Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens  (Read 10644 times)

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
Re: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 06:39:35 pm »

Why is the new gun listed as below average? Let's buy 5 new guns, 3 for the team attacking the  scout and 2 for the team attacking the light scout.
Acquisitions Plan Alpha: 001
Purchase Two More Black Hawks (assuming this is possible, Im unsure what Max 2/None means)
Purchase Tavors enough to equip two squads
Bank the rest of the money
I think we are at the max amount of Black hawks. If we try to buy Tavors for two sqauds we need to find a way to get an extra 60 credits.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:50:50 pm by The Canadian kitten »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 06:55:38 pm »

Acquisitions Plan Alpha: 001
Purchase Two More Black Hawks (assuming this is possible, Im unsure what Max 2/None means)
Purchase Tavors enough to equip two squads
Bank the rest of the money
Unspent money gets carried over to future turns. Since two full squads is 16 soldiers, you'd need to spend 160 credits to give each squad 8 Tavors. Yet again, you could just assign the Tavors to the soldiers that won't wear red shirts, and give the redshirts M16s. TCK's plan of just buying 5 Tavors (3 for the scout raid and 2 for the light scout raid) would be more reasonable.

Why is the new gun listed as below average?
It rolled a 3 for Effectiveness. A note: Each stat is relative; a pistol with high Effectiveness will not be as powerful in combat as a Minigun with low effectiveness. It still should be stronger than a M16 for a myriad of reasons. Weapons will be assignable to soldiers during the Tactical phase; any unused equipment stays in the storage, and any non-destroyed equipment gets returned to the storage after a successful (non-squadwipe/evacuated) mission.

Quote from: votebox since apparently the OP has to be on votebox starting duty
Acquisitions Plan Alpha (1): UristMcRiley | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176293.msg8137337#msg8137337
Buying 5 Tavors (1): The Canadian kitten
it's over

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 07:02:24 pm »

Probably should just get 8, since we will be using them for the rest of our existence until we get alien technology weapons.

Buy 8, 2 goes to Light Scout, 8 goes to Normie Scout

Operation Alpha Mike Foxtrot:
Send Blackhawk-1 to Crashsite-001 with 2 Tavors and 8 equipped soldiers
Send Blackhawk-2 to Crashsite-002 with 6 Tavors and 8 equipped soldiers

You don’t really need a tactical phase since we can just buy our gear here and then send our soldiers there, need more writing time?

Quote from: votebox since apparently the OP has to be on votebox starting duty
Acquisitions Plan Alpha (1): UristMcRiley | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176293.msg8137337#msg8137337
Alpha Mike Foxtrot (1): SC777

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 07:36:27 pm »

You don’t really need a tactical phase since we can just buy our gear here and then send our soldiers there, need more writing time?
This phase is for buying/creating/selling stuff, the next phase is for planning and voting on operations, and after the Tactical phase, the results of any operations done will be shown at the start of the Strategy phase.
it's over

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 07:47:11 pm »

So we are Buying Eight Tavor's and Banking the rest of the money that is the conclusion?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2020, 08:16:53 pm »

So we are Buying Eight Tavor's and Banking the rest of the money that is the conclusion?

If the votebox decides that we'll buy 8 Tavor-21s, then yes.
it's over

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 08:33:50 pm »

Hey, I missed the beginning of a new AR. That's not supposed to happen! You should announce it and provide a link in the AR Discord.

Wow, no love for the M-16? How does one acquire an unreliable M-16, anyway? You'd have to go fetch some of the bad ammo and the original guns tested in Vietnam, and then mistreat the things pretty badly. And why does it use the 20 round mags that pretty much zero militaries use? It's like you wanted us to start with a weapon unsuitable even for fighting a war with a regular old modern military, instead of one unsuitable merely for fighting a war with a spacefaring alien race.

Anyway, Tavor is OK, at least. We should've gone ahead and gotten ourselves a Remington ACR, the new 6.8mm rifle in development for the US military. We'd have to make it work since it presently isn't good enough to replace the M-16, but then this is an Arms Race. The higher caliber would've let us pack a bigger punch, and I believe the ACR is supposed to come in SAW, DMR, and regular AR formats all in one package (using some interchangeable parts).

For now, we definitely ought to give several Tavors to our soldiers, since the extra firepower of the underbarrel GLs ought to make up for our lack of any quality military equipment whatsoever.

Quote from: Votebox
Alpha Mike Foxtrot (1): SC777

On the subject of mechanics: Having played many ARs, I would not recommend the three-dice system. It is basically tripling your design's chances for failure without providing any serious benefit---it cripples innovation. A 6 in "Complications" or "Cost" would not, like a 6 (or whatever die you're rolling, 2d4 or 2d6 is standard right now in ARs because it provides a more balanced set of results, weighted towards the middle of the range of possible values) in "Effectiveness", improve the result. However, a 1 in Complications or Cost can sink an otherwise good design just as effectively as a 1 in "Effectiveness", i.e. triple the possibility of failure for any given project.

I do agree with Shadow that you don't need so many phases. It works just as well to have an Intercept Phase, an Operations Phase, and a Design Phase (+ revision phase?). Operations is where you purchase all your equipment AND submit a plan that deploys ground troops to each UFO site, since the two things are directly related, while Intercept is where you go shoot down UFOs.

"Research" seems like it's something we'll get to after acquiring some alien artifacts, I guess? Anyway, that seems to suggest you have no Revision phase. I highly recommend a revision phase, it's always good for players to have a way to try and fix a problem with a given design without needing to spend a whole other design action on it, ESPECIALLY if said design action carries the risk of rolling a 1 in just one of the THREE categories and having that sink the new attempt. (If you can't tell, I am not a fan of the 3-dice system and am glad it's gone from newer ARs)

Sorry for the text wall. I realized that this was getting to be a long-winded thing a little too late and I really do want to mention all of those things that fell out of favor after the AR you're drawing a lot of inspiration from. These XCOM ARs are a lot of fun, and I really want to see one of them keep going.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 08:56:45 pm »

Yeah, the three dice system is an old Draig innovation that never really worked well.  Mostly because effectiveness and bugs end up being too similar a concept.  Some might say the same thing about a cost die: something could be highly ineffective by being stupidly expensive as well (think V2 rocket.)

Also, a low roll is good now?  You anarchist, you should make hitpoints blue and Mana red too.  :)

So yeah, +1 what Madman said.  Also, good luck with your game.  XCOM themed games always draw a lot of players.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:59:38 pm by ConscriptFive »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2020, 09:02:12 pm »

Also, a low roll is good now?  You anarchist, you should make hitpoints blue and Mana red too.  :)

What do you mean a low roll is good?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2020, 09:03:42 pm »

...look at the Tavor rolls.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »

I believe orca is like an adolescent my dudes he doesn’t understand the nuances that Arm Races have that appeal to the more hardcore crowd, I think the user is trying to keep things simple to try and wrap his head around all the so-called complicated mechanics that it has, As for this

What do you mean a low roll is good?

Orca’s rolling a d6 or what it appears, it seems like rolling a 1 on Cost and Bugs resulted in a perfectly fine weapon, however how much is a Credit, because you can get one of those things for like 1000 USD so your making Xcom feeling very cheaply funded

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2020, 09:10:26 pm »

Quote from: votebox 4 purchases
Alpha Mike Foxtrot (2): SC777, NG1999
The more Tavors the better

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2020, 09:12:15 pm »

Quote from: votebox 4 purchases
Alpha Mike Foxtrot (3): SC777, NG1999, Madman

Apparently I copied the votebox and then forgot to add my vote, absolutely genius.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2020, 09:23:52 pm »

-snip: wall of text ediition-

Fuck you, you will now never be notified whenever i start an AR game in the future. Also, the AR discord exists?

Also, I'm talking about the ORIGINAL M16s, not the actually reliable M16A1s/A2s/A3s/A4s.

Regarding mechanics, I released a half finished AR VERY late at night and didn't realize until the next morning, which explains why the mechanics are made up on the fly.

-snip- Orca’s rolling a d6 or what it appears, -snip-

IT'S 0CRA DAMNIT

I WISH I DIDN'T HAVE TO LEAVE THOSE 3 WORDS BEHIND WITH THE PREVIOUS DECADE especially after a roblox username change (yes I still play that game even though it's gone really far downhill since I first played in 2012) specifically to reduce the amount of misspellings on that site alone
it's over

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2020, 09:57:48 pm »

AR discord for anyone who wants to join it

The original M16s were unreliable due to their ammunition supply as well as any physical issues they might have had, hence my mention of it. All the M16s from that point on have been fantastic weapons, hence why the US still hasn't replaced them---nothing is better enough to justify all the myriad problems of replacing them.

As for mechanics, that's alright. Just do your best to fix problems you find with the system.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9