Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens  (Read 10730 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2020, 06:36:01 am »

I think having extra black hawks is a good idea, especially when more aliens show up so we can engage multiple sights at the same time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2020, 07:22:34 pm »

I think having extra black hawks is a good idea, especially when more aliens show up so we can engage multiple sights at the same time.
+1, don’t we need to design something new, though? Or am I thinking the wrong phase?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2020, 08:44:14 pm »

I'll just toss this in so that votes are easier to follow.

As a note, A Balanced Approach is impossible given our finances, however we can purchase 2 F-22s and one Black Hawk, rather than two. As such, I've taken the liberty of modifying that suggestion to the latter. Obviously, if that isn't how it was intended, feel free to quote and correct.

I added Madman and Naturegirl with ?s because they implied they favored an approach towards more Black Hawks, but I'm not entirely sure whether they would necessarily favor the plan I assigned their votes to. If either of you think I'm misinterpreting, feel free to quote and correct.

Quote from: Votebox
A Balanced Approach (2 F-22s, 1 Black Hawks): (2?) Madman?, Naturegirl?
All the Fighters (3 F-22s): (1) ConscriptFive, Coleslaw

I cast my vote for All the Fighters because if we invest too much into Black Hawks we're not going to have the air power to at least shoot down any contacts before they can fulfill their missions, regardless of whether we let the crash site ops expire. I think two Black Hawks, and as such two dedicated squads, will keep us from spreading our resources (i.e. equipment) too thin among what would essentially be a conscript army of XCOM infantry squads (if we just showered the aliens in Black Hawk strike teams), and we're going to have enough time between turns to utilize the two Black Hawks on ops without having to miss any sits (unless we're absolutely swamped in crash sites, but even if that's the case it'd be preferable to lots of contacts in the air, with none crashed/landed.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:59:58 pm by coleslaw35 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2020, 08:51:13 pm »

Oops. Apparently I somehow got a 25 credit cost in my head for the Black Hawks instead of the 50 cr cost.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2020, 04:08:54 am »

A Balanced Approach (2 F-22s, 1 Black Hawks): (3?) King Zultan, Madman?, Naturegirl?
All the Fighters (3 F-22s): (1) ConscriptFive, Coleslaw
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2020, 08:58:10 am »

A Balanced Approach (2 F-22s, 1 Black Hawks): (3?) King Zultan, Madman, Naturegirl?
All the Fighters (3 F-22s): (2) ConscriptFive, Coleslaw
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2020, 10:40:52 am »

A Balanced Approach (2 F-22s, 1 Black Hawks): (2) King Zultan, Madman
All the Fighters (3 F-22s): (3) ConscriptFive, Coleslaw, NG1999

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2020, 11:09:29 am »

3 raptors have been purchased, at the cost of 180 credits.

It is now the tactical phase. How should we storm the crash site?

Balance: 10 credits

(you can rename the two alien species encountered so far (lizardmen and greys) to something else if you want)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Storage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hangar (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Operation Sites (click to show/hide)
it's over

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2020, 12:12:48 pm »

Sending both Black Hawks to a light scout operation seems like overkill.

What types of grenades do we have at our disposal? Do we have flashbangs/smoke grenades?

Quote from: OPLAN02: Camel Spider
Send in one Black Hawk with a full complement of soldiers, all armed with Tavors.

Upon arriving at the landing site, attempt to land behind nearby sand dunes for cover from any potential incoming fire. Operate in two teams of 4. One team advances while the other covers the other team's movements. Utilize smoke grenades (if we have them, whether from 40mm smoke rounds or actual smoke grenades) for concealment when/if needed, deserts don't have a whole lot of cover. After clearing the battlefield and upon arriving at the UFO, throw in a flashbang before breaching, if we have them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:14:41 pm by coleslaw35 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2020, 12:31:39 pm »

There's no COST to deploying them, however, so:

OPLAN02: Aggressive Maneuvers
Deploy 2 Black Hawks to Crashsite 003, four Tavors in each squad.
One squad is to provide cover and draws enemy attention to one flank while the other works their way towards the UFO from the other. The first Black Hawk is to land troops at a good distance from the UFO and advances to medium range while engaging, the second Black Hawk is to wait and approach rapidly from the rear and land close to cut off the line of retreat for the aliens.

Or possibly

OPLAN02: Being Careful
Both Black Hawks land at long range from the UFOs and infantry approach on foot from two directions, methodically clearing their way to the UFO with minimal casualties and threat of damage.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2020, 01:41:06 pm »

There's no COST to deploying them, however

I think there's merit to the idea of quality over quantity. Shoving more infantry into the fray just because we can isn't ideal from a tactical/strategic perspective.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2020, 02:02:57 pm »

1. We're still using all the quality troops we can
2. It isn't "ideal", no, ideally we'd have a large quantity of quality troops. There are no downsides, tactical or strategic, from bringing as many (reasonable) numbers as you can, not at this point anyway. Shoving more infantry into the fray is ABSOLUTELY a tactically good thing to do, because if you outnumber the enemy your chances to win get much higher.

Basically, we can add more troops to this assault, so we absolutely SHOULD. It makes our chances to win higher and the likelihood we'll take casualties lower and there is simply no downside to doing so. Throwing unarmed infantry against tanks, yeah that's never going to work. But not only are our guys NOT unarmed, they're also not drastically underpowered compared to the enemies, not yet. So while they don't have fancy equipment (yet), that's OK, because the basic equipment is still capable of killing aliens.

It would be foolish not to leverage every advantage we can.

Camel Spider: (0)
Aggressive Maneuvers: (0)
Being Carefuly: (1) Madman

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2020, 04:35:13 pm »

What types of grenades do we have at our disposal? Do we have flashbangs/smoke grenades?

Currently only 40mm High Explosive grenades for the M203s.
it's over

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2020, 04:53:59 pm »

It would be foolish not to leverage every advantage we can.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's currently a meaningful advantage, rather one that'll be more relevant later. By then though we'll have designed a craft capable of carrying a satisfactory amount of units into battle. I feel as though the only meaningful combat information we're going to get out of a mission like this if we intentionally outnumber the probably 2-4 defenders is "how many defending aliens can survive a hail of bullets and 40mm HE grenades from 16 soldiers?" Seems excessive and unnecessary for victory in this case.

EDIT: I don't personally subscribe to the idea because pure numbers doesn't necessitate better odds. I think the Vietnamese War is an example of how effective of an advantage defending forces can have, but I'll grant you that the North Vietnamese were infinitely more familiar with their surroundings and had almost every tactical advantage possible. Then again, the North Vietnamese also didn't have energy guns.

Perhaps I'm operating under the mechanics of Xenonauts too much, which this forum game is based on. In Xenonauts, at least, it's always good to at least have a transport w/ squad on standby in case of any sudden and unexpected terror/landed UFO/base attack missions, but Xenonauts is real time and not turn-based like this. It's possible that's where I'm getting hung up.

Obviously I don't expect/demand people to do things my way, and I'm not going to be offended or anything if I'm voted against, I'm just pushing back against others' rationales so that I can see the justifications and thought process behind them, of which I think is valuable.

Currently only 40mm High Explosive grenades for the M203s.

Damn. How much would expanded ordnance cost, or would this be something we'd have to "research?" And if we do "research" them, would we handle it like Xenonauts where you get an infinite amount?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:00:49 pm by coleslaw35 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2020, 05:15:02 pm »

OK, so, in the Vietnamese War the asymmetry was in the US forces being outnumbered *and* less familiar with the terrain and operating in a jungle. If you look at some of the special forces operations, though, you find that once the US forces *did* learn how to operate properly in a jungle, the incredible lopsidedness of the fight became apparent, with four-man US specops patrols wiping out disproportionately valuable NVA and Viet Cong assets and groups.

Anyway, I'm seeing quite a lot of reasons for why we shouldn't necessarily swamp a single site with guys at the expense of another target, but not one that actually suggests any reason to not kill the aliens deader than dead and ensure there's no chance of a screwup.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9