Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone have a fun custom world generation set of parameters to share?  (Read 1499 times)

upsetpanini1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been looking for some fun worlds to mess around in (megabeast-high, obviously!) but I wanna see what you guys do.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile

Permafrost!

It's not megabeast-high (it's got a fair amount of semimegabeasts, they play nice), since that fucks with civs, BUT!

1. Lots of necromancers.
2. Lots of goblins.
3. Dead dwarves. Almost always.
4. Diddly squat for metal.
5. Easy access to evil glaciers.

It may take a few tries to get a suitable world: necromancers destroy things a lot easier in v47, so you may be in tough luck if your humans don't want to survive world gen (or exist in the first place, or make necro towers, or all that jazz), and also you may not find a reanimating/thralling biome first try, since the world is pretty small. I think the seeds in there should give a pretty solid world, just be sure to turn them off of random. It's the best I can get without modding. Well, worst. If you'd like the authentic Permafrost experience, I suggest embarking somewhere with an aquifer, with only a copper nugget and an anvil. I can probably whip up a DFhack script for turning light aquifers into heavy aquifers (there's one that turns heavy to light, so it's only a line or two I'd need to change), though I think tiletypes should let you just create aquifers.

EDIT: Okay, so the terrain seed is fine, but you'll want to change the history seed: everything in the world dies just around year 100 from necromancers. Use the terrain seed, since it's annoying when the plains end up too small and get evil-ified, preventing humans, which also prevents necromancers. And then stop world gen when it gets somewhere that looks satisfactory, since I've got it set to 10k years currently.

Oh right. Do not ask why it is version 6.2 of Permafrost.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:50:02 pm by NordicNooob »

zodous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Permafrost!
Oh right. Do not ask why it is version 6.2 of Permafrost.

Why is it version 6.2? ???

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile

Because I have wasted exactly that much time making five previous versions (seven if you count 3.2 and 6.1). Each version tries to accomplish the same thing (hard af embark) but in a different way. I don't have all of them anymore (version 1, 4, and 5 were all failures, and version 2 was outclassed by 3), but they all had some major gig that made them their own take on Permafrost.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile

I tend to set savagery extremely high, make it so theres at least 1 each in large good and evil biomes, several megabeasts, around twice as many semimegabeasts, a similar amount of civilizations, and *massive* amounts of caves and volcanoes.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got one that's not custom generated, but is a lot of fun to play on. I've set up forts in a few places and each one was a lot of FUN all the way to the end.
My personal favorite is the small island at the bottom, the Island of Luxury. It's got a volcano and is completely covered with goblin pits.
If you embark on the volcano you'll find copper and iron. My game had dingoes everywhere.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15073
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile

Hey NordicNoob I tried to click on the link to pastebin, but it seems to have disappeared. Why is that?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile

Oh, that's odd.

Here is a new one. Also, I edited the original post to the new link, so that one should work again too.

Barring that, here's the param set just like... pasted here.
Spoiler: Permafrost (click to show/hide)