Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fight for the Woods - a Fairy Tale Arms Race  (Read 1722 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Fight for the Woods - a Fairy Tale Arms Race
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:53:31 pm »

Fight For the Woods - a Fairy Tale Arms Race

This is an asymmetric arms race that I'll largely be pulling from Grimm's fairy tale style stories (as well as The School For Good and Evil and some other influences)

In the Kingdom of Camelot, Fairy Tale creatures are illegal. Those who generate the kingdom's wealth are enslaved and put to work in sweatshops, while the "unviable" Tales are to be exterminated. Of course, politics being what they are, and half the kingdom's GDP coming from magical practices run by fairy tale folk, this was a contentious decision. However, the initial uprising was rather brutally crushed, and the new Lord Inquisitor Rafal headed up a task force to root out the remaining Fairy Tales.

Meanwhile, the remaining Tales have gathered under the leadership of a charismatic wizard, and are gathering to eradicate the Lord Inquisitor, the architect of this new policy. As the kingdom quakes in the throes of the societal shift, who will write the storybooks of history, and rule over Camelot?

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn Structure (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: People (click to show/hide)

The divisive nature of Lord Inquisitor Rafal’s decree has sparked division within the community of Tales - heroes and villains have chosen sides, and now princes argue with their brothers, pirate captains fight off mutiny within their crews. A time of turmoil beyond good and evil has come.

Preliminary Turns:

During the change in power, each faction lashed out with all their might, fighting for control over the kingdom. How did your side react in these initial months of fighting?

Discord: https://discord.gg/XUuvhBUSFM
Tales: Thread
Bookbinders: Thread
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:47:14 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for the Woods - a Fairy Tale Arms Race
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:58:52 pm »

Bookbinderman yis

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 01:59:25 pm »

The School For Good and Evil
Oh hey, I remember those books.
I'm not sure if I ever read the third one, but whatever.

I'm assuming that the fights are likely to be more in line with XCOM 2 feel than typical AR?

I'm thinking I may do Tales.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:00:48 pm »

The School For Good and Evil
Oh hey, I remember those books.
I'm not sure if I ever read the third one, but whatever.

I'm assuming that the fights are likely to be more in line with XCOM 2 feel than typical AR?

I'm thinking I may do Tales.
Yes, I've cribbed XCOM2's turn structure mostly. The series is about to release it's sixth and final book, I'm quite hype.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:02:11 pm »

sixth and final book
:|
I didn't realize there were more than three books

Well ok then I guess.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 02:24:06 pm »

Tales for me.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 02:27:17 pm »

I’ll be the b a d d i e s, at the whim of the dice

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 02:32:49 pm »

tales
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 05:32:45 pm »

Suppose I should declare my allegiance to Tales

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 04:15:28 pm »

Turn in progress.

Upcoming, [Plans changed]. You will also work on deciding where to base your forces. The Bookbinders can go anywhere except the Ruined Estate, while the Tales can go anywhere except the Ruined Estate and Camelot.

Don't worry about picking the same country - you'll start far enough apart to not notice each other, and there won't be negative mechanical impacts.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 04:20:49 am by Doomblade187 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 04:22:50 pm »

Posting to say I'm on tales and also to make this show up in new replies.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 03:53:00 am »

Design/Recruit/Revise

Design: You get one design action this phase to design new gear to allow new tactics, improve surveillance, or counter specific strategies.
Recruit: You get one recruit action this phase to recruit new units to your cause. This does not purchase them, merely allows you to purchase them in the movement phase.
Revision: You get one revision action this phase to recruit soldiers related to a current group, or modify your gear to allow new tactics, improve surveillance, or counter specific strategies.

Upcoming: in the next phase, you will purchase and move troops from your base to perform an action.

Resources, Squads, and Equipment:

Beings resource count is increased by improving your popular support. These recruit units.
Materials resource count is increased by acquiring further material support for your faction. These pay for gear.

To form a squad, you have to purchase the units needed first. This is done in the movement phase. You can only purchase units you have already made contact with, through the Recruit action. Units are persistent. Each population has a resource cost (Beings) to purchase a group of units. A squad can be made up of any composition and number of units, but some may work better in teams.

Squads can be given equipment, which is designed through a design action. Each piece of equipment has a set Materials cost, and must be purchased in the movement phase. Equipment is persistent. A squad can carry any assortment of equipment, though overburdening a squad will result in improvised pack animals to comedic effect.

Tales start with 3 Beings and 2 Materials.
Bookbinders start with 2 Beings and 3 Materials.
A recruitment bonus gives +1 Beings resource to recruiting units from that kingdom.

Important Note: Even if both sides place their base in the same kingdom, there will be no mechanical impact on surveillance/movement. You're assumed to set up on opposite sides of the kingdom, and they're pretty big.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:05:52 am by Doomblade187 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 11:04:05 am »

Design Credit: Make a Character Unit

Character Units are one-off units with reduced difficulty and increased power. (They don't have to be one entity, either. You could do a coven of witches, or a band of Merry Men.)

The wounds system: each character has X wounds. One is lost whenever they would otherwise fall in combat. (Characters will often retreat without losing any wounds.) They then have a one turn cycle downtime before being able to redeploy. You can design units or equipment to heal wounds on Characters, other than your leader. You can also design units or equipment to remove the 1 cycle downtime, though these designs won't be able to heal wounds.

The death of a Character is a blow to all. It's very likely that a new Character will emerge in the aftermath of such a loss.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:07:37 am by Doomblade187 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 11:43:32 am »

RULES CLARIFICATION:

It is the Tales Revision Phase
It is the Bookbinders Design Phase

Because I fucked it up, you each also get a free revision right now.

Friendly reminder that these actions take effect next turn - your troops are already deployed.

Additionally, there's actually no point in waiting to finalize battle plans, so go ahead and vote on tactics while you're at it.

Edit: New Discord is here
https://discord.gg/XUuvhBUSFM
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:46:43 pm by Doomblade187 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fight for the Woods - Raid Phase 1
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 08:20:30 pm »

Raid Phase 1

Avalon

The armory in Avalon is a place of beauty. Each wall is decorated with vivid tapestries of valorous knights and their tales - Chaddick’s Last Stand at the Lake, Arthur Pulling the Sword, and King Artri’s Coronation - all rendered in fine thread and illuminated with shimmering strands of crystal. The light in the room comes from a finely cast silver chandelier hanging from glistening glass chain links, and the warm, comforting light emanates softly from the iridescent crystals from Gillikin. Each weapon has its own well-finished and oiled wooden stand, and the room is complete with immaculate maintenance benches.

Sir Adelaide was walking through the hall, lost in thought. He had always been a loyal servant to the king, and while he was troubled sometimes by Rafal’s radical policies, he himself had risen from a lowly peasant into the knights, and he wondered sometimes if things should be more… equitable. A quiet meow broke him from his thoughts. Unusual, given the castle's strong aura of magic, remaining from when it housed the lady of the lake. They didn't keep pets, did they?

Following the noise down the hall, Adelaide opened the door and found himself in the armory, the gleaming white halls opening up into the wondrous hall of war that was the heart of the knights. What was a cat doing here? There were no vermin in the Lady’s castle, perhaps it was a rebel spy? He furrowed his finely groomed brows and set to searching. He was a quarter of the way through the room, his soft tunic brushing against the marble floor, when he heard a bell to his right. Drawing his dagger, he reached for the sword stand, yanked it to the side, and shouted "found you!"

But nothing was there.

A moment later, after a cacophony of alarm bells and wires had rung, Sir Adelaide found himself under a weighted net, with a kobold pick in his face. "What's going on!?" He shouted, as guards began to rush into the room. The kobold just stared back at him, eyes gleaming. "Found the thief."

Adelaide scoffed in return, and sternly replied "My good soldier, I am a loyal servant of king Arthos. I would never betray him or his generals in such a manner."

The kobold shrugged, and stepped back as the Avalon guard swarmed into the room. "He's right here, we caught him red-handed," he shouted, intermingling with shouts of alarm and demands for identification.

Borna Coric

The squad of bookbinders marched down the road, insignia shining bright in the evening mountain sun. They seemed unaware of their surroundings, as if walking through a dream, unaware of the danger at hand. All of a sudden, a commotion arose from the next street over, and the squad fluidly moved to intercept. When they arrived, they saw a crowd of people surrounding a merchant. The portly man was on the ground next to an overturned cart, shaking in fear and relief. “What’s going on here?” asked the lead guard, a kobold by the name of Gavin.

A bystander piped up, “That cart there nearly killed this man! It’s a good thing the knight saved him.”

The squad looked around briefly, but there was no sign of anyone knightly in status on the cloud road. “And where would this knight be, citizen?” asked Gavin.

“Why, he left that way.” the bystander replied, pointing up the street before helping the merchant up. “You should be able to find him easily, though, he’s a bear.”

An unnamed bear who was also a knight? Unusual, and just the kind of person to barrel through several tripwires in a cramped tunnel in defiance of Rafal. Gavin issued orders quickly, setting his squad to a wide sweep of the city, and whistled twice. They would find this knight, and put him to questioning before the night had risen.

Hours later, the squad had come up empty handed. Countless leads and recountings of sightings by helpful citizens, but no sign of a bear, let alone a knightly bear. They had plenty of information, but none of it made sense. His name was “Sir Bearington”, he wore a light green tunic, he had saved no fewer than two people from cart accidents today, and he had apparently rescued a lost child from a dragon last year, floor-side. Someone even said that he had ventured into the Caves of Contempo and emerged with a lost relic of Merlin. But one piece of information stuck out to Gavin: his watchers in the shadows had seen some movement along the vines, unusual movement. Maybe there was yet a string to tug on.

That evening, the bookbinder search party walked quietly through the fluffy cumulonimbus walls of an alley, on their way back to the rendezvous point. They had seen little on their walk other than a few petty thieves, and they were tired of the patrol, the dark earth above them weighing on their minds. The rendezvous point was near a beanstalk up from the surface, with glowing firefly lanterns illuminating the wide square. As they entered the square, a large shadow moved on the other side, a massive outline in fine clothes and leather.

“It’s him!” Cried the lead soldier, and the chase was on, the adrenaline of the Bookbinder patrol pumping as they ran after the bear knight. The chase led them through several narrow alleys, past several stacks of toppled-over crates, and even past All-Night Pies, some of the soldiers hesitating at the delightful scent of baked goods. But before long, they had lost the trail, the bear seemingly having disappeared off the face of the night sky.

Elsewhere, a man with long dirty blonde hair sat in a dim bar, looking out the window over the world below, eyes catching on the dark spire of the castle reaching up to touch the upper/lower clouds. He slid another coin to the bartender, and the gnome hopped off the stool to pour him another beer. The bar was crowded, and the chatter made for a gentle hum to drown out any individual words. The patrons around him were natives, and while he himself was dressing the part, he was nowhere near acclimated to Borna Coric’s unique arrangement of earth and sea. His compatriots kept saying “you look down too much” but he couldn’t for the life of him tell whether they meant he was looking at the skysea or the earth. Regardless, he had a job to do. Leaving the bar and walking into the cool night sky, he walked along the fluffy cumulus-floored alley and crossed a thick beanstalk towards the sidestreet where he was needed next. He was just stepping off the vine when three men, dressed in plain clothes and wielding iron cudgels, stepped out and surrounded him. Everything went black.

Jaunt Jolie

The Sea Ferret’s Rag
BOOKBINDERS RAID POPULAR TEA BAR

Bookbinders were spotted entering the popular tea bar “Teatime” in search of rebels against the crown. Our reporter attempted to question the leader of the Bookbinders, a large Troll named Grenda, but was simply put to the side and ignored. More to follow next issue.

Kingdom Kyrgios

The Royal Rot
CORRUPT CAMELOT EXTORTS HONEST MERCHANTS

Shazabah Scrolls and Fancies owner Amr was arrested by Rafal’s Bookbinders on fraudulent charges of tax evasion today, and his assets seized to “Repay debts to the Kingdom.” Meanwhile, extensive renovations are underway in Kyrgios and Camelot alike. Where’s the money really going? To Rafal’s hand-picked “Charities”, of course...
Pages: [1] 2