Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding clothing degradation  (Read 1311 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding clothing degradation
« on: May 06, 2020, 11:09:29 pm »

The wiki says every 806400 "points" of wear will increase the item's damage level one step. So how often do I need to change their clothes in game?

Also the wiki says a burning item will be totally consumed after 9 months and 16.8 days (10 points of wear per tick), is the information accurate? 9 months sounds too long.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding clothing degradation
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:17:00 am »

Is there any setting in raws/objects where we could change the tick for wear from 10 to 1 in this value? Not all of us are crazed fashion divas, specially about leather clothing, which suppose to go bad in what... 2 years? 1 year? The leather stuff, which lasts usually for decades and decades. :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 03:47:55 am »

The starting 7 get their clothing reduced to the 'x' level after 2 years, so the replacement rate ought to be to replace every item every 2 years if you want them to have clothing with no visible wear. Basically you ought to produce half your fortress pop items of each type every year. This gets complicated by hoarding, though, with some dorfs hoarding unworn clothing in their rooms, even of masterwork quality for some reason.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:11:05 am »

Current they don't have their own rooms, so hoarding is not a thing, or I guess.
I added some clothes making tasks in the manager screen. I also switch between monthly and seasonly check, depending on if they are wearing tattered clothes.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:03:06 am »

How you go about disrobing your Visitors, can greatly help your dorfs stay dressed up in style. I prefer the poisoned tavern rental room. Get 5 Kennels and 20 metal animal traps. Then pit a few vermin from a hatch above, into their rental like a good slumlord. Spiders and Bees sting, not sure what else, I throw it all in. Petproof their room door, cannot have loose cats in the tavern corridor. Kinda like bedbugs. Then when they are sick, kill um with feather wood training weapons.  The ol'kill ya with a tea cup, Riddick trick. Prop dead visitor up on cinder blocks, and strip him for gear.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:05:22 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 11:44:18 am »

I don't know if not having a room will prevent them from acquiring more clothing than they actually need. I suspect they'll just never collect their hoard, but rather let it lie scattered about where the pieces were dropped when a new shiny became available.

@knutor: You know that you can rob visitors blind without killing them, don't you? Just mark all their items for dumping (might not work on their books), and dorfs should run up to them and snatch the items.