Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Fight for the Woods - Tales United  (Read 6802 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Fight for the Woods - Tales United
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:54:31 pm »

Welcome, Tales

The Green Knight stands before you, clad in dully gleaming armor barely lit by the torchlight of the cellar. Several trolls lurk in the corner, everyone else keeping a safe distance from them, and gnomes shooting them dirty looks. A talking parrot is chatting with a pirate about the comparative virtues of looting ships versus towns. The quiet din is cut short by a loud clang, as the Green Knight knocks his shield with the pommel of his sword.

“Welcome all, to the first meeting of the united Tales. We’re here to fight back against Rafal and his evil. These woods have been our home forever, and we’re not about to cede the world to this upstart and his paranoid ways. Trolls, gnomes, elves - whoever you are, you deserve to live free, in harmony with this world. We stand for true freedom - not the pitiful rule of Man, but the wild joy of nature, the call of the abandoned ruin. We start tomorrow, and we will take back this land.”

You sign and lean back. You’re sitting at a table with an incredible variety of people - witches, pirates, knights, dwarves. You’re all here because you’re skilled at forging the weapons of war, now the weapons of rebellion. You have a lot of work ahead of you, you think. The dwarf sitting next to you starts talking across the table to a Gnomish wizard, reminiscing about home. Fire stirs in your blood as you think about how you struck back when your home was threatened, and the memories come flooding back.

Core Thread: Thread

How did you and your family live your life before the Bookbinders struck?

(Clarification - this prompt is to help you develop your starting units. You'll want to show the "before" state of the starting units of your side. While you can vote for a "tapestry" of families, it means you'll get less from each family. You can always design in other Tales to recruit them. Folklore from ALL CONTINENTS is allowed. A family is defined as a group of 1-50 entities living in a similiar way in one area.)

Index:
Backstory
Design 1
Design 1 (Part 2)
Raid 1
Current Phase - Design 2
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:43:52 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for the Woods - Tales United
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 02:26:52 pm »

(Clarification - this prompt is to help you develop your starting units. While you can vote for a "tapestry" of families, it means you'll get less from each family. You can always design in other Tales to recruit them. Folklore from ALL CONTINENTS is allowed.)
Oh. I thought it was a "give me a character for each of you" thing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:34:18 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:33:41 pm »

here
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:38:54 pm »

Quote from: proposal
A modest life, as the life of welsh magic users go. The brownies tending to our mundane needs while we worked on creating or recreating magical artifacts. Of course, those very artifacts we created were turned against us when the Bookbinders struck.

(Reasoning, Celtic/welsh mythology has a good spread of magical weapons already built in, and some nice creatures to recruit as well.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:42:45 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »

Sherwood Forest was a peaceful place, spirits and people living together. Some good, some evil, plots and peace rising and falling like the tides.

Then the traitor struck, binding the spirits with chains of iron and fairies with dark spellcraft. Those of us who could escape were lesser, not as bound to our homes, nor half as peaceful. We bring with us spells of ruination and nature's furies, the fairies spells meant to beguile and entrance..

Our brethren have been ripped from their old homes to work their mines and develop their farmlands, to fuel their forges and move their cargo. We shall free them from this and rejoin with them, before crashing over the walls of Camelot to wreck havoc upon the betrayers.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 03:02:02 pm »

Quote from: proposal
A modest life, as the life of welsh magic users go. The brownies tending to our mundane needs while we worked on creating or recreating magical artifacts. Of course, those very artifacts we created were turned against us when the Bookbinders struck.

(Reasoning, Celtic/welsh mythology has a good spread of magical weapons already built in, and some nice creatures to recruit as well.)
I'll support this.

Honestly, one thing I've been thinking of doing is getting a few of our agents - since I assume that at least some Tales are still human, at least in appearance and general mannerism - into prominent positions in "mundane" society, and then, when the time is right, having them denounce and betray the Bookbinders. Even before that, they could divert some of the Binders' resources and give us information and the like.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:17:44 pm »

Family Structure Proposal
Small population of Welsh Wizardfolk adopted by the Faerie. Water, earth, and wind spirits. 1 High Light Spirit ruling the other spirits. Summer Court Faerie.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 03:20:19 pm »

Folklore from ALL CONTINENTS is allowed.
...it has occurred to me that this probably means we could 100% do "Greek demigods".
Or really, demigods in general, so long as they're supported by the mythology.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 03:59:28 pm »

Quote from: Freeshooters
We lived as Freischütz, Freeshooters. Using bow and blade to do as we pleased in the sherwood forest. Theoretically noble bandits who used magic and violence to get our way. Above all else though we were free. Free to do as we pleased as long as what we wanted was within our power. And when that power was not enough, we sought deals with the spirits of the forest, turning magic to accomplish what skill alone could not. So it went, with us stealing from the rich to give to the poor, after taking our due for ourselves, seeking deals with entities we probably shouldn't have messed with, and having our deals come back to bite us in the ass. It was our fault whenever it happened. As I said, we made deals with things we probably shouldn't have messed with, we knew it was going to backfire, that was part of the fun for us, avoiding it backfiring enough to screw us over. But our power comes from the uncontrolled spirits and magical entities of these lands, if they vanish, so will our power. We become nothing more than bandits. So, when the bookbinders threatened those who we strike deals with to gain power, we had to take action.
Freeshooters proposal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:07:20 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 05:11:27 pm »

Quote from: Sherwood Fairies
Once, things in the Sherwood were fair and kind, with noble bandits and wise talking animals. Once, we lived in peace and harmony with one another, living in the trees and glades with the rest of our fairy kindred. Oh, Tinker Bell was the most famous of our type of Fey, but she was by far not the only one and the rest of us made lives as we could, living with nature as guided by fairy magic. Before the Bookbinders came. Now we are lost, but we have not lost ourselves. They have forgotten why the fey of old were respected and feared. It is time to remind man's short memories of the wrath of the fairies.

Write up for fairies both fair and foul.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:02:38 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 05:27:37 pm »

Quote from: Bunraku
We come from far away. A troupe of performers, traveling with some Samurai and Miko for protection from dragons and everything else out there in the wild. We practice an art of puppets, combining magic and skill in our performances of Bunraku. Traditionally requiring three people to operate, we have used magic to reduce that number to one, one person, one puppet. Illusions to enhance the effect of our shows are known to us as well. But now we are here, strangers in a strange land, it's ways unknown to us, and ours alien to its inhabitants.
Magic puppeteers, and maybe some other random people.
Quote from: Votebox
Tapestry Freeshooters+Happery's Fairies: (1) DGR
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:49:55 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 06:02:29 pm »

Well, here's my vote.
Sherwood Fairies: (1) Happerry
Tapestry Freeshooters+Sherwood Fairies: (1) DGR
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 06:10:22 pm »

Sherwood Fairies: (2) Happerry, TricMagic
Tapestry Freeshooters+Sherwood Fairies: (1) DGR

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 06:27:57 pm »

Need more time to make suggestions happen, take your time. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 08:55:24 pm »

Sherwood Fairies: (2) Happerry, TricMagic
Tapestry Freeshooters+Sherwood Fairies: (2) DGR, Glass
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9