Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Hades: Can't tell me what to do DAD. 1.0 Release.  (Read 8556 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I dunno why, I was hoping the main character was a girl.  I just sort of expected it, and when it was a guy, I was kinda bummed.  :-\

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno why, I was hoping the main character was a girl.  I just sort of expected it, and when it was a guy, I was kinda bummed.  :-\

My memory on this is fuzzy, but I don't think Hades ever had a daughter of clear lineage; there's Macaria whose paternity is contested depending on what source is used, and Melinoe who was born during a period where Zeus and Hades were possibly merged/facets/alternate versions/etc. of the same god. Zagreus' history is also pretty fuzzy, but they usually either elevate his position or merge him with other gods in later source material.

Having said that, messed up unclear lineages would make for some interesting dialogue possibilities.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile

Pretty clever, actually, to take a relatively minor figure from Greek mythology whose story is kind of nebulous and create their own story with it. I, for one, didn't even know Zagreus was a thing until I saw the game and looked him up to see if he was a real mythological figure.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Hades has more claim to "It's about family" than Star Wars does. Anyone who has ever tussled with their family or their father in particular or been caught in the middle of intra-family drama should find some resonance with Hades.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

look for that Megara alternate model in 2022...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

look for that Megara alternate model in 2022...

YAY!  After reading her bio, I thought it would quite entertaining.  The Goddess of Heaven trying to get back to Earth.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got to use the Adamant Rail last night. Generally in games like this guns are not my preference, melee is more satisfying. But man this thing is beast. The Cluster Bomb upgrade is hilarious. It put so much crap on the screen I actually lost because I literally couldn't keep track of what was happening with the near constant screen wide explosions.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Daedalus upgrades change the Adamant Rail A LOT. The shotgun upgrade is probably the speedrunner favorite. The cluster bomb thing is great, and the triple bomb and rocket bomb are great too. Lots of interesting stuff you can do there, but of course you kinda have to take the ones that will work with your god upgrades.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And by comparison.....I think the bow is trash. Unlike other weapons where you get like one Daedalus mod and a few boons and you're like "hey this thing is getting pretty cool", the Bow just seems to need practically everything to meet their level of effectiveness. The Special is weak and some Daedalus upgrades actually seem to make it even less useful. The power draw attack works for like the first two floors but once shit starts getting crazy your ability to deal damage with it that way is severely compromised because you can't stand still for more than a second. The Dash attack is finicky and only wants to activate like half the time you try to do it.

I eventually beat Hades with it but it took pretty much all my Death Defiance and, honestly, Festive Fog to do it. I think I ended up with the Demeter chill boon on the special which gave it just enough of a damage boost combined with shot speed that, between the chill and the multiple hits it was enough to spam. But definitely not a weapon I enjoy using.

I'd rank the weapons in terms of effectiveness and fun of use thusly:

-Fists
-Rail
-Shield
-Sword
-Spear
-Bow
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 04:54:14 pm by nenjin »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

And by comparison.....I think the bow is trash. Unlike other weapons where you get like one Daedalus mod and a few boons and you're like "hey this thing is getting pretty cool", the Bow just seems to need practically everything to meet their level of effectiveness. The Special is weak and some Daedalus upgrades actually seem to make it even less useful. The power draw attack works for like the first two floors but once shit starts getting crazy your ability to deal damage with it that way is severely compromised because you can't stand still for more than a second. The Dash attack is finicky and only wants to activate like half the time you try to do it.

I eventually beat Hades with it but it took pretty much all my Death Defiance and, honestly, Festive Fog to do it. I think I ended up with the Demeter chill boon on the special which gave it just enough of a damage boost combined with shot speed that, between the chill and the multiple hits it was enough to spam. But definitely not a weapon I enjoy using.

I'd rank the weapons in terms of effectiveness and fun of use thusly:

-Fists
-Rail
-Shield
-Sword
-Spear
-Bow

How can spear be so low? have you ever tried the tactic of charging its special and cancelling/setting it off with a dodge? 100% safe high damage wide aoe and when upgraded it deals stupid amounts of damage.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have two issues with the spear, which are basically my two issues with the Bow.

1. They have charge moves. Unlike the Shield, whose charge move covers your ass and puts you somewhere else on the screen afterward, and does massive damage, the bow and spear both leave you wide open. The Spear's charge is better than the Bow's but the problem remains. Covered in enemies and projectiles, the last thing I want to do is stand still.

2. I feel like they both need significant upgrades to make for a viable run. The Bow especially. Out of the box I feel like most of the other weapons, with just Divine Dash, you can win the game with in their current state. Might take a while but it's doable. But the Bow and Spear need upgrades to change how the weapon works so they don't suck to use, IMO. There's like, one Spear upgrade I've found, the rapid strike, that makes it pretty good. For the Bow, it took BOTH Dual Shot and Rapid Shot before its basic attack didn't become a liability.

They're just the two weapons that require the most upgrades so they feel as easy and spammable to use as the other weapons. I'm sure part of this is down to me, but precision single strikes do not seem to be what Hades' combat is about.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I do have to give the Bow credit where it's due. When you get in to Weapon Aspects, the one it has that lets you "load" Casts in to each shot allows you to do a truly irresponsible amount of damage. Combined with the Hermes mods that reduce how long casts stay stuck in guys, and the one that automatically retrieves your casts for you, and I probably had the easiest run so far of my time playing Hades.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Also note: Spear can get an upgrade that makes it detonate and reform in your hand when thrown instead of the usual fly-return style of things.

That upgrade pretty much singlehandedly got me my first win, and it was the cheesiest goddamn run I've ever experienced.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bow and Spear are both extremely good. My very first escape was with Bow.

The trick is that the secondary fire on the Bow is basically a shotgun at close range. It's very strong.

Alternatively you can do a bunch of upgrades to the make it seeking and stack a variety of good mods on that.

The spear is also very good, especially Hades aspect stacked high. Throw returns also count as backstabs on return generally (assuming monster is facing you).

I think both of them rely more heavily on their secondary modes and Daedalus upgrades, so theyre not as intuitive as other weapons. They also require good positioning/timing to get the most out of them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:47:11 pm by ZeroGravitas »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The big update dropped.

Almost 6 gigs in the update, but the patch notes mention improved audio so no doubt that makes up a big chunk of it. Tempted to give it a whirl now but I think I'll wait for my friend to check it out fresh. I'd pretty much ticked all the boxes I wanted to in the last build (didn't see much point to grinding out Pacts of Punishment since I already maxed out most aspects on weapons I thought were the best from all the Titan Blood and what not I'd been hoarding for dozens of runs. All my Darkness upgrades sans the most expensive were all done, all keepsakes unlocked and leveled. All non-cosmetic Contractor upgrades bought. Still had a lot more nectar to hand out but eh....), so it will be nice to go back and see some new stuff. I'm a little tempted to restart but I'm pretty sure my friend would blow his lid, so, we'll just progress from where we left off.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:15:37 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5