Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Alikai Team Thread - FR20 [~5 players]  (Read 13894 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Alikai Team Thread - FR20 [~5 players]
« on: May 17, 2020, 08:27:02 pm »

Welcome To Alikai
Enjoy your complimentary sand bath!

Core Thread

My fellow Alikainians... Alikaites, Alikaides? Whatever. Anyway, my fellow brothers in arms! There is a threat to the North-West! A Threat that stands for everything we don't stand for! A threat that says the leaders of our system of government, whatever that may be, look like jerks!

They are called the Zehlin, and aside from hailing from the opposite end of the region (and the dictionary) the are an awful people whose nationalistic ambitions must be pushed back to make way for the manifest destiny of Alikai!

---

It is the 0th Design, Revision, and Research Phase

You don't have anything to Revise, and I would strongly recommend designing some form of general infantry in order to start taking control over nearby regions. Nobody starts with anything, and territory capture will be skipped for this round. This means that both sides will start taking territories, chunk by chunk, and potentially meet on the fifth actual round. Use this time to build yourself up and get some kind of ethos going.

As part of this same 'Design Phase' you also need to complete a special vote. In the core thread, there's four schools of magic listed 'Other Magical Arts' pick one as a starting mastery for your empire.

---
Spoiler: Your Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Your Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Active Research Leads (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:28:31 pm by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Alikai Team Thread - FR20
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:53:50 pm »

IN.

Edit: I favor the lunar focus, especially since we're a desert nation.

Edit 2: Woo let's design some infantry

So, my thoughts about starter infantry are pretty straight forward. How about giant snake cavalry?

Scaleriders

The forward scouts of our nation, the Scaleriders slither across the desert on the backs of the giant (non-venomous) snakes that are often found in the desert valleys of our home. Extended breeding efforts have borne fruit, and the result is spear welding soldiers riding the backs of giant snakes across the desert. The uniform for riders is a back-strapped spear and wooden shield, with tightly fitting, full body white clothing. A small set of leather straps gives the rider a harness to hold onto and attach a small pack to. The snake is guided by a set of bells attached to the head, which the rider rings to guide the snake. The snakes aren't meant to be ridden into combat - they're mainly a form of transportation for our forward scouts.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:00:22 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alikai Team Thread - FR20 [~3 players]
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 03:50:11 pm »

Quote from: Vote
Bonding: (1) TricMagic
Aquaducts: (1) TricMagic
The Tawila: (1) TricMagic

Special Vote
Awakening: (1) TricMagic

We have time...

Research: Bonding

By performing a ritual, one can bond with another living being. The Giant Snakes of our homeland are known to eat the various large beasts and have immense jaw strength, scales which can shrug off most weapons, not to mention being able to inject an acid into their targets to kill them and being able to digest just about anything quickly. A person who performs Bonding with a Scalissi trades part of their mental ability with that of the Scalissi, as well as their physical abilities. The Scalissi is made to transfer ownership of itself to the Bonder, and the Bonder cares for the Scalissi in question for as long as they work together.

Such is the idea, and could be applied to other beasts in our territory. We've had to fight hard to survive, but we've managed. So now it's time to turn that difficulty to our advantage.

Design: Aquaducts
The Aqueducts lead to ancient cisterns and aquifers beneath the sands and were painstakingly built and maintained to give our city the water it needed to survive and grow crops. They are sources of endless water which allows us to survive in the desert, and have greatly helped us over the years. Now, with war from the far off land on the horizon, the growth of our people will undoubtedly defeat the upstarts who had it easy in their own biome without the scorching sun and freezing nights.

Design to boost our Mortal count.

Research: The Tawila

We of the Tawila have been forged by the extreme conditions of our homeland. We have gone without large amounts of water and food for so long that we do not require as much as others, much like most in our homeland. And yet our bodies can perform at peak proficiency so long as the bare basics are provided. However, when we actually have enough, most of that goes into ourselves, the Tawila are not a people that keep fat, instead focused on physical and mental ability. And that ability does not atrophy, instead it simply grows more pronounced so long as good amounts of food and water are eaten. Food is a luxury for us as a people, and we are always looking ahead, but recent years have allowed us to relax a bit. Not that that keeps us from being ready to survive our full 200 years. Though that number has only recently become known... Life is tough in the desert.

Research will improve the result, which is important for a good baseline for our people. Same with bonding really.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:41:23 pm by TricMagic »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 04:10:59 pm »

I asked GM for a design judge, here is the result:

Quote from: The Adversary
You can ask in the thread too, I don't really mind.

That is a minor design, perhaps even trivial. The only new element introduced is a beeg snek. Deployment of said snek is limited to scouting roles as noted, and explicitly stated to not be combat trained. Equipment mentioned is very typical of the era.

So, a few things to be gained here - we won't get unexpected Boons like we're used to. In addition, adding new and cool creatures is seemingly not too hard.

I was thinking maybe say the snakes are combat trained, and leave it there. Also, I was thinking that we may not be vanilla humans - thoughts on that?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 04:20:51 pm »

The farther from the norm, the less there are. And I did put something up that will mean we are stronger and need less supplies.

Researching Bonding mostly means we can use magic to instill a bond to control creatures. That will make it easier to control new creatures too.

Also, is there a discord?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »

I highly favor going the lunar magic route - we live in the desert, the moon is one of our primary heavenly bodies. Also, it's cool, and how you get cool anime style outfits (because the lunacy).

As for other things I want to do, I was thinking that our population is the result of a long-ago experiment that transformed our population to be more desert adapted. How exactly to go about this, not sure.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 04:30:44 pm »

Researching Bonding mostly means we can use magic to instill a bond to control creatures. That will make it easier to control new creatures too.

Also, is there a discord?

On Bonding: Awakening does not confer control. One can gift the Serpent with part of the intelligence of its master, such that it can enter a state where it understands loyalty and commands, but its mind is still fully its own.

You can lead awaken a horse snake to water fealty, but can't control what it thinks or does.

For the Discord question: There is not.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 04:53:13 pm »

Research: The Waning Crescent

The priests of Alikai have long performed their moonlight ceremonies, dedications to the gods accompanied by harmonic chants and dazzling engravings dancing in the light of the half-moon. The ceremonies have always been held at half-moon, but the lunar eclipse celebrations have generated such different effects that we could not ignore. We have burnt effigies and smoked the flesh of our harvest in an effort to gauge just what makes this absolute void of the eclipse so much more powerful. We must become stronger.

GM, is this a valid research action?

(Also, minor nitpick, Tric, but storing fat is a survival trait -  means you last better in starvation, etc.)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:08:50 pm »

Research: The Waning Crescent

The priests of Alikai have long performed their moonlight ceremonies, dedications to the gods accompanied by harmonic chants and dazzling engravings dancing in the light of the half-moon. The ceremonies have always been held at half-moon, but the lunar eclipse celebrations have generated such different effects that we could not ignore. We have burnt effigies and smoked the flesh of our harvest in an effort to gauge just what makes this absolute void of the eclipse so much more powerful. We must become stronger.

GM, is this a valid research action?

Research can be very open ended and vague, but this means that what you'll get a bonus on is very random. You might get a couple options, but it'll be basically dependent on my whimsy at that moment. Yes, you'll get a small bonus to working with Lunacy, but that, honestly, is incomparably small compared to the direct benefit of Project Leads.

My initial reading of that is research into attempting to either empower existing rituals (of which you have none), gain more auspicious hours, or to gain a research lead on a nearly random project.

The primary benefit of background research is to gain leads, so if you want a specific kind of project it's best to be slightly more specific. Tric's research, for instance, goes into relatively specific phenomena. I can then look at these phenomena, judge them against the world, and expound on them to generate research leads that can fuel a later design.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 05:14:45 pm »

Personally, while I like the Scaleriders, we've been strongly advised to make some sort of basic generalist infantry...
You don't have anything to Revise, and I would strongly recommend designing some form of general infantry in order to start taking control over nearby regions.

Spoiler:  Your Designs (click to show/hide)
...and the Scaleriders are, well, not basic infantry.

So here's a general infantry design we can make to actually get territory while we argue on what to use the other actions to do.

Desert Clansfolk : The Desert is a harsh place, and breeds people that are often, though not always, harsh themselves. The Clanfolk of the deeper deserts are particularly known for their skills with shortbow and curved sword, what some call a scimitar and the tribesfolk themselves usually call Kilij. Given that, even for the desert, the clans of the deeper deserts are often particularly poor in materials and food alike, their members often hire themselves out for war to put their skills to profitable use. Thusly, the armies of the people of Alikai have come to generally have good numbers of such folk included.

Just to double check, The Adversary, this look good for a basic infantry design?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 05:17:12 pm »

Nitpick is that for wateverreason(cough, magic), our people don't actually use that trait, instead often storing it in muscle and improving the body.

Lunacy is limited to certain times, and messes with the mind, while Awakening has uses that can be done anytime.

GM, how would you rate the Tawila as a design without research. How would that work out?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:19:03 pm by TricMagic »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »

Research: The Waning Crescent (V2)

The priests of Alikai have long performed their moonlight ceremonies, dedications to the gods accompanied by harmonic chants and dazzling engravings dancing in the light of the half-moon. The ceremonies have always been held at half-moon, but the lunar eclipse celebrations have generated such different effects that we could not ignore. We have burnt effigies and smoked the flesh of our harvest in an effort to gauge just what makes this absolute void of the eclipse so much more powerful, when it is not a proper half-moon. We will attempt the ritual each day this month, for it is clear that the moon is always watching, and more days of shaping are always welcome.

This version is a research into expanding the transformation days. If we go lunar, I want at least 2x/month to transform people, beings, and objects.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:29:02 pm by Doomblade187 »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 05:27:37 pm »

Desert Clansfolk : The Desert is a harsh place, and breeds people that are often, though not always, harsh themselves. The Clanfolk of the deeper deserts are particularly known for their skills with shortbow and curved sword, what some call a scimitar and the tribesfolk themselves usually call Kilij. Given that, even for the desert, the clans of the deeper deserts are often particularly poor in materials and food alike, their members often hire themselves out for war to put their skills to profitable use. Thusly, the armies of the people of Alikai have come to generally have good numbers of such folk included.

Just to double check, The Adversary, this look good for a basic infantry design?

Weapon materials might be nice. Iron, bronze, early steel, wood studded with serpent teeth for scimitars? Stone-headed arrows? Wooden or horn shortbows? Recurve or simple? Armor would also bear mentioning, if any exists.

Just bear in mind that, whatever you roll, I'm only going to be going by the write-up for how this infantry works. A good roll and a bad roll get you the same swords, so you have to specify a bit.

Other than those niggles, it's a fine and straightforward way to staff your armies with mercenary clansmen.

Nitpick is that for wateverreason(cough, magic), our people don't actually use that trait, instead often storing it in muscle and improving the body.

In cattle this is known as marbling. It is delicious. This, by extension, likely means that your people are delicious.

GM, how would you rate the Tawila as a design without research. How would that work out?

The Tawila is basically what I expect out of research. You name some traits of a thing, and I can expand on those traits. From there you'll be able to make a design using that lead.

Of course, research, by its definition, pushes boundaries of initial knowledge. Whatever leads you get will never be, exactly, what you specified initially.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 05:30:16 pm »

Research: The Waning Crescent (V2)

The priests of Alikai have long performed their moonlight ceremonies, dedications to the gods accompanied by harmonic chants and dazzling engravings dancing in the light of the half-moon. The ceremonies have always been held at half-moon, but the lunar eclipse celebrations have generated such different effects that we could not ignore. We have burnt effigies and smoked the flesh of our harvest in an effort to gauge just what makes this absolute void of the eclipse so much more powerful, when it is not a proper half-moon. We will attempt the ritual each day this month, for it is clear that the moon is always watching, and more days of shaping are always welcome.

This version is a research into expanding the transformation days. If we go lunar, I want at least 2x/month to transform people, beings, and objects.

Gotcha. In that case this is, in essence, a research project to discover a method of gaining more of Lunacy's resource.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 05:32:47 pm »

Ah yes, we are delicious to the many many things who think we make a good snack. Haha, that cracks me up.

I was mostly wondering about skipping the research step into our people and just going design. That being marbling does sound interesting though.

What research we go with is likely to be based upon which magic we choose. So maybe tie the research to the Special Vote?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:34:49 pm by TricMagic »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18