Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 48505 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.
« Reply #285 on: December 27, 2022, 12:26:11 pm »

I love how this went from some simple side-view pixel cities and terrain to modeling the trauma of individuals growing up. It has a very DF feel to the complexity curve.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 27, 2022, 01:34:37 pm »

Glad to hear it!

What are your plans regarding beta, early access, closed testing, etc?

Closed testing first for a certain tier of backer, this will be a cohort of about 100 individuals at most, perhaps late 2023.
EA will come once the game is finished and every single detected bug are fixed, I see no point into releasing an EA if obvious bugs remain and if all core modules of the game aren't implemented yet, this would slow down dev into time-consuming maintenance and production tasks.
Going from 100 comprehensive testers to say, 10 000 customers who (rightfully) expect a playable piece of software will surely unravel a huge amount of bugs and frustration.

I do not exclude having a semi-closed alpha though, outside steam's EA which is nowadays just another commercial trick.

as someone who has found the most obscure bugs even the devs are confused by on big triple A games...I can say that I'd break your game really quick :P And all by accident too, I have no idea how I find such obscure bugs just playing games...and find the most obscure game breaking bugs that even the devs get confused by rofl

I know your kind  :P , I am working for an established game where we have such a group of steel-eyed individuals that dedicate their energy to ruin our work !  :'( --- Jocking aside, we devs usually repeat the same actions into the same order hence the fact we can easily miss the most obvious issues.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2022, 03:25:31 pm »

I do not exclude having a semi-closed alpha though, outside steam's EA which is nowadays just another commercial trick.

An opt-in backer alpha with the express purpose of testing isn't a bad idea. There are always people happy to help bughunt and give feedback on early versions of a game they've already paid for. And as long as it is clearly communicated what's going on and the intent you usually avoid most of the EA backlash.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2023, 06:46:25 pm »

A new trailer where I have squeezed as much as I could !
https://youtu.be/v211Iv_D2dg

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2023, 08:13:12 pm »

Probably too late to do anything about it, but "generated lives", not "generated lifes", and just "space combat", not "space combats"... otherwise, looks good!

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 15, 2023, 08:43:04 pm »

That's too late for this version of the trailer, but I have noted this for the next one, thanks for pointing that out.

----------------

A new devlog is out, discussing about the planet surface.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1343010/view/5795603367722101236

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2023, 09:53:31 pm »

PTW, this looks very cool. Also very ambitious!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 22, 2023, 11:42:55 am »

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2023, 04:04:30 pm »

Development continues as usual, and here are 2 devlogs from the past months :

Station building and colonisation
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1343010/view/6141262952477844806

Passenger transport, migrations, scavenging and more...
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1343010/view/3713820137794103387

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2023, 11:03:25 pm »

Holy shit did it move far! Man all the slice i just saw threw me in awe. Ill be watching closely!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 01, 2023, 04:28:16 pm »

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2023, 12:05:46 pm »

New devlog : https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1343010/view/3714951661245061716?

----This is the first part of a series of Devlogs on cities, regions, and industries. There is too much to write about, hence the division. ---

Here is an overview of the planet. We start at a date just after the universe's generation.

The entire planet surface of the planet (pre-explored for your convenience)

The northern region where the city of Drumin stands, with its claimed territory.

The city of Drumin has no industry to speak of, probably a city of despisable tree-hugging beatniks living in self-sufficiency.

Can we bring them to the heavenly light of heavy industry and consumerism? Let's see...

Its capital region, Savas has 12 000 inhabitants, and the entirety of its economy relies on subsistance.

Savas in the game represents an entire region, or hexagonal tile, on the planisphere.

Here we have all our existing industries and developments. Some are created naturally like "Wilderness" and others are human-built or indirectly created (ruins).

The subsistence "industry" is simulated like any other "industry" present on the tile. For example "Wilderness industry" is a simple one that evolves according to climates, biodiversity dynamics (flora), and the influence of other "industries".

The subsistence "industry" is created by default on a pre-industrialized generated city. If a population remains unemployed, it will slowly build subsistence slots for free, and draft jobs to the "industry".

It aims to provide a minimal standard of living, with vital and basic needs such as housing, food, water, furniture, clothing, but also building materials. The profit is distributed entirely to the workers, and often the worker will buy back the entire production. The subsistence profit per worker also serves as an implicit minimum wage, no one will work for an employer if living on subsistence brings more revenue (ahem...).

While subsistence is created naturally, the "industry" relies on a lot of factors, not all subsistence slots are equal across the different regions. Subsistence in a lush forest, with a coastline and natural resources, will fare much better than in a heavily urbanized/barren region where the only game to hunt is sewer rats. A subsistence economy can even create excedent production for export or domestic uses.

As such, fishing, hunting, gathering, farming, water extraction (from aquifer or coastline),  production of furniture and even scavenging from ruins are simulated.

Even though subsistence is capable of operation without any input, this "industry" has some optional inputs that will increase productivity, if available in good supply.

Therefore, the best approach to careful and self-sufficient industrialization is to first expand the tool industry and supply energy.

About a quarter of the population is capable of working, this value can change according to policies.

The working population is generating a taxable :'-( income. It serves to pay for vital needs (in priority), basic needs, and luxury needs.

We see that no saving is being made across the population, but they sustain themselves pretty well.

A good chunk of the income (16$/year) is spent on food. Nothing on luxury goods.

The value of money : note that money doesn't have a fixed value in terms of actual wealth, the simulation drives the inflation/deflation accordingly and most products don't even have any base value.

[h1]Path to industrialization ?[/h1]
Drumin has a healthy subsistence economy, and 2 rich coal deposits to the northeast and east, but no significant iron deposits.  Coal can be used to fuel a power plant, and to produce iron bars (with iron ore).

The best way to produce tools is with wood and iron bars, but they can also be produced from wood and stones, so even if the importation of iron ore is impossible, industrialization is still viable.

--- The next devlog of the series will follow shortly ---

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2023, 02:34:44 pm »

Looking good!

Seems odd that the only city on a planet would decide to settle itself on the artic tundra, when there's a perfectly good habitable zone just to their south. Although, as you mention, they seem to be happy enough sustaining themselves on roots and berries.

You mention that they're currently not spending anything on "luxury" goods - would a city of this tech level have any luxuries available? What's considered a stone-age luxury? Spices / furs / gems?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2023, 03:21:46 pm »

The value of money : note that money doesn't have a fixed value in terms of actual wealth, the simulation drives the inflation/deflation accordingly and most products don't even have any base value.

I love this so much, I always find it weird when games, especially ones with futuristic 4x just seem to have some pan-galactic credits that everyone uses with no explanation of how it's managed.

Money is debt, just a very fancy IOU. Does the money on Drumin correlate universally or is it unique to the planet/city?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2023, 05:38:11 pm »

It looks fun.
Its capital region, Savas has 12 000 inhabitants, and the entirety of its economy relies on subsistance.
Why are there 12,000 in the capital itself, while outlying regions have 100-700?
If the entire economy is early subsistence forging, I don't see anything in Savas to lure people into one spot, and expect they would spread out evenly to forage better.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22