Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens  (Read 10292 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Task Force Xray - A PvE arms race against ayyliens
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2020, 12:11:09 pm »

Considering we started with equipment fifty years out of date, I think "slowed tech progression" might very well be the name of the game.

The thing is, C5, all these UFOs are coming in for a landing, so yeah, A-10's ceiling is not such a problem, and like I said, it can absolutely be refit into a flying missile boat covered in air-to-air missiles with the massive gun as a backup weapon.

My personal favorite is the F-14, but obviously I think that IF we can actually get any F-22s, we should do that.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2020, 12:29:53 pm »

Quote from: Planebox
F-22 (2): C5, m1895

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2020, 12:44:08 pm »

-snip: wall of text ediition-

Fuck you, you will now never be notified whenever i start an AR game in the future. Also, the AR discord exists?

-snip- Orca’s rolling a d6 or what it appears, -snip-

IT'S 0CRA DAMNIT

I am quite surprised how little you've changed, Orca. :)

EDIT: However, you've got me intrigued, and this quarantine has me bored. I'll throw my hat into the ring. I'm getting some strong Xenonauts vibes from this, and I like that game.

F-22 (3): C5, m1895, Coleslaw
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:09:33 pm by coleslaw35 »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »

I'm getting some strong Xenonauts vibes from this, and I like that game.

Congratulations, you figured out what I was taking heavy inspiration from theme-wise. It took 8 days for someone to figure it out.
it's over

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2020, 02:21:55 pm »

Congratulations, you figured out what I was taking heavy inspiration from theme-wise. It took 8 days for someone to figure it out.

I'm sure some probably knew, but then again the people on Bay12 tend to strike me as xCOOMers rather than XenoNUTters.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2020, 04:07:00 pm »

I'm sure some probably knew, but then again the people on Bay12 tend to strike me as xCOOMers rather than XenoNUTters.

sigged
it's over

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2020, 04:31:56 am »

F-22 (4): C5, m1895, Coleslaw, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:47 am »

I’ve never heard of either of 2these games u til this forum

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2020, 11:40:04 am »

I’ve never heard of either of 2these games u til this forum

Xenonauts I can understand not knowing about, but XCOM? :0

I'd recommend playing Xenonauts honestly, and they're releasing a Xenonauts 2.. eh.. sometime? The release date was set for 2019 but as far as I know they've changed that to "to be decided" so I don't exactly have high hopes for it ever being released.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2020, 02:03:29 pm »

It's another design phase where everyone voted for one thing.

F-22 Raptor
"The gold standard of modern fighter aircraft, the F-22 Raptor is a stealth aircraft packing an arsenal of air-to-air missiles and a cannon, with vectored thrust and advanced electronics suites allowing it to eliminate targets with incredible precision, the only downside of this modern beast is its price tag. It can hardly be seen by radar, is hard to detect with thermal emissions, and even if you can't see it, it can most certainly see you, and shortly thereafter kill you. The US military isn't really in any major wars right now, so we're going to ask them pretty please can we borrow a handful of F-22s to defend the entire world against alien threats?"

Effectiveness: 5 - High
Cost: 5 - Expensive (60cr)
Complications: 2 - Minimal (Longer Repairs - Non-minor damage takes one more turn to repair than normal)

Another instance of "instead of designing new shit, let's just rip off existing designs used by existing militaries!". After contacting the US Air Force, we've convinced them to let us borrow some until this war ends, at a price. Each F-22 has 1 cannon hardpoint, 6 internal light hardpoints, and enhanced stealth capabilities - but that might not be as helpful against a way more advanced alien threat that could potentially detect the finest stealth fighters humanity can design, but oh well. For weight reasons, we won't be able to use the 4 external hardpoints if we want optimal stealth and flight range.

It is now the research phase. Now that there's actual stuff to research, why not see how the ayylien trash we've recovered works?

Balance: 190 credits

(you can rename the two alien species encountered so far (lizardmen and greys) to something else if you want)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Storage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hangar (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Operation Sites (click to show/hide)
it's over

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2020, 02:35:08 pm »

Ideally Raptors are going to take more to hit than normal, since I'd assume that the aliens can't just negate the fact that it really is harder to spot by most metrics even if they've got standard XCOM near-magical tech. Otherwise that "takes longer to repair" complication is actually going to hurt.

Quote from: Votebox
Research Light Scout Wreck: (1) Madman

I don't think this phase actually requires any sort of proposal, just a vote for what thing we want to poke at. Since the aliens explode when hit with grenades, I think the priority is to find more effective ways to put the UFOs down, so let's research the UFOs themselves. Starting with the little one, so if this phase turns out to have rolls/we don't get maximum results from our first-ever investigation into any given topic (the second is reasonable and a common limit on progression, the first I believe was tried once and was torturous), we don't lose the possible coolness of the bigger UFO.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2020, 02:35:57 pm »

EDIT: Ninja'd D:
There's definitely something to be said for finding the weaknesses in current UFO designs, and it may very well make our lives easier if we want to try and ensure the aircraft we do have aren't constantly sitting in the repairing bay. Alternatively, we could pursue a pure numbers game with what we have and just have so many aircraft that we can swamp our foes, but that's not likely to be economically or operationally feasible. I'm confident that our new generation of aircraft, once we get the chance to order some, will at least tide us over for now.

Though, we might get some tasty, tasty stuff from cutting apart alien crafts...

We've updated our small arms (which seem to do fine against our current threats), and we're about to update our aircraft. How about we seek to update our armor?

Spoiler: AM1-ARES (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:44:21 pm by coleslaw35 »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2020, 03:03:54 pm »

Researching the UFO will also give us some insight into alien material science as well.  Seems like a waste to chase body armor before doing that.

Plus if we really screw up the roll, we're about to recover another light scout.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2020, 04:39:06 pm »

Researching the UFO will also give us some insight into alien material science as well.  Seems like a waste to chase body armor before doing that.

Fair enough.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2020, 08:21:21 pm »

I agree researching the UFO will be helpful. Maybe we can learn. Ore about how to make the orange liquid for the orange weapons
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9