Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Fight for the Woods - Tales United  (Read 6979 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for the Woods - Tales United
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2020, 03:24:26 pm »

Quote from: Casing the Joint
Recruitment & Purchase
- 50 Disgruntled Tales (-1 Bodies)
- 15 Kitsune (-2 bodies, Free recruitment bonus)
- 20 sets of Skirmisher Gear (-1 Materials) - Even split between bows and shield/spear, with whatever sidearm the individual finds most comfortable (dwarves being likely to pick axes, heroic bandits probably going for shortswords, and so on)
- 5 Hereditary Weapons (-1 Materials) - Five of the pickaxes used by the Seven Dwarves, they embody their previous owners' love for wealth and beauty

Deployment
1. Jaunt Jollie
- 5 Kitsune
- 10 Disgruntled Tales
There's nothing quite like angry pirates to cause disruption, so the team is tasked with contacting the owners of the impounded ships and determining what exactly is stopping us from getting them out of the bay. They shouldn't try to spring them yet, unless the job ends up being ridiculously easy.

2. Borna Coric
- 5 Kitsune
- 5 Disgruntled Tales
Case the Black Knight's tomb, to determine how difficult it would be to reclaim the Green Knight's Inheritence.

3. Avalon
- 5 Kitsune
- Cheshire Cat

~The Knights in Avalon we know,
Are resisting authority so,
With care and attention,
We will aid in their mission,
And thus the Bookbinders will go.~

Work out what's going with the knights, and see if we can't stick a wedge in that gap between them and the Bookbinders.

Reserves
- Green Knight
- 35 Digruntled Tales (10 with Skirmisher Gear, 5 with Dwarven Pickaxes)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2020, 04:17:51 pm »

I would say no, no, and no again to that plan setup.

For the first, not much wrong with it, if not for the fact they have no gear whatsoever.

For the second? How do we even get into the tomb in the first place. I'd rather Osakabehime be made who can then use her divination to case the joint far more effectively.

3rd, Avalon. They aren't openly resisting yet. Though that is mostly liking my rhymes better.

Now to fourth. What will picks that boost 'love of wealth and beauty; do? Likewise, only 10 sets of skirmish gear is assigned. Which leads to a another point... HOW are they going to get anywhere in time to solve a bad job when the other jobs aren't exactly filled to the brim with fighters.

Not a single point of that plan gives us anything other than prep work. And only the third is likely to go super well. So we'd be going into next turn with no rewards or advancements, most likely, barring Avalon.

More Materials, rather than Beings, are needed to outfit who we already have. And I really have no clue how those picks even correlate to any operation. Overall, it is not exactly useful. Do you expect us to DIE turn 1 from them finding and trashing our hideout? Cause Doomblade already said that is lategame, they won't find us that easily.

That and having to reinforce an area with troops during the raid phase runs the risk of being noticed in the first place. And once again, getting there too late to matter.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2020, 04:24:45 pm »

For the record, your rhymes would do about the same thing.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2020, 04:32:30 pm »

Disgruntled Tales are explicitly called out as having gear in their description.

Our Kitsune can shape shift, and have illusion and trickery powers. It's not hard to imagine that they'll use those to distract guards, sneak psst pistols, etc.

So you think pickaxes that were used to mine gold and gems, and protect those their owner cared about, would not be good for finding wealth (Material) and be good in combat?

This plan isn't supposed to cause a massive fight this turn. Our Yokai affinity gives us Intel, and knowledge wins the war (something something Sun Tzu). The fact that we can apparently get troops across the country in time to interfere with a fight at all suggests that they can do it, and shaoeshifting trickster are gonna be real heard to pin down before reinforcements arrive.

The fact that doomblade explicitly recommended we run Intel first on high-security jobs is why I've pushed for it on the first two missions. This will let us hammer home some big hits early, and the Bookbinders admitted in Discord that they don't know what to design to deal with us yet, cos they haven't seen our units. Depending on how much OpSec there is in turn reports, if we can preserve that feeling of misdirection whilst we focus our actions further, then all the better.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2020, 04:44:40 pm »

Quote from: Casing the Joint
Recruitment & Purchase
- 50 Disgruntled Tales (-1 Bodies)
- 15 Kitsune (-2 bodies, Free recruitment bonus)
- 20 sets of Skirmisher Gear (-1 Materials) - Even split between bows and shield/spear, with whatever sidearm the individual finds most comfortable (dwarves being likely to pick axes, heroic bandits probably going for shortswords, and so on)
- 5 Hereditary Weapons (-1 Materials) - Five of the pickaxes used by the Seven Dwarves, they embody their previous owners' love for wealth and beauty

Deployment
1. Jaunt Jollie
- 5 Kitsune
- 10 Disgruntled Tales
There's nothing quite like angry pirates to cause disruption, so the team is tasked with contacting the owners of the impounded ships and determining what exactly is stopping us from getting them out of the bay. They shouldn't try to spring them yet, unless the job ends up being ridiculously easy.

2. Borna Coric
- 5 Kitsune
- 5 Disgruntled Tales
Case the Black Knight's tomb, to determine how difficult it would be to reclaim the Green Knight's Inheritence.

3. Avalon
- 5 Kitsune
- Cheshire Cat

With care and attention,

Work out what's going with the knights, and see if we can't stick a wedge in that gap between them and the Bookbinders.

Reserves
- Green Knight
- 35 Digruntled Tales (10 with Skirmisher Gear, 5 with Dwarven Pickaxes)

10 SG, 5 DP. What happened to the rest of the SG? You buy it, but don't deploy it.

As well. DP is assigned to Reserve units, and no operations involve wealth directly. So not useful.

My plan isn't to start a fight either. Ideally they will never notice the foxes illusions, and the Disgruntled Tales are the base unit.

For Intel, do you really think it will be that easy to get good intel on a tomb? I'd rather wait for Osakabehime so we can use her Divination. And maybe Lucky heritage items on Kitsune.

I don't think Reserves at home are going to help at all with your plan.

Quote from: Votebox
Trickery, Guile, & Gold: (1) TricMagic
Casing the Joint: ()

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:37:14 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2020, 05:46:26 pm »

Quote from: Osakabehime
Osakabehime

Jack the Third, with torch in hand, walked through the halls of the mysterious old castle. There where... a lot of those, around here, he'd found. After his... largely accidental success in bringing in the Kitsunes, he had been sent to recruit yet another particularly elusive 'Yokai'. From what he'd heard though, it's not that nobody knew where she was, it was that nobody could find her when they went there. And so, he wandered through dusty secret passages that looked as though they had not been walked by a single soul in decades, let alone years. Continuing to ramble in his mind, Jack walked yet further, not noticing the pair of bright eyes gazing out at him from the space behind a missing brick.

'Really...' Jack thought to himself. 'I don't think anything is here, let alone some kind of princess.'

And at that moment, his torch went out, and Jack suddenly found his body moving all on its own...

When Jack the Third came to, he found himself on the ground, unable to lift himself from his groveling position, he looked around.

"Finally awake are you peasant?" A feminine voice regarded him. He looked up, to see a beautiful young woman, sat upon a velvet cushioned stool.

"Are you... Osa... Osoka..." He attempted to ask, struggling his way through the foreign name.

Her composure cracks ever so briefly as the woman winces at the mangling of her name."Y-yes, Osakabehime, that is me. Why have you come to my castle, peasant?"

Jack didn't fight, and most importantly, he didn't show fear. You don't live to his age in these woods without knowing how the Tales worked. "We need your help, against the Bookbinders-"

"The who?" The castle princess asked.

Jack gaped, dumbfounded "Y-you haven't heard of them?"

"Why should I care about some group of rowdy peasants, hmm?"

"They, they've taken over the whole kingdom of Camelot, the nearby kingdoms too! They lock away Heroes and Villains alike, and every non-human they catch is either enslaved, or-or killed." He explained, trying to let as little worry slip into his words as he could.

Osakabehime turned her head up at his words "hmmph, preposterous! You expect me to believe that a human army, with no great Hero or Villain at its head, has conquered all of the Woods?"

"It's true! And, and if they know you're still here, they'll absolutely come for you too!"

And then the woman paused. She could tell that the man was speaking the truth, or at least, what he believed to be the truth. The question is, was it actually true?

"I will verify the truth of your statements. Until then you are not allowed to leave this room. Do you hear me."

"Y-yes, your highness... C-could I at least stand up though."

She sighed, waving her hand up and down as she turned away from him to gaze into a basin of water on the other side of the stool she had been sat upon. "Fine fine, you may stand."

And at those words, it felt like an invisible weight had been lifted off of Jacks body, and he rose to his feet, rubbing the back of his neck.

With the strange woman having forbidden him from leaving the room until her decision was made, Jack had taken to observing his surroundings. He wasn't that familiar with it himself, but... he had to admit, the lady seemed to have quite the thing for the arts. Or rather arts of famous, and infamous, local figures. Between the paintings, the miniature sculptures, the books... in fact, he was pretty sure the ink in some of these books looked fresh!
...Normally he wouldn't be one to look through somebody else's things. But just this once, Jack let his curiosity get the better of him, and so he started to read.

"Hmmph, I see you've taken an interest in some of my works, peasant!" The legendary Yokai said.

Jack nodded. "It's real well written, although..."

"Well, spit it out peasant! What criticism do you possibly have of my work?" Questioned Osakabehime.

"Well I'm pretty sure King Arthur isn't a woman..."

"I-its called artistic license y-you uncultured f-fool!" She stammered out, briefly turning his direction before busying herself once again with the basin.

"Uh, o-okay then." Jack said, putting that book down and moving to another. This one had a distinctly more detailed cover, it depicted what looked to be the black knight, crossing swords with a blonde haired woman in an armored blue dress. "Blade... Crossed... Lovers?"

And then he was tackled to the ground by a furiously blushing Yokai "D-DON'T TOUCH THAT!"

Osakabehime, the lady of the walls. Her tastes in art(of all forms) aside, she is an exceptionally powerful, and even more so reclusive Yokai of old. Stories tell of when this castle was still inhabited, she would reveal herself only once a year, and only to the lord of the castle, to tell his fortune. Many had wondered what became of her in the time between appearances. Apparently, she spent her time writing stories and collecting art of various great Heroes, Villains, and Monsters of legend. Recently, she appears to have taken a particular liking to King Arthur.

While the tales where correct about Osakabehime's power, well mostly, after all, those who look at her face do not drop over dead on the spot as the stories claimed, they missed potentially the most important detail. She is only powerful within her domain. When residing within the secret rooms and passageways of the castle, she can gaze into the truth of ones very soul and puppet their bodies with ease, and the castle itself bends to her whims. When she enters the main halls of the castle, she can determine truth from lies and force ones limbs to move against their will, and walls will form and fall where she chooses. Outside of the castle entirely? We do not know for ourselves, but we highly doubt she would get more powerful.

This also applies to her divinations. She can see the inside of the castle an entire year ahead, though often misses very temporary details. But divining the area outside of her castle is much more difficult. Able to see short glimpses of the near future and present. While this should provide quite the boon to our planning, it is far from grand prophecies we had hoped for. Indeed, it seems the thing we are likely to receive the greatest boon from is the messenger spirits that obey her every command. Small, ethereal winged foxes(or perhaps they are bats? They do not possess legs, yet none have seen a bat of such size and shape before), capable of both speech and flying great distances. These spirits will allow us to send messages all across the woods, as well as for her to communicate with us, and us with her.

There is one simple catch, Osakabehime does not leave her castle. Indeed, it is night impossible to convince her to leave her own room, let alone the castle. While one would assume that this is because it weakens her powers, she herself has declared that it is because she is, in her own terms, an 'artistic NEET hikikomori'. In fact, she takes great pride in this, refusing face-to-face social interaction and 'dedicating herself to the arts'. This means that, even if we where to want to deploy her on a mission somewhere, we would likely be unable to get her to go. Additionally, as part of her terms to join us, we are not allowed to set up a permanent post within her castle, so as to not draw unwanted attention her way.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:50:18 pm by Failbird105 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2020, 08:40:32 pm »

Recruitment and Purchases
3 Bodies, +Recruitment bonus
2 Materials

One unit (50) of Disgruntled Tales (1 Bodies)
Three units (15) of Kitsune (3 Bodies)
Two units (40) of Skirmisher Gear (One Materials)

---

Deployment:

1: Fund the Revolution - Foxwood
There's no shortage of angry men, women, and genderless objects and spirits that are angry with the bookbinders. The problem is that not all of those assorted discontents have weapons, armor, or in some cases food. Even the most popular of revolutions does not run for free, and ours is no exception. We need a source of income soon. Thankfully, the bookbinders have given us an opportunity that could have been theirs.

Rumpltstiltskin is not a being to be trifled with. But he won't help us for free. We'll send some of our rebels to smuggle him shipments of straw to spin into gold. Ideally, we'll take a cut for getting him the straw in the first place. Even if that fails, even him doing his business as usual will undermine the bookbinders.

5 Kitsune
20 Disgruntled Tales (ideally foxwood natives, or at least plausibly residents) armed with Skirmisher Gear (10 simple spears or jacks, 10 bows, long knife sidearms, rest of the armor as usual)

2: Birthright - Borna Coric
The Black Knight's arms and armor, the Green Knight's inheritance, are a priority for more reason than sentimentality. They'd be a substantial power boost for our leader, a major gain for our own morale and legitimacy, as well as a blow to enemy morale. But it's heavily guarded - recon is needed, as well as potentially local support.

The Green Knight
5 Kitsune
10 Disgruntled Tales

3. Gather Support - Avalon
Avalon's situation is tenuous and we can take advantage of that. There's discontent, there. Let's give them an outlet, hm?

5 kitsune
20 disgruntled tales, skirmisher gear (as listed earlier)
The Chesire Cat:
With care and attention,
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2020, 02:30:45 pm »

Trickery, Guile, & Gold: (1) TricMagic
Plan Twinwolf: (1) Kashyyk

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2020, 05:01:00 pm »

Trickery, Guile, & Gold: ()
Plan Twinwolf: (2) Kashyyk, TricMagic

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2020, 04:59:58 pm »

More voters pls.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2020, 05:06:13 pm »

Trickery, Guile, & Gold: ()
Plan Twinwolf: (3) Kashyyk, TricMagic, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2020, 12:24:42 am »

Movement Phase 1

Recruitment and Purchases
3 Bodies, +Recruitment bonus
2 Materials

One unit (50) of Disgruntled Tales (1 Bodies)
Three units (15) of Kitsune (3 Bodies)
Two units (40) of Skirmisher Gear (One Materials)

1: Fund the Revolution - Foxwood
There's no shortage of angry men, women, and genderless objects and spirits that are angry with the bookbinders. The problem is that not all of those assorted discontents have weapons, armor, or in some cases food. Even the most popular of revolutions does not run for free, and ours is no exception. We need a source of income soon. Thankfully, the bookbinders have given us an opportunity that could have been theirs.

Rumpltstiltskin is not a being to be trifled with. But he won't help us for free. We'll send some of our rebels to smuggle him shipments of straw to spin into gold. Ideally, we'll take a cut for getting him the straw in the first place. Even if that fails, even him doing his business as usual will undermine the bookbinders.

5 Kitsune
20 Disgruntled Tales (ideally foxwood natives, or at least plausibly residents) armed with Skirmisher Gear (10 simple spears or jacks, 10 bows, long knife sidearms, rest of the armor as usual)

Main street is quiet, and the willows weep tears of delicate crystal, dotting the road with delicate rainbows in the evening sun. The tea shop sits in an alleyway, a small wooden door and quaint porthole window muting the quiet noises of citizens in the road. Twenty five people crowd two small tables, dressed in simple threads and talking in quiet tones. A Foxwood guard lounges outside, nodding off in the evening warmth.

"Have you seen any Binders here?"

"None, but another party came through town shortly before us."

"Do you think it was them?"

"I can't rule it out. Humans and kobolds in a mixed group, but they could just be caravan guards looking for work."

"Do we have the location?"

"Close enough, the whole area's much quieter than usual."

2: Birthright - Borna Coric

The Black Knight's arms and armor, the Green Knight's inheritance, are a priority for more reason than sentimentality. They'd be a substantial power boost for our leader, a major gain for our own morale and legitimacy, as well as a blow to enemy morale. But it's heavily guarded - recon is needed, as well as potentially local support.

The Green Knight
5 Kitsune
10 Disgruntled Tales

The crow caws as a small troupe approaches the cottage. The green knight is dressed in dark clothing, a hood shrouding him in darkness even as the sun beats down above. His local informants had been delivered supplies discreetly by night, and the array of villagers, shopkeepers, and guards were all on standing orders to report to his organizers at the first sign of bookbinder activity. The kitsune were accompanying him at the moment, but had disappeared last night to “take a look around”.

A kitsune emerges from the cottage, waving cheerily. "Did you find anything?" He asks, voice coming out dull and quiet under his heavy cloak.

She giggles lightly, "Oh, ye of little faith, we found much! Of course, that mayyy have included running through some booby traps, so they probably know we're in town."

The Green Knight visibly pauses and walks inside. Once everyone is settled in the cottage, he stares the Kitsune in the eye and asks, "Where are they?"

"We couldn't even get close to the castle. All the tunnels you mentioned were trapped, and the castle approaches are heavily guarded."

3. Gather Support - Avalon

Avalon's situation is tenuous and we can take advantage of that. There's discontent, there. Let's give them an outlet, hm?

5 kitsune
20 disgruntled tales, skirmisher gear (as listed earlier)
The Chesire Cat:
With care and attention,

Percival’s office is lit by two glowing crystal lamps, an intimidating oaken desk and padded armchair centering the room in front of two stained glass windows. A finely illuminated porcelain plate sits on the desk, the rim depicting a landscape of the coast of Avalon and the center bearing a succulent roast duck, lightly peppered and marinated in spices from the Emerald City. He placed his knife and fork on the desk with a gentle clink, and turned his attention to the knight across from him. “And you say there are twenty and five?”

"Yes sir."

"Very well. Thank you for alerting me. You are dismissed."

The knight bows out of the room, and gently shuts the door behind them. A wide, toothy grin fades out of sight in the corner.

Finalize your attack plans pls. Thanks for reading.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2020, 02:08:05 am »

Don't we have the revision phase next? The one we already did was an extra one.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2020, 06:10:27 am »

I have no recollection of what we were doing .-.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2020, 07:45:08 am »

Right now it's revision phase, which will take effect next turn. So revise I suppose.

Hope springs eternal it seems.

I think we have 2 revisions?

Organization: Digging Crew

While our resistance has many Disgruntled Tales, organization has been lacking. First on the list, anyone with the knowhow to mine, dig, and craft shall be surveyed. This mostly applies to dwarves and gnomes, though they don't get along. The Digging Crew will be the ones we turn to in the coming days for gathering more resources from under the earth. As well as building bases in other locations hidden from the Bookbinders. For now though, simply having access to someone who knows how to dig a good tunnel will come in handy when infiltrating from underground. We certainly aren't going to get through to the Black Knight's arms and armor through the front or back doors, so we'll make our own.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:34:17 am by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9