Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens  (Read 10737 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2020, 05:51:34 pm »

OK, so, in the Vietnamese War the asymmetry was in the US forces being outnumbered *and* less familiar with the terrain and operating in a jungle. If you look at some of the special forces operations, though, you find that once the US forces *did* learn how to operate properly in a jungle, the incredible lopsidedness of the fight became apparent, with four-man US specops patrols wiping out disproportionately valuable NVA and Viet Cong assets and groups.

If I remember correctly, the American COALITION of forces was larger than the forces brought to bear by the North, but the Americans themselves numbered fewer than the North Vietnamese. Also, is your latter statement not unfavorable to your point? 4-man squad that managed to more effectively assault and destroy valuable enemy manpower and material despite their numbers?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2020, 05:53:24 pm »

No, it is not counter to my point:

Numbers *are* an advantage, they're just not the be-all end-all advantage. It is not impossible to defeat a numerically superior force (hence the US successes), but having greater numbers IMPROVES your chances. Therefore, there is NO reason not to send two Black Hawks on this mission (since that maximizes our chances, which are already pretty good). That's my argument, confused though it may have been.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2020, 05:59:54 pm »

They can be shot down, there might be a surprise round that would benefit from having a spare Blackhawk at base, or we might take reputation or funding losses if we lose too many elite soldiers because we like human wave tactics.

In this case we probably should send both, even if one hangs back, but there are some reasons not to send overwhelming numbers to every fight.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2020, 06:04:31 pm »

1. If they can be shot down, well, does sending two somehow increase the chance of losing one? I think not, therefore sending two is just a good way to raise the chances that the mission is completed anyway.
2. I'd be surprised (heh) if we needed a Black Hawk at base given that, y'know, we have interceptors for the fast-reaction duty and need to send in the helicopters later.
3. Well, yeah, but this isn't human wave tactics, now is it? The extra soldiers are not equipped worse than the others, they're just more soldiers. We're not using human wave tactics (which are, for reference, entirely independent of your numerical advantage, or otherwise. And are also not effective in the slightest, they're horribly inefficient. So we will never use them because we use only actually competent soldiers.)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2020, 06:43:09 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Camel Spider: (0)
Aggressive Maneuvers: (0)
Being Careful: (2) Madman, m1895

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2020, 07:12:04 pm »

Vertical envelopment is a go... now all we need are M-60's for the door gunners.

https://i.imgur.com/WZUfVZ8.mp4

Can you hear the Fortunate Son playing?

Being Careful: (3) Madman, m1895, ConscriptFive

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2020, 05:57:20 am »

Being Careful: (4) Madman, m1895, ConscriptFive, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2020, 07:48:29 am »

Being Careful: (5) Madman, m1895, ConscriptFive, King Zultan, Coleslaw