Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: [IC] TTG2: Public Void - Chapter 1: Hope  (Read 10431 times)

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] TTG2: Public Void - Chapter 1: Hope
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2020, 12:49:07 am »

Caridin (Bringing himself back to life with the help of a quirky girl.)

Caridin was.... speechless. Mostly because the more he thought about what Loki just relayed, the more he realized it was true. He'd been focused so much on actually stopping and thinking through his actions in battle that he never stopped to realize that almost all the actions he ended up making depended on the whims of his opponent. Hell, even his battle with No Equal, as much progress as he might have made in it, was a perfect example. Nearly every action was not an action, but a reaction. Hell, had No Equal wished it, he could've easily kited him the dark, slowly killing him via a thousand cuts from afar. The only reason Caridin had come even close to winning was because the old man had chosen to charge in instead. It was because No Equal had through his own actions given Caridin an opportunity to react in a way that nearly got the better of him.

Nearly.

Not a fecking thing he had done in that battle beyond his initial spotlight tricks had been something born from his own initiative. It was true. It had been true for all his fights. It had been true since he started this mess to begin with. And he knew it. Every stroke of the sword, every strike of his fist, every dodge, every beam of light, they had all been the byproduct of him letting himself be played the fool. 

A fool...

Yes, he already knew he was one. A fool playing the hand fate dealt him. A fool who never bothered to realize that he could simply discard the cards. Or cheat to even the odds. Or punch out the fecking dealer. Or just get up from the damn table and walk away. And yet, even though his nature was that of a fool, he still deluded himself into seeking to become the Emperor.

"Hmph... a fool... becomin' emperor?" He whispered to himself, turning away from Loki as his eyes burned ever brighter with their golden hue. So bright that even in this lighting, the glow was noticeable. A mirthless smile etched itself upon his face as he shook his head "what a grand and intoxicatin' innocence."
     Hollow. There was no pain now. No heartache. He just felt empty. No rage and no sorrow. Maybe the illusion of having some semblance of control up till now had been the only thing sustaining him. He didn't know. All he knew, was that it was shattered now. And now that it was gone and the truth revealed, the light within him had stilled for the first time since it's birth. His spirit as lost as his body.  Yet somehow he found the will to speak again, as some part of him he didn't even realize was there until now emerging from the shadows created by the dying of his light. But the words it spoke felt so... foreign coming from his mouth.

"Yer right, Loki." It said, looking down at hands that were scarred beyond recognition from the ones he'd once owned. Hands that could barely feel, hands that were now only good for holding a sword. Hands that now knew destruction and no other skill besides it. Hands that had been twisted and corrupted, first by the man who'd scorched them, then by the savage beast that his soul had devolved into so it could kill that man. "I've been lettin' meself be someone else's puppet for too long now. And it ain't just in the arena. I'm tired of being a damn pawn, always stuck reacting, picking up the pieces of me life, dancing to the jig of a fecking madman. Deluding meself that in me rage, I have some semblance of control over me fate, when all it ever fecking does is dig me deeper into the hole."
    He could feel sensation returning to him. Things beyond the usual, wistful thinking and all consuming wrath. Things he'd not felt for years upon years. All the while, something within him retreated with its tail between it's legs as it shrunk, growing more pitiful by the second as a presence besides its own finally filled the void it'd squatted in all this time, and asserted the righteous authority over it only possible from someone whose domain it had rightfully been from the beginning. Yet that presence called out to the beast all the same. Willed it to halt in it's retreat and come to his side. An irresistible command to hear his will and obey, and perhaps earn its place in the order he would bring back. For even a rabid dog could have it's uses, few as they might be. Besides, at this point he could not discard the beast without discarding part of his very being along with it.
    He took a deep breath to steady himself, closed his eyes, and turned to face Loki once more. When he opened them again, they were so vibrantly green that now matter how much gold may have surged through them before, it could've never rivaled them. The smile he wore was no longer mirthless.

"But enough 'bout that. I s'pose I owe ye one for uh... givin' me some clarity here. I hear the Cafeteria finally got that fancy chef from Greed. How's 'bout I treat ye ta something?"

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:29:03 pm by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2020, 05:59:05 am »

Hellfire Knight's gaze flicked upward at Maddie for a moment, then awkwardly to the side as she shuffled in her seat. It'd been an entire decade, and she still wasn't used to being famous. "Um. . ." How was she supposed to respond to that? She could barely admit to herself that she was any good, it wasn't very easy to respond to someone else saying she was a role model. "No problem. I'm, um, just glad I can help."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2020, 04:21:37 pm »

Tarmo

"Being a challenger in the Trial already qualifies you to meet all the secret organizations running around." Astra said with a chuckle, "At least if the last time is anything to go by." He stood, clearly intent to leave, "And even if you weren't a challenger, I'm sure they'd want to meet you. They tend to think of people like us as family." He waited a moment to ensure Tarmo didn't have anything urgent to discuss and then took his leave. Though it hadn't been perfect, Astra found himself warmed by the conversation. He wasn't like the Round, he couldn't see just anyone as family. But talking to Tarmo he couldn't help but feel like he'd met a long-lost brother.

Caridin

A flash of shock touch Loki's face for a brief moment, and suddenly a second one of her popped up. "That would be amazing!" said one of her ecstatically, while the other nervously replied, "I can't, I have to go do... a thing."

Both of her blushed, this time making no attempt to hide it. The extra vanished, and Loki more calmly answered, "I would really like that."

She smiled softly. She'd been hoping her advice might have this side-effect, but it had just been a small hope. While this might have just been a thank you, she was more than okay with that. In fact, if Caridin had been more forward, she probably would have let her more timid self come out on top and declined.

Elspeth

"Well, technicality or not, you managed to pull off a real upset." Marita shifted slightly in her seat, leaning forward a bit as if to seem more interested in Elspeth's opinion, "Going into the second round, do you think people will take you more seriously?"
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2020, 07:07:34 pm »

"I sure hope so," Elspeth pouts, "I know my record isn't as impressive as most of the people here, but I have been in tournaments before.  I'm not that bad.  Or I'd like to think I'm not, anyway..."
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Raindrop Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
  • The Heroine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2020, 01:09:24 pm »

Ookami

The old man followed a tad gingerly, perhaps trying to not nearly cause any further damage to the property of the new space he had entered. In reality it was partly that but there was more. It felt the coldest he had even been next to her. That frigid winter wind seemed to hang about her person, frost that clung to the last flower to stubborn to fall to winter's iced talons. It was this close so how more intimidating than that of the sun to him. He understood what made that man, the weight that pressed down upon the world around him. A hidden strength, that was something Ookami could easily handle. He willing through himself at those people, always sure he could learn something from them.

But, here, he doubted himself for the first time in perhaps... forty years. He didn't know how to deal with such a profound loneliness, how to approach a topic like this with one he barely knew. More accurately, a person who barely knew him. He had seen so much already, he could see things that were hidden to all others about her and though he could not turn off his spark, he couldn't help but feel guilty. Speaking with his blade was much easier than this... battle understood the power to see the soul of another. But this wasn't a battle as much as he hoped it could be. In conversation it was always dangerous to know that which you should not know. People disliked prying eyes, even if you literally were forced to see those secrets, they could often couldn't care less. All of this cycled through his head as Winter led him to the bedside, when he saw her stop he had assumed they arrived, so he reached outward into the darkness. He felt the soft embrace of fabrics underneath his fingertips, knowing this was where she had intended to lead him. The space was becoming more familiar, more comfortable as he begin to understand his place within it, with each step he knew more about the small and seemingly modest room the two of them were currently within. He indicated to her with a nod and warm smile that he could take it from here as he lowered himself to sit. He placed the basket next to him, deeming it worthy of a seat of it's own.

"Thank you Miss. " Ookami waiting for her to seat herself before he continued, if solely to have a few more seconds he didn't have to speak. He was worried how this would all go, even if he managed not show it.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2020, 09:13:53 pm »

Ookami

Winter hesitated to join Unequivocal Soul in sitting on the bed. She wasn't sure she actually wanted to talk to him, she could only imagine that whatever he wanted to talk about was bad. A thousand possibilities rushed through her mind, each filling her with an increasing amount of dread. Every moment her breathing grew shallower, her nerves collapsing in on themselves. Eventually her anxiety forced her to sit to prevent herself from collapsing. She hoped that her guest was too occupied with his own thoughts to have noticed, but with how quiet he was being she was sure he must have caught on and was waiting for her to calm down.

Since she wasn't going to calm down until this was over with, Winter decided to start the conversation. "You had questions for me?" she prompted, "I w-won't answer if I don't want to, but go ahead and ask."

She cursed herself for stuttering. Once upon a time she had spoken every other word with a stutter, only speaking clearly when sufficiently impassioned. It still crept through at the worst of times, and unless No Equal's questions were unexpectedly benign, she was sure her control over it would slip further as the conversation went on.

Elspeth

Marita gave a sympathetic look, perhaps pitying Elspeth's lack of confidence in her response. "It is quite the shame that so many look only at the records and fail to see the heart burning at the center of the sport." she framed her response expertly, supporting even Elspeth's half-baked response.

There were a few more mundane questions about Elsepth's performance and expectations. Marita seemed to have an angle she was pushing, trying to frame Elspeth as an underdog with more talent than she was given credit for. Even when Elspeth answered with self-doubt, Marita would find a way to spin it as a positive.

The energy in the room started to wind down, and it was clear the broadcast was coming to an end. But before it was over, Marita had one final question for Elspeth. This had little to do with her fight, her skills, or her public appearance. Instead, this question was a philosophical one, seemingly disconnected from mech combat entirely.

"Before we go, there's just one last thing I have to ask you, Ruby Darter." she led into the question with immense gravitas, "What trait do you have that you feel defines your humanity?"
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Raindrop Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
  • The Heroine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2020, 02:21:14 pm »

"Hmmm, that is more than fair I cannot force you to speak words that you do not wish to. If this is too painful for you I will not press further, and I will not linger here." This was just as hard for him as it was for her... perhaps in different ways but all the same. A matter of souls was no light thing. "I did not wish to speak of this in front of others as it is not something I should know, or I should not be able to." He looked down at the floor, away from the icy soul in front of him. He, still felt a pang of guilt, but should he? He couldn't stop his eyes seeing what they saw. He could only choose not to if he gouged them from his head. But that was hardly right or fair wasn't it?

"My eyes... you might know by now that they do not see." he said, softly referring to all that had occurred in this room prior. "But... they do "see". With them I can witness the souls of others, in blinding detail. As much as I wish I could turn it off, in all my quest I have never found a way. Perhaps, in some time I shall learn the depths of my soul to be able to finally close my eyes and live what little left I have in peace." he stopped for a moment, readying himself, before he looked into her eyes. His milky white eyes clearly no longer worked and yet, Winter could tell they were truly looking at her. "That is... what brings me here. In your soul I have see something that reminds me of my own, a part I do not understand. I was hoping I could speak to you to perhaps better understand the inexplicable part of myself."

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2020, 11:43:55 pm »

Ookami

Winter's expression shifted in a way that even Ookami could see. It was like her face dropped away dropped away, and an empty blackness remained in its place. The chill he felt from her had been insulated before, weakened by whatever sense of security was holding up her mask. Now Ookami was truly blinded. Not only had Winter become invisible to him, but her presence cut him off from everything else. Even if his power didn't prevent it, seeing his own soul would be impossible now. If he knew what death felt like, he would have welcomed it over this.

"You're right, you shouldn't know that." Winter sounded bitter, "I don't have as many names as the other three, but you've probably heard at least one before. I go by Cardinal, but considering what you know it might feel more comfortable if you use my real name: Belial." Ookami didn't have to see souls to hear the melancholy in her voice, it was more than apparent that Cardinal didn't consider Belial to be her name at all. "I hate to disappoint, but I don't think I'm what you're looking for. I'm not a kindred spirit, I'm a demon." Cardinal still sounded upset, but the mask was pulling itself together, slowly allowing Ookami to see again. "I'm not your answer, but I might be able to help. I have the power to glimpse the future, but the futures I see are warped in my favor, I am always the victor and hero in them. If I focus on you and use my Spark, then I might be able to see a future where I solve your problem."

She didn't outright offer to do it, but it was clear that she would if Ookami asked. It might even seem like she wanted him to ask, except it was overshadowed by her almost panicked attempt to pull herself back together.
Defile Circles Discord

Raindrop Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
  • The Heroine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2020, 02:53:33 pm »

He had believed it was as bad as it was going to get, Ookami was clearly wrong. The frigid cold so potent as freeze the blood in his veins. He felt what it was like to truly be in darkness, his eyes no longer able to see even what they would allow him. This darkness felt like the attempts to see his own soul, the refusal of his own soul to the power it granted. Except now he was enveloped in it, drowning within a darkness that cut him off from the rest of the world. He was still there and yet... he felt as if he was somewhere else entirely as well. The depths of despair he had see from the surface were merely that... the surface. He now knew the depths of the loneliness and pain she wallowed in. He felt it paralyze him, unable to move at the sudden shock of it all. But even before she began to regain her composure, Ookami resolved himself.

He didn't know what he was... and to discover that he would have to go to lengths no mere mortal would. He had always been different, there was a part of himself he could never understand despite being able to innately understand others at a mere glance. It had been those attempts to understand himself that took his vision in the first place, this power, it clearly wished to ward him off to keep him from discovering what he was... he always knew it be like this. He took a deep breath, and with it exhaled all the fear welled in his chest. Answers, they may finally be within reach.

"Cardinal..." he began when in the world he could once more get his body to respond. He refused to call her by a name that she so loathed, and therefore would not. "It is not a kindred spirit I seek, I don't even understand what I am. I seek the truth, to understand. And if you would offer to light that path, you are what I seek. It matters little what you are, it is the assistance to further my life long's journey. I am just a useless old man, I can do nothing but fight. And while battle has shown me many things of the souls of humanity, it's no longer a path that leads to enlightenment. If you can show me that...I would like that knowledge."

DragonRage

• Bay Watcher
  • Mwahahahahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2020, 05:38:03 pm »

"Defines... my... humanity...?" Elspeth repeats the question to give herself a bit more time to think.  Nope, nothing.  "My humanity... is defined...  byyyyyyyy...  Uh...  That is to say...  Uh..."
"If a lightning bolt can't solve your problems, you aren't being creative enough." - Zoe Walker

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2020, 08:58:13 pm »

Elspeth
The cameras were already off before Marita even asked her final question. when Elspeth proved unable to answer, Marita was immediately on her feet.

"I know it was brief, but I really enjoyed having you on the show, Elspeth." she said with a friendly smile, "I hope you continue to find success, maybe I'll even have you on again in a later round. For now I need you to get going, the interview is just a small part of the show, I still have statistic to cover and a frame-by-frame analysis to do. Good luck next round!"

Elspeth wasn't rushed out, by she was quickly sidelined as the studio launched into the same high speed preparation mode it had been in when she first entered.

Ookami

"Alright." Cardinal sounded unhappy and relieved at the same time. She had mixed feelings on what she was about to do. "Give me a few seconds, this won't take me long if I can do it."

Ookami would be able to sense that something was happening within her, a feeling like a storm reaching crescendo or a teapot boiling. The details were beyond his grasp, his understanding once again trapped at a surface level. Using her Spark didn't take Cardinal long, and Ookami could see her spirit go calm.

"You have to leave, now." her voice didn't share in that calm, "I'm sorry, I can't help you. You have to go." She abruptly grabbed him and tried to force him toward the teleporter. She cut off any protests or goodbyes with a repetition of her apology and further insistence that he go. It was clear that she was more than a little spooked.

Once she had successfully ushered Ookami out, Cardinal retreated to the bed and laid down to process what she'd seen. She felt bad for her response after offering to help, but she didn't want to give herself the option to follow through. Maybe she would explain at a later date, if she felt comfortable, Ookami deserved an explanation. She wasn't sure how she would explain. What she'd seen was uncomfortable and terrifying, she couldn't just share it with him. She'd tried several times to reframe the lens of her power and look beyond it, but she couldn't find another answer.

According to her Spark, the only way for Cardinal to be a hero in that situation was to immediately kill Ookami.
Defile Circles Discord
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]