Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin sites causing/spreading an evil corruption?  (Read 2794 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Goblin sites causing/spreading an evil corruption?
« on: May 14, 2020, 09:21:11 pm »

Anyone know what's actually happening here?

When goblins settle new sites in worldgen, sometimes they seem to actively spread a 'miasma' or evil biome coloring.  At least with ascii they do.

Is it actually a corruption of the world?  Does it reflect as evil when you go to the location?  Do animals corrupt, and can undead/rains/clouds/resurrction happen in these formerly neutral/good areas?

Do we know the mechanics behind it?  Can it be controlled via tags?  Can it happen after worldgen ends?

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

You can see a completely neutral sea corrupted in a relatively large area by the goblin citadel located out on the peninsula.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:23:53 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin sites causing/spreading an evil corruption?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:59:07 pm »

47.01 addition.
Necromancer towers and dark fortresses lead by one or two specific types of demon (I forget the exact spheres) will spread evil.

The area is a regular evil area, maybe with some difference in plant life depending on the sphere of the demon (and it will feature bogeymen if the demon is a nightmare sphere).

It won't spread to your fortress square, but will happen (albeit very slowly) outside while you play, apparently.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:01:43 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:17:32 am »

Gotta admit, thats fairly neat, so long as it doesnt spread to everywhere ever eventually.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:32:48 am »

Gotta admit, thats fairly neat, so long as it doesnt spread to everywhere ever eventually.
It does... The spread from each site is probably limited to a range of 3 tiles, but necros erect new towers all the time, so eventually they'll take over the world. It's possible there might be some patches that are not evil when all sapients have been "converted" though. Toady is aware that the necro take over is inevitable and that it needs more counter balances, eventually.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:04:23 am »

Yeah, the actual evil is triggered by large numbers of wild zombie populations around the tower as far as I recall (they're not all just stuck in the tower any more). That limits how far the evil from one particular tower can spread. Evil also fades given a lack of activity, according to the devlog.

But, necros will eventually take over most worlds right now given 6-7 hundred years. They get a "zombie-apocalypse" attack pattern in which they hit a town and move right on to the next one instead of going home (like, say, goblins would) for example.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:06:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:21 am »

I've also seen both goblins and towers pushed back and change color in 0.47.0x.  Also, the case where a tower evil spreads and then the spread collapses back to nothing, but the tower remains.
In some cases, I've seen purple I towers change to white I towers, and the goblin civ spread pushed back and all the goblins killed off (so there are zero goblins in the world).
But it certainly doesn't happen frequently.  If you have goblin civs not led by (any or a lot of) demons, it seems to increase the chances they'll be pushed back and/or conquered.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:28 pm »

Yes, it happens a lot that necro towers are defeated, but new ones spring up twice as fast, and I believe I've seen defeated ones getting "turned back on" during world gen occasionally. I've seen evil spread shrink occasionally, but most of the time the spread just halts when the tower is defeated, with no visible shrinking over a hundred years or so.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 06:05:30 pm »

Okay, so what Im hearing is this:

PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:48:05 pm »

I cannot be 100 percent sure, but I think elves might also be spreading woodland, though on a much smaller scale.

Didnt toady mention he wanted humans to do extensive logging too?  would that be implemented?
PKs DF Mod!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 04:49:37 pm »

I cannot be 100 percent sure, but I think elves might also be spreading woodland, though on a much smaller scale.

Didnt toady mention he wanted humans to do extensive logging too?  would that be implemented?
Pretty sure neither are a thing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 06:05:29 pm »

Pretty sure neither are a thing.
Yes, both of these would change region boundaries, and the current format isn't really set up for that (although it's would not be that hard to implement gradual biome parameter changes that would eventually tip world tiles from one biome type to another, forcing them to either move to an adjacent region, or form their own region). I suspect the current region concept will be replaced by a system that's more easily subjected to manipulation as part of the map rewrite.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 08:26:15 pm »

In my epic bridge fort, I had the biome switch from dead to forest a few years into the fortress. I think it had to do with a near by necromancer tower being conquered.

It was pretty cool to see the grass turn from brown to green and then tree seedlings appeared.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 09:24:43 pm »

In my epic bridge fort, I had the biome switch from dead to forest a few years into the fortress. I think it had to do with a near by necromancer tower being conquered.

It was pretty cool to see the grass turn from brown to green and then tree seedlings appeared.
Isn't that just part of the forest growing bug that's unique to any area a player is currently playing their fortress in?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9581

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 09:39:32 pm »

Isn't that just part of the forest growing bug that's unique to any area a player is currently playing their fortress in?

I don't think so, or at least it's not as described in that bug report. The world map tile color changed in addition to the grass suddenly springing back to life.

However, I've been very disappointed that while it snows every night in adventurer mode, the weather and temperature appear constant year-round in fortress mode. No seasonal ice in any of my "cold" or "temperate" biomes :-\ .

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 09:52:32 pm »

I don't think so, or at least it's not as described in that bug report. The world map tile color changed in addition to the grass suddenly springing back to life.

However, I've been very disappointed that while it snows every night in adventurer mode, the weather and temperature appear constant year-round in fortress mode. No seasonal ice in any of my "cold" or "temperate" biomes :-\ .
Very strange. Rivers freeze and snow falls in the winter in pretty much all my fortresses. Although there's no day and night in Fortress mode.
Pages: [1] 2