Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]  (Read 8692 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]
« on: May 17, 2020, 08:27:38 pm »

Welcome To Zehlin
Enjoy your complimentary leech treatment!

Core Thread

My fellow Zehlins... Zehlites, Zehillians? Whatever. Anyway, my fellow brothers in arms! There is a threat to the South-East! A Threat that stands for everything we don't stand for! A threat that says the leaders of our system of government, whatever that may be, look like jerks!

They are called the Alikai, and aside from hailing from the opposite end of the region (and the dictionary) they are an awful people whose nationalistic ambitions must be pushed back to make way for the manifest destiny of Zehlin!

---

It is the 0th Design, Revision, and Research Phase

You don't have anything to Revise, and I would strongly recommend designing some form of general infantry in order to start taking control over nearby regions. Nobody starts with anything, and territory capture will be skipped for this round. This means that both sides will start taking territories, chunk by chunk, and potentially meet on the fifth actual round. Use this time to build yourself up and get some kind of ethos going.

As part of this same 'Design Phase' you also need to complete a special vote. In the core thread, there's four schools of magic listed 'Other Magical Arts' pick one as a starting mastery for your empire.

---
Spoiler: Your Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Your Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Active Research Leads (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:22:51 pm by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:54:28 pm »

So, are we designing units or designing armaments?

Avanti!

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:26:56 pm »

Either or. You're assumed to have men and women willing to help the enemy die for their cause, so if you design an infantry weapon, there will always be someone to put behind it.

Designing a unit itself would generally be for non-human, elite, or otherwise uncommon infantry.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:48:28 pm »

The way I see it, our magic options are as follows:

-Deep: Summon horrors to do our fighting for us, harvest souls to bolster us or warbeasts at the cost of driving them mad.
-Lunacy: Magnify properties in something at the cost of great strain to it. Meh.
-Juxtematics: Trade properties between materials.
-Awakening: Trade properties between living things.

Given our excessively abundant native life, I'm leaning either Deep or Awakening for ample raw materials. If I had to guess, we're start with more Fruit of the Land and less Minerals than those alphabetically-pretentious desert bastards, so leaning on warbeasts and swarm tactics will probably be more sustainable than heavy infantry or contraptions.

Still not sure which I'd prefer, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 11:12:27 pm »

Quicken the Corpse of Dead: Through the powers of the Deep we have gained the ability of untold generations to bring back that those who were lost to us back to our sides, only they have changed substantially compared to their previous forms. In through a ritual, where gather masses of our fallen tovarishch are piled up and are bribed to possess, inhabit, than animate the fallen corpses, each are bribed that through their new physical forms they can spread their insatiable hunger to feed on the souls of a mortal body. While newborn, they are awkward nearly mindless, souless constructs that can't feel pain, fear, exhaustion, or even intimidation and then follow the creator's order with no regards to their own self-preservation, and creature's that bring their full musculature to full force not caring whether they damage their dead internal organs or muscles, being able to physical resist blows until the body truly crumbles and swing with uncanny force, as the corpses are just puppets in which we bring the Deep to full bear. On a tactical side, these creatures known as the Corpses through their alien mindset really only follow simple monosyllabic or disyllabic commands such as "Attack", "Follow Me!", etc, as well as the corpses own physical capabilities are a bit impaired compared to back to their previous owner, being slow and clumsy, hampering their reactiveness in full combat. However, they are unwavering forces that can we nearly create dime a dozen through the bodies we collect and allowing them to serve the more menial and basic tasks in combat like the frontline and other tasks that requires repetitive and monotonous motions, that helps bolster our military with a resilient terrifying grunt to fill out our numbers.

As for my consideration for what magic we should master I am going to go for as with my design proposal...

Quote from: Magic Mastery Votebox
The Communion of the Deep: (1) SC777

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~3 Players]
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 02:35:03 am »

I feel like our basic infantry unit should be, well, very basic. Something we can throw a third of a turn on and get a product with few enough bugs that we never need to revisit it, and cheap enough that we never have to worry about being able to afford it.

Quote from: Proposal: Renewable Infantry Gear
Gambesons- that is, woven armor stuffed with padding- are surprisingly protective. More importantly, they're absurdly protective for their cost, being made of easily farmed materials. These models feature at least an outer layer of waterproof plant fiber to keep them resistant to the damp conditions of home.

Soldiers are also issued gourd helmets- as the name suggests, oversized gourds carved into helms, with padding and straps added to ensure a snug, protective, comfortable fit. Finally, a pair of high-quality, knee-high leather boots is included. While one of the more expensive pieces of gear in the whole set, the value of a good pair of boots is not to be underestimated, especially for soldiers intended to cover a lot of very unpleasant ground over the course of their service.

For armaments, each soldier receives a serviceable but unremarkable iron-tipped spear and wooden shield, as well as a brace of iron-tipped javelins.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~3 Players]
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 04:12:41 pm »

Since we're just starting out and it'll probably be helpful to get things going, I'll put in a quick complexity check on your current designs.

Plus, the other side already asked me to do this. Equality.

Renewable Infantry Gear

Trivial. This design is basically formalizing what you nebulously already possess. Everything falls comfortably within your technological level, and the only thing exceptional is the care placed into the boots and the waterproof gambesons. Both of those follow naturally from your homeland, so it's far from strange.

Quicken the Corpse of Dead

Minor-Ordinary. This is a pretty meat and potatoes design. Conjure up some really stupid things from the deep, put them into the dead, and face front towards enemy. There's the potential for magical mishaps along the way, but the basic principle is quite sound.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 06:54:19 pm »

So here is my suggestion for a design, pretty simple but i think that is where we should start anyhow dont need to make War Winning weapons when the war hasn't started

Bog Beasts
The general appearance of a Bog Beast is a morass of vines and moss concealing something of pale slimy flesh beneath these creatures are anywhere from the size of a cat too a horse and not very intelligent however they can be bent to our will. Slowly and implacably dragging themselves towards our foes on land before the massive gaping maw of the Beast opens up latching on too a opponent where it then begins to convulse and shake seeking to tear chunks of flesh and break limbs. However while the Bog Beast is certainly a danger on land in the seas, rivers and of course bogs it truly finds itself at home swimming with a writhing motion it'll slowly approach vessels or other aquatic creatures pretending to be nothing more then oceanic flotsam before springing with speed and dragging its prey to the depths.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 01:47:13 pm »

So here is my suggestion for a design, pretty simple but i think that is where we should start anyhow dont need to make War Winning weapons when the war hasn't started

Bog Beasts
The general appearance of a Bog Beast is a morass of vines and moss concealing something of pale slimy flesh beneath these creatures are anywhere from the size of a cat too a horse and not very intelligent however they can be bent to our will. Slowly and implacably dragging themselves towards our foes on land before the massive gaping maw of the Beast opens up latching on too a opponent where it then begins to convulse and shake seeking to tear chunks of flesh and break limbs. However while the Bog Beast is certainly a danger on land in the seas, rivers and of course bogs it truly finds itself at home swimming with a writhing motion it'll slowly approach vessels or other aquatic creatures pretending to be nothing more then oceanic flotsam before springing with speed and dragging its prey to the depths.

Again, just a quick courtesy check since we're starting.

Only real issue I see with this as a proposal is that it doesn't specify a number of these things that you're aiming to deploy, nor the breakdown to which are cat and which are horse sized. Are we talking 1:1 with infantry, 1:4, 1:20, 1:100? What's the proportion in beastly size ratios? Are we talking mostly tenta-cats with a few shogg-horses? Even distribution? Bell curve where both tenta-cats and shogg-horses are uncommon and the octo-llama is the dominant size?

There's nothing about the basic nature of the beast that is terrible complicated. It's a simple minded predator that has been domesticated for use in war. However, how many of these thing you're aiming for, and how big they are is important. Imagine it as the difference in complexity between adding a K-9 unit to a police force and ensuring that every officer has a fully trained police dog at their disposal. Scale is a complexity all its own.

A reminder to everyone: Your roll on a design does not impact its basic efficacy. If you roll perfectly you don't get swarms of unexpectedly amazing swamp monsters, and if you roll terribly you won't be forced to make do with a half dozen anemic tenta-cats with no IFF. The outcomes of designs are dependent upon your current write-up and the weight of your previous experience.

Semi-Quick Edit: I know one should never expect one's enemies players to cooperate in the creation of your dream engagement game, but I'd love to run an update today.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:51:30 pm by The Adversary »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 03:36:36 pm »

I'll officially throw in for Communion:

Quote from: Magic Mastery Votebox
The Communion of the Deep: (2) SC777, IronyOwl

I'll also propose an alternative third design while we work out the snags in our bog beasts. Specifically, we need something to handle aquatic expansion. Ideally well suited to our unique-brand-of-hell seas.

Quote from: Proposal: Sea Chariots
These shallow wooden boats are about twenty feet long and six feet wide, and intended to be crewed by around a dozen. They contain a mast and small sail which can double as a tent to protect the crew from the elements, and a few sets of oars for manual rowing.

However, the primary intended propulsion for the craft are a pair of Frillnecks- nearly-aquatic newts of prodigious size, easily distinguished by the decorative bright teal frills on their necks. The Frillnecks are harnessed to the craft as horses might be to a chariot, and fulfill the same function of pulling the craft along as directed by their handlers. Frillnecks are also poisonous and foul-tasting, which will hopefully deter gigantic predators, and provides a source of toxins to smear on the crew's weapons. Unlike most salamanders, Frillnecks are opportunistically omnivorous and will happily feast on both the Stillreach sargasso and its inhabitants. They are also not terribly graceful or happy on land, but can and will do so to avoid predators, find meals, or obey their handlers.

Speaking of weapons, the crew of a sea chariot is composed of archers armed with simple recurve bows and iron-tipped arrows smeared with Frillneck toxin- generally causing highly distracting irritation and pain in open wounds. It's intended that while the newts keep the ship moving, all mortal crew may fire at will upon the enemy, raking soft targets. Said archers are lightly armored, both to keep down costs and maintain swimming ability.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 04:13:56 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Magic mastery
The Communion of the Deep: (3) SC777, IronyOwl, DGR
Designs
Sea chariots: (1) DGR
Quicken the dead: (1) DGR
Lightning bomb: (1) DGR
Renewable infantry gear
Of note, we should be thinking about pairing Miad with Communion stuff.
Dull and quicksilver miad can be produced Via dropping objects off of high places. Possibly also lowering the transition level to increase how much we get from each drop. Combined with Communion magic to provide power and we can probably do some cool stuff. Stabilizing Burning miad is a thing we should think about doing, we could probably make one heck of a charging bomb by using a being from the deep to provide and regulate the heat transfer needed to generate Burning Miad and keep it growing/stable.
Edit, added votebox
Quote from: Lightning bomb
A basic application of dull miad's properties combined with Beings of the Deep. A simple glass orb with a small object inside, which can move around freely at decent speeds when the orb is shaken. By having some miad alterers lower the threshold for the formation of dull miad, this allows the small orb to grow amounts of dull miad inside of it, which, as long as it is exposed to sunlight, then transform into free electrons. Now, on its own this isn't notable, as the amount of electricity produced is minimal, but with time and effort, and a little help from the being enchanting the orb, we can build up a significant charge. Combined with the being enchanting the orb greatly enhancing it's ability to resist electrical flow through itself, we can create what is basically a ball of lighting, a massive amount of free electrons contained in a fragile ball ready to be thrown at the enemy. Upon the orb becoming cracked, these electrons can escape, and do, violently. Causing a small explosion at the impact site.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:49:55 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 04:48:36 pm »

Magic mastery
Designs
Sea chariots: (2) DGR, IronyOwl
Quicken the dead: (2) DGR, IronyOwl
Lightning bomb: (1) DGR
Renewable Infantry Gear: (1) IronyOwl

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 04:51:56 pm »

Magic mastery
Designs
Lightning bomb: ()
Renewable Infantry Gear: (2) IronyOwl, DGR
Thinking about it, yeah, we need infantry gear up.
My Power armor arms race

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 06:16:44 pm »

Magic mastery
The Communion of the Deep: (3) SC777, IronyOwl, DGR, Detoxicated
Designs
Renewable Infantry Gear: (3) IronyOwl, DGR, Detoxicated

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:56 pm »

Magic mastery
The Communion of the Deep: (3) SC777, IronyOwl, DGR, Detoxicated
Designs
Renewable Infantry Gear: (3) IronyOwl, DGR, Detoxicated
we get three actions in this phase
My Power armor arms race
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8