails off somewhere for a few months, before hopefully coming back with a load of trade goods you can sell to the Motherland for a tidy profit. You can also offer financial services, such as loans and insurance.

Buying a Ship
Normally, ships cost 10 Guineas.  (Actually, they cost 5 Guineas and 10 Lumber, although as Lumber typically sits at 0.5 Guineas a unit, it's easy to simplify). That is quite a bit more than what you start with, so you will need to find a few other people who are willing to pool their resources together to buy a ship. Someone will draw up a contract (useful so you know when people have officially agreed, and it gives me a bat signal I can quickly scan the thread for), which will be used to determine how many shares each person gets, the name of the ship, etc. Unless specified otherwise, it takes a unanimous vote to change a contract after it has been formed.

Destinations
The world is very fragmented, with lots of island nations, making it ripe for an enterprising trade ship to make money. Most locations have only one trade good available, which the locals are happy to give you in exchange for a bunch of worthless trinkets, which thankfully means it doesn't cost you anything (beyond the cost of the ship) to start raking it in. Also worth mentioning is that each destination takes a different while if time to get to, across varyingly dangerous waters.

If the current destinations are not interesting for you, then you can fund an exploration mission. There's typically an independent explorer pan handling for donations, although you can also send a ship you own out to explore as well. These will hopefully reveal a new location with untapped riches for you to exploit.

Favours
The Motherland, and more specifically the Crown, are in a bit of financial difficulty, hence why you are being mostly left to your own devices. However, every time you do something for the benefit of the nation rather than yourself (such as sponsoring exploration, donating to the crown and populace, etc) you will gain Favour. This is a very free form currency, that you can use to get the Crown to do stuff for you. If you've got an idea for it, make the suggestion and see what the Crown says.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:00:09 pm by Kashyyk »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 03:10:27 am »

I am compelled to indicate my interest, given that I (apparently) came up with the concept. I had totally forgotten about doing so, so I was a bit baffled when Kashyyk asked for permission to use it. But it is an interesting idea, I think, and worth trying again.
Long Live United Forenia!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:14:02 am »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:47:34 am »

I also PTW.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:40:11 am »

I am interested in this.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:55:18 am »

PTW
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 02:08:55 pm »

Sounds interesting.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:52:24 pm »

PTW
it's over

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 04:31:50 pm »

Interest indicated

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:45 am »

Interesting. I'm disappointed that Guineas is an actual currency but, not literal Guineas pigs.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 03:51:04 am »

Interesting. I'm disappointed that Guineas is an actual currency but, not literal Guineas pigs.
The El Dorado of this game is the country that produces Guinea Pigs. It stands to reason that one Guinea Pig is worth 1 Guinea; a ship full of them would be enough to prop up the economy of the Motherland for decades to come. And/or cause hyperinflation and crash the economy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures! - Awaiting new Trade Companies
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 06:10:14 am »

writes down ideas...

Game Start

Talk is cheap, and by definition, money is not.

To make an agreement worth more then the paper it is written on (such as the joint purchase of a ship), a contract must be made and signed by all parties, addressed to Queen Phillipa the Fourth. A bureaucrat will then notarize in her name, sealing the deal. The contents will then be executed by all relevant parties. See below for an example:

Quote from: Equal Share Expedition to the Nearsouthlands
To Queen Phillipa the Fourth,

We, the undersigned, hereby agree to buy a ship, the 'Quirky Cuttlefish', to sail the trade route between the Motherland and the Nearsouthlands. Investments will be as follows:

- 5 Guineas from Bismark and Smirch Ltd
- 2 Guineas from South Sea Solutions
- 2 Guineas from Motherland Mariners
- 1 Guinea from ELC Traders

The profits will be split proportionally by Investment between the signatories.

Signed:

To be considered valid, the Crown must receive an identical letter from each signatory.

((OOC: this is to make it easy for me to search a page for any agreements, without having to sift through the surrounding negotiation))

---

The Queen awaits news of new Ventures with great excitement.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures! - Awaiting New Trade Companies
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 06:42:43 am »

Alright. Well then.

Yearvent Shipping proposes a simple five-way investment into a ship; 2 Guineas each, with profits split equally. No bells and/or whistles. If four others are willing to join me on this venture, we can start to rake in the precious, precious sand.

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 06:53:05 am »

Ashford Core is willing to join in this investment proposed by Yearvent Shipping and will pay buy in of 2 Guineas.

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:20:36 am by flazeo25 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 07:19:38 am »

Ah, we all start with 3 Guineas. I didn't deduct my investment from my funds yet, I was waiting for people to agree to the deal.
Also, we don't know where Tea can be found yet. Currently the choices are Sand, Sand, or Sand.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34