Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Elf Academy [Turn 8: A Good Thrashing]  (Read 15382 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Academy [Recruiting now!]
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 06:29:28 pm »

Name: Auric Argentum
Appearance: Their skin is a wonderful bronze, and their luxurious hair like unto gold. Their eyes shine like the most beautiful of pearls, and their armor - which they never seem to remove, oddly enough - is akin to the purest silver, and molded to display a positively sculpted physique. And with knife ears, of course, sharp enough to cut steel on.
Origin: Fake Nothing to see here, move along
Skills: Life, Metal, Robotics
Backstory: Just an elf that enjoys making constructs. Any kind, of course, be they servants or warriors or whatever in between.
Definitely not the first step in some worthless deity's bet to see if they can overthrow the elves without using other races. Absolutely not. Why would you think that?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 08:29:24 pm »

Add me if there's space left otherwise let someone else have the spot instead of me.
Name:  Eldrin Lairo
Appearance: A lanky tanned elf wearing a tan shirt under  green cloak and black pants with brown boots. His hair is long and tied back into a pony tail and grey almond shaped eyes . 
Origin: Select one of:Commoner
Skills: Earth(stability), Material (plant), Combat (Bow)
Backstory: A hunter who held reverence towards the lands, living near the edges of the woods. Pledging to protect the woods that provided him food and hunting in a responsible manner while harvesting what wild fruits and vegetables nature provided him. He traveled following tales of the elven academy to better serve the woods and his kind and perhaps make something better of himself.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:40 pm »

Name: Solanum Tuberosum
Apperance: About three foot six, with a red and green curly hat, red and green shirt, red and green pants, and red and green curly shoes.  Normal elf ears and modest brown hair.  He appears eight years old, but is really in his mid sixties.
Origin: Commoner
Skills: Joy (Particular), Toymaking (Precipitation), Fire (Precept)
Backstory: An escaped elf from the nightmare lands of ice and snow, where he was forced labor for the fat man.  Wants to do something, anything, else.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:13:44 pm by Devastator »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »

Turn 0: A Series Of Tubes

Elora Wildbeast (ziizo) is in!
Wylmir Wysendra (Xvareon) is in!
Celine Valeheart (Hotfire) is in!
Felidardinia Aslorvinaorvinia (ER) is in!
Solanum Tuberosum (Dev) is in!
Cieri Gardenplanter (Naturegirl) is in!
Aelfi Aelvenguard (TricMagic) is in!
Auric Argentum (Glass) is in!

Totally Not A Dwarf (The Canadian Kitten) has been added to the waitlist!
Alena Silvertouch (darkwarlock) has been added to the waitlist!
Aigre Aldora Ameiranafil (Aigre) has been added to the waitlist!
Eldrin Lairo (spazyak) has been added to the waitlist!

You and fifteen other elves are gathered in the central gate of the Academy, a vast cylindrical hall stretching up into nebulous lighting and bordered by giant arches in various colors and styles. In the very center stands the gate itself, a wispy column of swirling energies that can transport you both throughout the academy and to other parts of the city.

Also with you stands a giant hulking suit of mirror-like jet-black armor.

"I am Headmistress Irongilt," it rumbles in an ominous, echoing voice. "It is I who shall measure your fates and find you... wanting. Mwahahahaha!"

It wiggles its fingers excitedly as it says this, and it occurs to you that you're not actually sure if this is somebody's monster or if there's an elf in there.

"To graduate from this academy, you will need to, among other things, gain impressive credentials in at least two chosen classes- you know, Warlock, Necromancer, Death Knight... um... whatever non-evil people do for a living, you get the idea.

To start with, you'll have access to the Eight Arches, the centers for mastery and indulgence in Precepts at the Academy. To gain access to the Thousand Halls- where Particulars are studied- select and acquire credentials in two Precepts to embody this class, and thus serve as measures of your talent. Then you'll do the same with Particulars, then Precipitations, and thus have established enough competence to bother mentioning your credentials in one class!

This will also make it easier to classify any products made from your low, low-value corpse should you fail."

The behemoth claps its gauntlets together, producing an oddly musical sound.

"Now then, off to each Arch in order. There you'll meet your instructors in their proper environments, starting with Life, and they will inform you what must be done to gain a baseline credential in their Precept. Begone!"

It raises one hand into a snapping motion before pausing and staring at said gauntlet, as though remembering the last time it tried this trick and suffering doubts about a repeat. You take this opportunity to dash into the portal before it puppets your bones in there without you or summons demons who take you to the stewpot instead of the classroom. Also before your classmates steal all the best seats.

Arch of Life
Your first stop is the Arch of Life, a massive complex devoted to aspects of the Precept of Life- living things, growing things, healing, flesh vats, and so on. The central portal is an arch of vibrant green shoots and leaves which automatically shunts you to the appropriate classroom. Perhaps not surprisingly, it's made of plants.

Your professor sits splayed out on some grass, wobbling slightly. She's adorned in very bright, multicolored petals arranged in a crude and, on closer inspection, ever-shifting dress. Her hair appears to be made of vines, and her eyes are misted over with some kind of ever-changing iridescent sheen.

"Whoaaaaaaa, you all must be the stuuuuudents... Like, I'm Professor, uh... well, anyway, it's like, you know? The Precept of Life can be used for, like, all kinds of, like, life-stuff, you knoooooooow? But like, it can also be used for, like, really good drugs, you know? So like, you can get my, like, that thing you need if you bring me some, like, reeeeeeeeally good drugs, you know?"

She doesn't appear to do anything, but shortly after she finishes speaking the portal... well, just sucks you all back in. Apparently you're going somewhere else now.

Arch of Death
Your second stop looks a lot like a crypt, very tasteful. There's a sheet-white man in flowing crimson finery holding a glass goblet of red substance in one hand. His eyes glow an unnatural, hungry crimson.

"Ah yes... my honored guests have arrived. I am Professor Nightbane, at your service. Before we begin-"

His eyes glow impossibly bright, an all-encompassing glare that overwhelms every sense you have.

I AM NOT A VAMPIRE

"Now then," the not-vampire says in a very not-vampire tone, "To gain credentials in the Precept of Death, turn a hated foe into a shackled undead slave. You may need to create an enemy first; this is a common problem! Do not be discouraged! You will find much of being a truly superior being consists of handcrafting mortal nemeses to crush.

Also, if you murder your classmates you'll have a... well, a relatively valuable servant as well as remove a potential rival. Think about it!"

With that, you're sucked out of the not-vampire room to somewhere more vampire-y almost by definition.

Arch of Order
Your next classroom is pristine white trimmed with gold. A very prim-looking woman stands at perfect attention, her severe white hair pulled into a severe white bun. She glares at you all, even you, who hasn't even done anything yet!

"Professor Tulip Tinetone, current Arbiter of the Precept of Order," she introduces herself with a rather harsh tone. "This will not be a theoretical class. You will earn my commendations by cleansing the world of filth. That is all."

Back into the portal.

Arch of Chaos
The classroom of Chaos looks like some kind of melting wax fever dream. It's not even properly shaped; you'll all standing on an incline. A normal-looking elf in long flowing teal robes stares at you all, wide smile plastered on his face.

After a moment too long, he speaks. "Greetings! So nice to see so many healthy elves in here. This is good. Yes. To keep you healthy, I will give out commendations in Chaos for free. Have a nice day, and please consider nesting here when in doubt."

Off you go, though you float upwards a bit before being sucked back into the portal. Odd.

Arch of Fire
The room of fire looks like a forge of some kind, with grates over lava and heavy tools hanging from solid metal walls.

The professor is a wiry woman with unruly red-and-orange hair. "Ahahaha! There you wusses are! Oh this is gonna be SO fun! Irith Flamebane, or BY FAR the best elf here!

You want MY commendation, you're gonna have to melt lead. Not hard if you've got talent."

She shrugs apologetically with a smug grin on her face, then waves as you're sucked back through the portal.

Arch of Water
The Precept of Water's classroom is made of glass, and appropriately enough located underwater. A man with long blonde flowing hair and long light blue flowing finery leans against one such wall with a blue rose held between his teeth.

"Adorius Dewsong at your service," he says with a flourish and perfectly through the flower in his mouth. "To gain a commendation in this class requires being an attractive female and sleeping with your professor. If you have difficulty with that, not my problem. Off with you now, wear something nice on your way back."

Back through the portal. You wonder idly if that guy's a vampire.

Arch of Earth
The classroom of Earth appears to be made of gigantic fossilized bones.

"Aeran Skulldust," the grey-haired man in front sneers, dressed in practical yet elegant black clothing. "None of you are worthy to come here, but life is often imperfect. It is our duty to correct these flaws where they appear."

He glares appraisingly at each of you in turn. For sixteen elves, that's actually a fair amount of staring.

"If you wish to be known as a Practitioner of Earth, you will need to display great resilience. Applicants will be crushed in a cage of bone. Those that withstand these pressures will be recognized for their resolve. Those who fail will be put to good use by vermin. There is no need to speculate on the quality of those who avoid such a test; materials are considered trash until proven otherwise."

Arch of Air
The classroom of Air is... well, it's a box of clouds. Digging through the clouds reveals that yes, you're rather high up from the nearest visible ground.

"Hmph," the woman floating at the top of the room sneers. Her bright yellow locks float buoyantly just like she does. "What's that?" she asks smugly. "Can't fly? Hmph! That's what I thought... so sad, so sad! Ahahahahaha!"

She laughs smugly and rolls around in midair for about five solid minutes while you wonder if maybe there's something you can read, light on fire, or animate with demonic forces.

"Oh right, the credentials," she finally says, as though genuinely just remembering it. "Well obviously elves who can fly are waaaaaaay better than those who can't. Of course, I can't expect you poor souls to fly like I do. So... just levitate or something, and you'll have proven yourself better than the rest of these peasants here. No offense to any actual peasants down there, but you guys really should have been ground up for food."

Back through the portal you go.

Central Academy Gate
The Headmistress- or whatever the armor is- is still waiting when you return.

"Alright, that probably means you've met all your Precept Instructors and know what to do for each of them. Remember- two commendations and a class name. Then you get access to the upper levels and can pick Particulars to qualify yourselves in, then you get access to the highest levels and can do the same with Precipitations. Once you're rated in an entire class, we'll be able to judge your suitability for elven society or some kind of grinding mill appropriately."

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NPC Students (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Academy [Turn 0: A Series Of Tubes]
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 08:18:03 pm »

Auric goes straight back to the forge/fire place/whatever. Time to A. improve the fire so that it's hotter and B. convince the lead that I'll obviously be getting given that it should melt like ice or something.
And also improve my body so that I don't melt burn to ash. At least for the duration that I'm there.

The program curriculum shall be of fire and life - the hearth, mayhaps, if one were to give them a name of synchronicity. Earth may perhaps be useful, but it is truly metal in particular that Auric desires to be working with, none of those common soilstuffs. Oh, crystals might be pretty, but what use are they? Except for diamonds, of course; ah, that wonderful hardness. But no matter. Life-imbued metals will do quite nicely.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:53:03 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »

"Alright you shitty elves, I'm gonna need a rival to murder violently for glory, and if someone doesn't step up I'm gonna just pick someone."

If someone doesn't step up to be my rival, randomly pick one of the two Death-aligned students and claw a gash into their face, marking them my rival.

If possible in addition to the above, Life + Instinct, 10x, Grow some plants and shit into ten Spirits of Instinct to guard me and mangle the fuck out of anything that gets near me with thorn claws.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 08:34:24 pm »

Punch Arkaras the Harbinger in the face to start a fight with Him/Her, I need to practise with my Earth precept to ensure I can survive the Bone Cage and S/He is the only other person that seems to possess any melee combat skill so I can practise becoming tougher.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 08:47:39 pm »

Wylmir takes the Chaos and Water paths. First stop:  That elf in the comely teal robes for Chaos. Surely Chaos has a means to change the physical form into something more... palatable.

"Excuse me, sir?" he asks, smiling beatifically. "Thank you for this chance to be useful, one way or the other. But I think I need some help... Professor Dewsong for Water, he..." Wylmir awkwardly clasps an arm around his middle, "...has preferences I can't match, in order to earn his commendation. I need to learn a Polymorph spell. Can you help me?"

Also, if I have time, I want to look into that blue rose I saw Professor Dewsong with, and see if it's possible to get one for him. Maybe make a bouquet.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 10:35:12 pm »

"I think.. Earth would be best.  No crushing in the other place, and stone seems much better than everything of ice and snow."

"But.. what kinda class do I want to call myself?  Should be something new.  Hmm."

Well, first rule was that there was to be nothing pointy which could hurt the kiddos.. so lets make something pointy!

Visit the earth precept area, and go explore, looking for raw materials.  Do so with the passion to find a new life, using the precept of Fire, the particular of Metal, and the Precipitation of exploration or harvesting, whichever is more relevant.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:49:27 am by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 08:02:52 am »

Go back to the Life Precept portal and attempt t0 grow plants that produce hallucinogens

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2020, 08:47:42 am »

Ask Lyrica the Impassioned to have a chat for a bit, and get away from the crazies.

Plot to steal all their lifespan at once to turn them in preparation to turn them into a servant.

Code: (cast) [Select]
Spell of Status Immunity
Death/Time- Kill all status effects from others' against my person.

Spell of Drain Lifespan
Death/Time-Drain all remaining lifespan from a target and add it to your own.(Effects show as lack of aging, target dies on the spot if all is taken, later depending on remaining lifespan.)

Hotfire90

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 08:51:36 am »

Use the Air precept to make myself levitate, then head to the Air Arch and receive my credential for Air.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 01:32:34 am »

Turn 1: Go Hard Or Go Home

Auric goes straight back to the forge/fire place/whatever. Time to A. improve the fire so that it's hotter and B. convince the lead that I'll obviously be getting given that it should melt like ice or something.
And also improve my body so that I don't melt burn to ash. At least for the duration that I'm there.

The program curriculum shall be of fire and life - the hearth, mayhaps, if one were to give them a name of synchronicity. Earth may perhaps be useful, but it is truly metal in particular that Auric desires to be working with, none of those common soilstuffs. Oh, crystals might be pretty, but what use are they? Except for diamonds, of course; ah, that wonderful hardness. But no matter. Life-imbued metals will do quite nicely.
You hurl yourself back through the portal aiming for the Fire Arch's classroom, and come out stumbling. It seems like 'skipping' gates like that increases the force of exit, which is peculiar- normally routing through nodes in a system reduces throughput. Must be some quirk of the elven gate system... which you're intimately familiar with, being an elf an all.

You request a bar of lead, and the instructor grins, hefts one, and hurls it at you.

[6] It slams you square in the chest, leaving a nasty dent that you reflexively mend with Life and Metal. You start um... sprouting a bit, though, delicate silver shoots curling off your torso. You hope that's... not a problem.

The teacher starts laughing. "Nice dodge, nerd!"

+3 xp to Precept of Life, Particular of Metal
Now Slightly Sprouting
+1 Lead Bar

"Alright you shitty elves, I'm gonna need a rival to murder violently for glory, and if someone doesn't step up I'm gonna just pick someone."

If someone doesn't step up to be my rival, randomly pick one of the two Death-aligned students and claw a gash into their face, marking them my rival.

If possible in addition to the above, Life + Instinct, 10x, Grow some plants and shit into ten Spirits of Instinct to guard me and mangle the fuck out of anything that gets near me with thorn claws.

Ask Lyrica the Impassioned to have a chat for a bit, and get away from the crazies.

Plot to steal all their lifespan at once to turn them in preparation to turn them into a servant.

Code: (cast) [Select]
Spell of Status Immunity
Death/Time- Kill all status effects from others' against my person.

Spell of Drain Lifespan
Death/Time-Drain all remaining lifespan from a target and add it to your own.(Effects show as lack of aging, target dies on the spot if all is taken, later depending on remaining lifespan.)
(Low Para, High Aelfi: [4], high)
Lyrica appears to be falling asleep on her feet, so Aelfi just guides her, stumbling and swaying, away from the crowd so she can murder her and enslave her soul. Before she gets very far in that, however...

[2] Felidardinia brings a powerful swipe right past Aelfi's face, disturbing a strand of her hair.
[4] Never one to not suck an enemy dry, Aelfi opens her mouth and inhales something from the cat-elf.

Aelfi: +2 xp to Death, +1 xp to Time
Aelfi: +Borrowed Time: +1 to effective skill level of next action
Feli: +Lost Time: -1 to effective skill level of next action

Punch Arkaras the Harbinger in the face to start a fight with Him/Her, I need to practise with my Earth precept to ensure I can survive the Bone Cage and S/He is the only other person that seems to possess any melee combat skill so I can practise becoming tougher.
[2] You punch Arkaras the Harbinger in the face, by which you mean the chest, because that's what you can reach. Arkaras is freakishly tall and hulking, not a normal elf at all. Somehow hitting him goes poorly.

"AT LAST! YOUR BONES SHALL SPLINTER UNDER THE WEIGHT OF THE COMING STORM!" he shrieks at you gleefully.

[2] He repeats your mistake in reverse, swinging over your head and losing his balance. You're starting to think neither of you is very good at brawling.

Wylmir takes the Chaos and Water paths. First stop:  That elf in the comely teal robes for Chaos. Surely Chaos has a means to change the physical form into something more... palatable.

"Excuse me, sir?" he asks, smiling beatifically. "Thank you for this chance to be useful, one way or the other. But I think I need some help... Professor Dewsong for Water, he..." Wylmir awkwardly clasps an arm around his middle, "...has preferences I can't match, in order to earn his commendation. I need to learn a Polymorph spell. Can you help me?"

Also, if I have time, I want to look into that blue rose I saw Professor Dewsong with, and see if it's possible to get one for him. Maybe make a bouquet.
"Oh, of course!" he remarks sympathetically. "Living things must adapt frequently. Now, what you'll want to do..."

[4] You think you grasp the basic idea, but at your current skill level can only render yourself a little more feminine. Which for an elf isn't very noticeable. Still, you know what to do, you just need more power somehow...

[2] Also the professor coughs in your ears as he's teaching you the spell. So that's odd.

+1 xp to Chaos, Shapeshifting, Deception

"I think.. Earth would be best.  No crushing in the other place, and stone seems much better than everything of ice and snow."

"But.. what kinda class do I want to call myself?  Should be something new.  Hmm."

Well, first rule was that there was to be nothing pointy which could hurt the kiddos.. so lets make something pointy!

Visit the earth precept area, and go explore, looking for raw materials.  Do so with the passion to find a new life, using the precept of Fire, the particular of Metal, and the Precipitation of exploration or harvesting, whichever is more relevant.
[2] You find a warehouse filled with metal bars. The crab monster guarding it scoffs at your longing gaze.

"Get lost, peasant," it hisses.

Go back to the Life Precept portal and attempt t0 grow plants that produce hallucinogens
[3] You grow hallucinogenic flowers. Also poisonous. But they're pink! Still poisonous.

+1 xp to Life, Hallucinations, Gardening
+1 Mediocre Poisonous Hallucinogenic Flowers

Use the Air precept to make myself levitate, then head to the Air Arch and receive my credential for Air.
[2] You levitate and then bash yourself in the ground, which is fortunately soft and made of clouds. The professor laughs smugly for about ten solid minutes.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NPC Students (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Academy [Turn 1: Go Hard Or Go Home]
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 02:40:07 am »

"You call that a fucking hex!? I'll show you a fucking hex!"

Life, Reversal, Arguing: Use oral narration in the form of argumentation as a focus to reverse the spell's effect back onto the dipship death mage, but better, because I'm better, fuck you.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Academy [Turn 1: Go Hard Or Go Home]
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 03:44:34 am »

"Perfect!  It might not be a pointy weapon, but this crab monster could well be a great person inside."

Use Chaos, Joy, and Flattery to change the crab into someone happy.. who'll let me in and maybe teach me how to properly use armour.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:55:39 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9