Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crazy angry religous dwarf problem  (Read 4536 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy angry religous dwarf problem
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 09:31:45 am »

Continuous downward flashing yellow arrow, while praying.
Again, if it's the only need?  permanently unfocused.  While trying to meet the need, continuously unfocused.
If praying is not a need, everything works perfectly, with respect to focus.  If any other need is there with praying, they will never pray.  If praying is the only need, they only pray, and never meet the need.
It doesn't matter the fort or circumstance, I've never seen a met need from a praying dwarf in 47.01, 02, 03 or 04.  Saw it work fine in previous versions.
Can you upload the fort you're referring to, to DFFD, which has a dwarf with a needs-met prayer?
Can you upload the fort in which you can't? Then report it as a bug. Your needs are stuck somehow.
Not sure what you mean by "the only need". I've never seen a dwarf with only one need.

Screenshots of a couple of dorfs in my 47.04 temple to the god Iskak.
They prayed, they're now unfettered and level-headed. One still has some other needs to meet and the other is OK for the moment.

I like how the one is unfettered after causing trouble and arguing, but upset about not being able to escalate to a real fight...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:38:01 am by Shonai_Dweller »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 10:55:14 am »

Ok, so I think I've narrowed down when and why this is happening.
It only happens when the dwarf doesn't have a specific named deity to pray to.
So, if they have a need to pray to a specific god, they can meet that need.  If a god is named in the need, everything works as expected.
If there is no god named in the need, it seems like it can't be satisfied, even at a temple that isn't to a specific deity.
I fixed it in my fort by applying a deity_id of 1 to the PrayOrMeditate need, and immediately the need was met.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 11:51:04 am »

So I have a dwarf who is 'He is in a constant state of internal rage.' and has about 30 Deities. I noticed he was getting stressed out so gave him a break.
But now he is sitting in one of the temples 'Worship!' all the time, to the point he can't seem to do much else.
This is in turn generating loads of 'He was frustrated after being unable to pray to XXX for too long' and not being able to socialize with others.
I feel like it is only a matter of time before he goes on a tantrum- any thoughts on what all I can do to sooth his rage? (Before he is exiled forever!)

Expel! Expel! Do not think, ACT!

To pray to 1 deity from strong need, it takes 1 month!
To lose entire satisfaction back into yellow color, takes only 1 season (1 season = 3 months).
If Dwarf has more deities then 2 and you notice something alike above, just send the Dwarf away.
V-select dwarf and then P-preferences. There is "e" button to expel. You need to press "enter" for confirmation, after selecting expel option.

To make sure all your Dwarves pray frequently (easier to fulfill then friends & family btw), put your booze stockpile in the shrine.
Dwarves will never miss a prayer satisfaction at least. Makes the red arrow cancer in fortress more manageable.
Because Dwarves now pray every time they drink, you do not need to put craft-workshops for mentally ill Dwarves inside shrine.
With automatic brewing/farming(this one is little hard to setup tbh), you do not need a huge booze stockpile either.

Any automation in fixing Dwarves' needs is in my book a win-win.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:53:39 am by Sarmatian123 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 12:07:41 pm »

It only happens when the dwarf doesn't have a specific named deity to pray to.

Is the dwarf praying to a Force? You may have an elf on your hands...
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 12:59:58 pm »

Ah, now that's interesting. You have some dwarves without any gods at all (modded presumably) with a need to pray? Can you post a picture of those thoughts? It just says "distracted after being unable to pray"?

I have a modded set of dwarves who don't have native gods. In 47.x several get to worship human gods and elf forces anyhow but many have no god at all. However none of them have ever shown a need to pray. And none of them ever go to the temple. That's expected behaviour. Not sure what you're seeing. When you see them in the temple, what are they doing?

Incidentally, a force works exactly the same as a god. It has a name and you can even build a temple for it.

Temples to "no specific deity" are for everyone to worship their own god at, not for athiests to hang around in screaming "I can't get no satisfaction!".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:03:38 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 02:01:04 pm »

Yep, it just says distracted after being unable to pray.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 07:43:38 pm »

Yep, it just says distracted after being unable to pray.
And no god listed in the thoughts at all?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 02:19:29 am »

To make sure all your Dwarves pray frequently (easier to fulfill then friends & family btw), put your booze stockpile in the shrine.

Thanks.  This is an absolutely brilliant idea I will try immediately.  It seems all dorfy solutions to problems that do not involve magma instead involve alcohol.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 10:44:40 am »

This seems quite relevant to the topic :

I'm seeing similar in 44.12, where dwarves will prey in a non-specific temple all day, every day, and still have unmet needs.

Fulfilling needs seems to be based on location rather than needs.

As an example, put a lever in your temple. Set your level to repeat pull. A dwarf will pull the lever and then realize they're in a temple so they'll begin to pray. Meanwhile the lever job is unfilled so another dwarf comes to pull the lever then starts to pray. So on and so forth.

Putting a location around your workshops or putting levers with repeat pull in a location is a great way to get your dwarves to do a lot of the location specific jobs.

However they still don't fulfill the needs properly. Despite half of the fortress praying/worshiping/meditating their religious needs are still not fulfilled.

Dwarves don't seem to seek out fulfilling needs either. Its not like Rimworld where a pawn will cancel jobs to fulfill a need. Rimworld pawns are very good at fulfilling needs because they prioritize it when they need it. Dwarves are haphazard at best at fulfilling needs. They just never seem to prioritize a need. If they do work on needs it seemingly at random or based on proximity, not what they actually need to do.

from https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10918

Since I have the same problem ( quite a few dwarves with lots of deities, I think I will try Lever + Booze.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 08:40:55 pm »

There are various temple bugs that are no doubt related.

But in this particular case it was dwarves who worship no gods at all (because bug? Mods?) who are distracted from not praying (because obviously they can't). Never seen anything like that outside of this thread though, despite often playing with a modded atheist civ.
Pages: 1 [2]