Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 48533 times)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am developping a Sandbox, citybuilder game with physics
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2020, 12:53:25 pm »

Any plans yet on how to handle different cultures
I think this new update will answer a bit more to your question.

So, this is a different update, mostly talking about the story of the galaxy, and therefore how the galaxy will be generated.

So far I have mostly presented technical features of the game, but I came to the point that explaining the story of this galaxy might be relevant. Last week end I have created the generation of the galaxy, but some questions now emerge, how human kind spreaded ? Are there any others species ? What are the ruling political entities ? Etc...

Also as a disclaimer, english isn't my native language, I prefer to reassure you in advance that I won't put such poorly written summary in-game, and I will seek help from a native speaker.

Mankind progressively colonised the vicinity of their home planet, expanding slowly with a technology that barely allowed to reach 1/10th the light speed. But the discovery of a rogue planet made of antimatter made the scientific to revise theirs baryon asymmetry model, but also provided  humanity with a virtually infinite source of energy.

At the same time, it unravelled the mystery behind inactive ancient stargates as they were powered with antimatter.

New and exotic faster-than-light propulsion systems were developped, it was now possible for humans to expand without limitation in the galaxy, and they did, eagerly, stunningly fast.

A centralised federation structured the expansion, the fedearation ruled unchallenged as long as they controlled this unique supply of antimatter. No challenge meant that an inefficient and decadent bureaucracy was building up.

At the same time a charismatic prophet appeared, preaching a new religion, he managed to convince the population of the core worlds, weary of the  economical troubles due to the uncontrolled colonization, that exploitation of antimatter was a heresy to fight. The message even reached the hearth of the agnostic, while they didn't believe in any god, the economy at the same time continued to worsen, and it became clear this prophet held at least a political solution.

One day, a bold group of zealot took control of the entire defense system that protected the antimatter source. They immediatly cut the antimatter supply and a new order was created. It took only 5 days before humanity's stock of antimatter ran out. Every single colonized planetary systems were suddenly isolated to the exception of a few “loyal” core systems. Even faster-than-light communications were cut, as they depended on antimatter.

It was an unconcevable disaster for most colonies. The few self sufficient colonies manage to survive, but most plunged into barbarism or banished.

This situation prevailed for hundreds of years, but the religious order had the same fate as the old federation. A decadent society was to be replaced by a new one, in the same brutal manner.

An empire emerged, a strong, bold and violent empire. Supported by a fierce population that endured the strict leadership of a religious order. The supply of antimatter was immediatly and massively unleashed to the core worlds.

It was the time of a new colonisation era, but a brutal one. As the new empire ambition was to first rule on all the remnants, thousands of forgotten colonies. Any adventurer, with an armed spaceship and some mercenaries could conquer several world. Soon enough the empire was no more than an huge an decentralized agglomerate of little empire, ruled by ruthless warlords.

This is when the player will start write his own story. I wont make any suggestions, or tell you what you can or can't do, the game will give you the liberty to chose.

I am continuing into planet procedural generation since monday, I made some good progress, I'll probably have something nice to show tomorrow.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2020, 04:34:43 pm »

Also as a disclaimer, english isn't my native language, I prefer to reassure you in advance that I won't put such poorly written summary in-game, and I will seek help from a native speaker.
Looks fairly good. Non-native speakers of English tend to know English better than they think (or, rather, those that don't are way off, and you aren't).

If you want my opinion...

That looks as hard to read all my edits as it was to weave them all in in the first place. Maybe I did not do it in the best way, but I've put the time into it now... ;) Anyway, it's all IMO, as well. Doubtless there are other ideas (like switch to -ize instead if -ise, when making that bit consistent :'( ).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:44:39 pm by Starver »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2020, 07:29:37 pm »

geoffroypir, have you played Star Traders: Frontiers? Seems a bit like the backstory of that game. It's distinct enough, and a niche game, so I doubt anyone would accuse you of ripping them off. But you might want to check them out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2020, 10:13:28 pm »

Non-native english speakers tend to write better than many native english speakers, because they haven't integrated a lifetime of bad habits into their writing.  It also helps not to assume that you're a great writer, whereas many native english speakers think they're Shakespeare.  I think your writing is fine, but it's always nice to get a second person to review your work.

So, what do we the players get to play? Are we those adventurers/warlords that you mentioned?

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2020, 05:21:06 am »

Don't worry, you are doing quite well. :) Most French I've met online had terrible English. You are one of the few exceptions so far. Far too often the worst English I encounter comes from native speakers. Like mentioned before, they grow up with the language and are much more likely to adopt bad habits (seeing people writing "of" instead of "have" drives me insane...).

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2020, 03:54:22 pm »

Wow Starver, you have all my gratitude for correcting my text ! You have spent a lot of energy into this. Unfortunately I cannot edit the text in the kickstarter news but surely you gave me another rare opportunity to improve my english.
Also don't worry, I'll use "s" and any anclicisation where I can , I own you that. And no one in the known world can teach an english man how to colonise.
I will give you a proper answer to your questions tomorrow night when I'll have free time as it deserve a detailed answer indeed.

Don't worry, you are doing quite well. :) Most French I've met online had terrible English. You are one of the few exceptions so far. Far too often the worst English I encounter comes from native speakers. Like mentioned before, they grow up with the language and are much more likely to adopt bad habits (seeing people writing "of" instead of "have" drives me insane...).
Do you have an exemple of this mistake ?  I cannot fathom how someone can use "of" instead of "have" haha

So, what do we the players get to play? Are we those adventurers/warlords that you mentioned?
Simple answer : yes. But there will be a whole faction and political dynamic to it and allegeances to choose from.

By the way, the kickstarter ended today, at least 5 bay12 forumers have backed my project (according to kickstarter metrics) , meaning this topic was the first source of backers, so special thanks to all of you above ^.

geoffroypir, have you played Star Traders: Frontiers? Seems a bit like the backstory of that game. It's distinct enough, and a niche game, so I doubt anyone would accuse you of ripping them off. But you might want to check them out.
Haven't heard of this game, I did some research and I understand how there are some similarities, but it is mostly because we (star traders dev and me ) drawn our inspiration from science fiction literature for which I am fond.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:09:35 pm by geoffroypir »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2020, 04:18:52 pm »

Do you have an exemple of this mistake ?  I cannot fathom how someone can use "of" instead of "have" haha

You're English could of been worse. :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2020, 08:16:14 pm »

Well, sorry, but looks like I didn't get in on the ground-floor of the kickstarter, despite my "I'll write it here so it encourages me to do it", etc. I've never quite gotten from this thread onto the kickstarter zone, so I'm not any of those five I'm afraid. (Or, more accurately, I'm sorry it wasn't six of us.) Maybe later..?  When it's not 2am.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2020, 02:42:10 am »

Well, it seems that this has been taken care of already ;)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2020, 06:53:15 am »

PTW

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »

This hurts

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2020, 05:05:34 pm »

nothing to do with editing, but in this scenario I'm wondering how they - presumably - mine the planet...
I believe detection would be achieved by analysing unexpected sources of gamma (a rogue antimatter body in a matter environment would regularly come across matter molecules or may even heat its local environment in a relativly dense area (like a nebula) while keeping its integrity.
Extraction could be achieved with controlled micro explosion (with matter) or maybe with gravitational manipulation, maybe by gravitationally harnessing the anti-matter body into a roche's limit of a large planet to create  a stable ring of antimatter (easier to scoop), or even a tool manufactured in antimatter and "manipulated" with a magnetic devices.
Storage AFAIK could be what we currently use at CERN (magnetisme) to store antimatter protons.

And religious orders tend to be ostensibly against decadence - this one especially - so not sure you mean that
I agree on this, I should be more specific.
It isn't really about decadence on moral and religious value, but more likely a crumbling control on population, an authority that progressively loose its grasp on population due to dissent over a deeply corrupted society.

:P

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2020, 09:34:23 am »

Hey

I have made some progress on the civilisation generator

more details here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geopi/war-industry-a-sandbox-city-builder-with-physics/posts/2888046

ps : just noticed some building sprites are in the wrong tech level

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:48 am »

Could call it a feature, and leave a couple from each previous age as historical buildings.  ;D

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2020, 10:06:31 am »

Could call it a feature, and leave a couple from each previous age as historical buildings.  ;D
I can already set building as historical in my generator (locking age evolution) As I plan to add a set of monuments and I think blending era is accurate . I took that from sim city I think, where you could do that to building you liked.
But in this case I have no excuses, It seems some peoples are a bit too ahead of their time XD
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22