Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broker in retired fortress wont trade with me  (Read 1893 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broker in retired fortress wont trade with me
« on: May 15, 2020, 07:41:10 am »

He keeps saying: You should try a shopkeeper. I'm visiting my old fortress to see if I can buy some of the goods. I prefer not to steal. But the broker is broken en wont trade!
What are the requerements for a broker in one's retired fortress to be willing to trade?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broker in retired fortress wont trade with me
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:18:11 am »

I doubt it can be done.

Trade can only be done at marketplaces that are recognized as such. Normally all citizens standing there can be traded with. However the marketplace of player fortresses is not recognized.

As far as I know it is impossible to find a shopkeeper for goods that are on other locations. I never managed to buy a cabinet or other wares that were on sale in the deeper underground rooms.

If you pick up goods and drop them on another place, they will lose the sale tag after a night sleep.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:35:32 am »

Ok. guess I have to barter with other archers to get my arrows

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:26:04 am »

Ammo is often stored in throne rooms. It can be picked up without consequences there.
Trying an adventurer archer? Try shooting from beyond vision range. First sneak around so you know where your enemy is and then move away from it. Sometimes it is possible to kill creatures without them even knowing where you are. This helps a lot with long reload times.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:18:32 am »

Great advise, thanks! ooit

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 06:12:13 pm »

In generated (non-player) dwarf forts, you can only trade with a dwarf standing at the trade depot - you can trade with any dwarf (not just the broker) for the goods that are in the depot, but you can't trade anywhere else or buy anything else.

I'd guess that, if trading at player forts works anything like the above, you'd need to stock your trade depot with whatever you wanted to buy before retiring, then find a dwarf at the depot and trade with them.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:35:37 pm »

if you want to roleplay purchasing stuff from the broker, grab whatever you want from wherever you find it, then use the exchange personal items screen to "gift" it to them and then the same screen to buy it back.  pretty sure this clears the $tags$, and clears your conscience since you paid/traded for it (and even if it doesn't clear the $tags$, then with clear conscience you can head out into the wild for a few days to clear the $tags$ that way)

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:00:31 am »

Might have to with the homeless bug too. I barge into the room of the sleeping dwarf to ask questions about the nearby areas/ site and they tell me to ask them again when they are home. Either player fort doesn't count as a fort or they are REALLY depressed.