Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]  (Read 8694 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2020, 10:06:48 pm »

Two Questions GM, can a creature still move if its entire epidermis layer (or wooden body for trees) still be able to move if it had the adhesiveness with resin sap with Juxtemancy were swapped or would it just make it very difficult to move lol, the more important question is towards the stone skinning of the body, now I imagine digesting microbes and whatnot would still be able to get inside even skins with the hardness of stones, but shouldn't it still severely reduce the rot of their internal organs and as well still protecting them from rotting away in water?

It can certainly still move. Consider the green lacewing nymph, better known as a junk bug. It covers itself in sticky secretion, adorning itself with grains of sand, bits of lichen, and trophies of the slain.

It won't however, remain sticky for long. Falling leaves, bits of sand, sticks, birds, squirrels, careless children, etc, will quickly bind to the dermis of the creature, creating a barrier against further sticking. Yes, if it touches itself before accreting a protective layer, it may end up playing a fully body version of the tape-your-thumbs-to-your-palms-and-pretend-you're-a-dinosaur game.

So stoneskin would reduce the incidental damage caused by scrapes, bumps, nibbly things, and some water saturation. However, the body goes to shit when it does. Stomach acids, gut microbes, not to mention the cocktail of enzymes the body uses for controlled cell death, and then there's the matter of all the other holes a body has for bacteria to creep inside. Worse than that, you're not just dealing with bacteria, you're dealing with straight up accelerated entropy. These are soft tissues that are simply breaking apart, bacteria or no bacteria, at a greatly accelerated rate. Stoneskin will slow some damage, but it's still going to slough as the unaltered flesh beneath breaks down, and it won't prevent everything even while engaged.

The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2020, 10:10:46 am »

Well, it's been three days since the last spark here, and I suppose there is a clear unanimous vote...

Consider this your pestering. If you really don't vote beyond this in a day or so, I'll let Shadow's votes stand for the team.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2020, 10:25:21 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Megafauna Mummification: (2) SC777, DGR
Sun Arrows: (2) SC777, DGR
Possessed Trees: (2) SC777, DGR

Contest:
Elder's Keep: (2) SC777, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2020, 02:50:43 pm »

Sorry for vanishing, Total War: Warhammer II is a fun game.

Possessed Trees:
The Possessed Trees are objects inhabited by the Deep, however the form has changed a great deal before they are fully animated into the construct after its modifications take place. Currently with the utilization of the common Resin or Sap that these tree produce is utilized to transmute its adhesiveness or bonding properties to four areas or rather patches of the chopped down tree of various sizes, two on the upper sides and two on the bottom sides, then with our advanced woodcarving techniques we construct two wooden limbs with a sharpened claw at the end, and two stout wooden legs designed for durability and the ability to dig and walk on most grounded surfaces. The parts that connect the tree to its appendages, apply a strong deal of the tree’s resin and sap adhesiveness for a strong bond between the appendages in the limbs. Also to increase the intimidation factor, two half spherical cuts are applied to the upper half with a carved line that looks like a grin to represent its eyes and mouth. After all the carving and gluing its limbs is done, the Deep is then communed into the Tree where it then the vast and strange powers that apply with Souldregs, allows the Deep to animate and move the tree on its own, these Possessed Trees are disturbing to look at, most come from the common cypress trees though young tree saplings and lumbering oaks are in the mix. All of these trees make a  well frightening continuous demoralizing sound generating from the trees which represents the “talking part”  that it can turn to a shriek to destroy eardrums and push back soldiers that this effect of the tree also created the communion of the Deep Ritual. As well as giving the Deep that inhabit these Trees the ability to do what all Deep desire, and the consuming of souls is possible with these constructs.
These aren't really trees so much as crude wood golems. Are we sure we don't wanna craft their bodies more intentionally, since the "tree" part isn't really important to them any more?

I'm also worried about gluing the joints with resin. The point of a joint is to move. If it's glued to its body that's kinda gonna defeat the moving purpose.

Also as a reminder- design effectiveness is based on writeup detail and quality. It is totally possible for us to gimp ourselves with a poorly thought out design.

I'll throw up a more keep-y version of the Elder Keep soon. I feel like we should probably emphasize the actual structure and its effects over "there were a lot of insane royal vampires in here but then we killed them."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2020, 04:13:03 pm »

Sorry for vanishing, Total War: Warhammer II is a fun game.

Possessed Trees:
The Possessed Trees are objects inhabited by the Deep, however the form has changed a great deal before they are fully animated into the construct after its modifications take place. Currently with the utilization of the common Resin or Sap that these tree produce is utilized to transmute its adhesiveness or bonding properties to four areas or rather patches of the chopped down tree of various sizes, two on the upper sides and two on the bottom sides, then with our advanced woodcarving techniques we construct two wooden limbs with a sharpened claw at the end, and two stout wooden legs designed for durability and the ability to dig and walk on most grounded surfaces. The parts that connect the tree to its appendages, apply a strong deal of the tree’s resin and sap adhesiveness for a strong bond between the appendages in the limbs. Also to increase the intimidation factor, two half spherical cuts are applied to the upper half with a carved line that looks like a grin to represent its eyes and mouth. After all the carving and gluing its limbs is done, the Deep is then communed into the Tree where it then the vast and strange powers that apply with Souldregs, allows the Deep to animate and move the tree on its own, these Possessed Trees are disturbing to look at, most come from the common cypress trees though young tree saplings and lumbering oaks are in the mix. All of these trees make a  well frightening continuous demoralizing sound generating from the trees which represents the “talking part”  that it can turn to a shriek to destroy eardrums and push back soldiers that this effect of the tree also created the communion of the Deep Ritual. As well as giving the Deep that inhabit these Trees the ability to do what all Deep desire, and the consuming of souls is possible with these constructs.
These aren't really trees so much as crude wood golems. Are we sure we don't wanna craft their bodies more intentionally, since the "tree" part isn't really important to them any more?

I'm also worried about gluing the joints with resin. The point of a joint is to move. If it's glued to its body that's kinda gonna defeat the moving purpose.

Also as a reminder- design effectiveness is based on writeup detail and quality. It is totally possible for us to gimp ourselves with a poorly thought out design.

I'll throw up a more keep-y version of the Elder Keep soon. I feel like we should probably emphasize the actual structure and its effects over "there were a lot of insane royal vampires in here but then we killed them."
Agreed, however, we needed votes and I didn't feel like writing new things, plus tree golems tell us if it's possible to use deep stuff to make golems. As for the keep, yeaah, I really didn't write that well.
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2020, 04:52:03 pm »

Prototype place of power possibilities.

Halls of the Mind
The Deep has long held a fascination for the Zehlinite people. There are those who hold that, as creatures of Mind, all sapient things are kin to those eternal horrors, and with proper ritual may ascend to emulate their unfathomable power and vision. This monastery is an ancient stronghold of such belief, long training aspirants in the feasting of souls and the clarity of madness. Their successes are mixed, but none can doubt that the place is now steeped in the Deep's power- whispers are heard through its halls, often one's own thoughts, summonings are unusually easy here, and inhuman sounds are heard through the walls.

The Tower of Agazast
The 'tower' of one of the more famous Zehlian kings is a pit spiraling ever deeper into the ground. He believed that by burrowing deep into the earth, one could burrow deep into the mind, and so reach the origin of all thought. This plan succeeded, but in messy and corrupt fashion- terrible things began seeping into the walls, feasting upon the workers and driving men mad. Construction was forced through for a time until the mad king himself vanished within its depths- some say devoured by the horrors he allowed to seep into the world, others say ascending to join them in depraved existence. Whatever the truth, the tower itself has been an important pilgrimage and ritual site for those seeking to understand or harness the Deep ever since, with travelers variously hearing their own thoughts echoing in the dark, conversing with things they cannot see, or vanishing entirely.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »

Megafauna Mummification: (2) SC777, DGR
Sun Arrows: (2) SC777, DGR

Contest:
Elder's Keep: (1) SC777
The Tower of Agazast: (1) DGR
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2020, 12:30:35 am »

Megafauna Mummification: (3) SC777, DGR, IronyOwl
Sun Arrows: (3) SC777, DGR, IronyOwl
Hog Knights Revision: (1) IronyOwl

Contest:
Elder's Keep: (1) SC777
The Tower of Agazast: (2) DGR, IronyOwl
I keep meaning to do stuff and then end up not doing stuff.

I'm still not sure about those animated trees. Maybe a research project into the viability of war golems would be a better idea.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2020, 02:55:59 pm »

Well, it's been three days since the last spark here, and I suppose there is a clear unanimous vote...

Consider this your pestering. If you really don't vote beyond this in a day or so, I'll let Shadow's votes stand for the team.
Right, we've finished voting I think, has the other team done so as well?
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2020, 03:02:16 pm »

Other team is usually way ahead of us and it's been... what, a few weeks now?

We're a slow and contentious people, apparently. D:

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2020, 02:46:40 pm »

Megafauna Mummification
[Revision Weights: 3, 3. Roll: 5, bug removal success, no features]
The job of the mortician has long been to prepare the dead to be seen by the living, to preserve them for as long as possible in something as close to their living state as possible. The First step of megafauna mummification is, then, a sort of veterinary battle-mortician. With wire, bolt, and prosthesis, dead animals are carefully sewn together to preserve as much of their combat potential as possible.

While this has largely ameliorated the issue of animals losing their importantly pointy bits before meeting the enemy, the difficulties in creating the kits to repair most animals and in training the new post-healthcare professionals has left little time for experimenting with improved methods of truly mummifying and preserving flesh.

Sun Arrows
[Uncommon Deployment]
[2 Minerals, Auspicious Hours 4, Juxtematic Catalysts 3]
A mixed-magic refinement of Sun Spears, Sun Arrows are much smaller, single use arrowheads. Originally made of iron-pyrite, these heads have been enhanced via sacred lunacy to store sunlight much as gold does. While they lack the solar shockwave ability of the spears, they are still capable of generating a burning nimbus in order to burn through many materials on contact- assuming that random chance doesn’t cause burning miad to instead be generated by the interaction. Primed mentally by the archer when fired, these arrows burn furiously during flight, and the head and wood shaft closest to the head have both been juxtematically reinforced with ceramic heat tolerance in order to withstand the flight with no loss of range or accuracy. This does, however, require juxtematic scholars to be on hand to regularly reinfuse the arrows to preserve their range.
[Minor Design, d6-2: 2]
[Minor Bug, Fascinating]
Despite tests verifying that the juxtemantic enhancements are properly preserving the shaft and head of the arrow, and the fletching remains intact throughout, there is a slight but noticeable ‘wobble’ in the flight of sun arrows, making them less suitable for precision fire at long range.

Possessed Trees
[Uncommon Deployment]
[Fruit of the land: 3 Soul Dregs: 5]
The creation of the ‘Possessed Trees’ is a relatively simple process. Cut tree down. Cut some of the bigger limbs off the tree to make into arms/legs, stick arms/legs back one. Cut a face into the tree for giggles. Garnish with a powerful spirit from below, and serve fresh to the enemy. While, on paper, a force to be reckoned, actual mock battles and limited trials in the field have been… disappointing. The limb structure of the Possessed trees is the first concern. The ‘legs’ and ‘arms’ are little more than stumpy/point pieces of wood that have been literally glued on. In order to give them movement and articulation for the Deep entity to walk, they, and the glue fusing them to the body, has to be possessed by the entity. While the limbs suffer no more than the body (more on that in a moment) the resin has a difficult time coping with the increased entropy.
The legs, under the tremendous stress of the tree’s weight, frequently fail first. The glue on one ‘hip’ will degrade, causing the connection to fail. This will force the tree to use its spiked arms to pull itself into the fray along with its remaining leg, until one of the arms or the remaining leg fails. After that point the deep entity will usually resort to dragging itself forward via a combination of inchworming the trunk, pulling with its ‘hair’ of remaining branches, and spiking along with any remaining limbs.
These issues are exacerbated considerably by fact that the organic wood of the tree is far from decay resistant, rapidly becoming pulpy, splintery, and brittle. While the unarguable mass of the tree means that such constructs can drink in arrows and blades and not be destroyed, they decay rapidly. The very movement of the deep entity, flexing branches, grafted limbs, and tremendous trunk to attack and balance, rapidly breaks down the rotting tree.
Even without these issues, there’s something rather singularly ungainly about a tree-trunk thumping around on two jointless legs, and the deep entities frequently have to fall into a quadrupedal or tripedal lurch to cover ground at speed.
In battle, the creations are difficult to destroy and capable of smashing into enemy lines with unforgiving force. Their issues with rot and mobility, however, frequently relegate them to the role of defense and semi-mobile cover, where they wormeaten but timbrous bulk allows them to shelter advancing infantry behind trunk and branch - though such a defensive roll limits the utility of their scream.
[Moderate Design, d8: 7]
[Minor, Eldritch]
One of the most peculiar issues with the possessed trees is that the deep entities attracted appear to be of a particularly primeval candor. Not necessarily more powerful for their age, the minds of these entities are even more removed from the mortal world than most of their peers. They can be manipulated with basic commands, but they are either reluctant to follow, or unable to understand, more complex commands.
[Crippling, Hidden behind Primeval Spirits]
An overwhelming issue with the possessed trees lies in a form of violent ‘insanity’ that seems to grip the creatures as their decay worsens. When their carven form becomes too damaged, by the depredation of the enemy or time, possessed trees have the tendency to expel the last of their energy in a berserk fury- killing and consuming any nearby regardless of allegiance. While this has the seemings of madness, it’s more likely a grim calculation on the part of the entity to use what strength it has left to drag all the souls it can back with it before its body fails.
[Hidden Fault!]
[Minor, Intractable]
The resin requirements during construction present an issue in terms of available materials, needing both a specific kind of tree during a relatively specific part of its life cycle. While these trees are fairly common, initial harvesting reveals a potential paucity that will affect widespread deployment. (+1 Fruit of the land cost while this bug exists)
[Minor, Simple]
A final, minor, issue with the possessed trees is that they deploy their screams with no consideration for allies in radius. While the effects of this tend to even out in the wash, as both allies and enemies are disturbed and repulsed, it decreases their already questionable utility.

It is the 4th Design, Revision, and Research Phase

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2020, 07:17:59 pm »

Combat puppet: An improved version of the basic concept of the possessed trees. Instead of using a tree however we will be using a prep-prepared witch puppet body, of carved wood, bone and metal. Basically humanoid the proportions of the puppet are... off. It is a puppet after all, it doesn't really support itself, as it is animated by an outside force. The main weapon of the combat puppet is a series of wires leading out from it's claws. The powers of the Deep being inhabiting the puppet suffuse these wires, animating them and rendering them supernaturally sharp and agile, allowing them to pierce through human flesh and maneuver around armor, or ensnare enemies and cut them to ribbons. Learning from our previous mistakes they use powerful deep beings which are as young as possible, making sure they aren't too alien to accept complex commands.
Oirk program: A lunacy transformation using a boar, and some human blood. This ritual transforms the creature into a human form, retaining the tusks of a boar, though much smaller, and the nose, and maintaining their old strength and durability, while boosting intelligence and agility by using an occasionally lighter body. A soldier grown much faster than normal, who is several times stronger than normal, while being just as light as a normal human, making them supernaturally agile. But, by default the minds of these hybrid beings would be blank, however, the use of awakening can accelerate their learning, allowing us to train them over the course of about a week, rather than the years it takes to turn a human into a functional citizen. Thus the Oirk program, hopefully boosting our numbers in combat, and providing us some more powerful weapons.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:34:08 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:10 pm »

Question, I know I made the writeup and mainly said “lol” just grab some Pine Sap and apply it and connect the main body limbs, but are we heating up the resin sap glue before we apply it?, if not that means we could possibly be using our metallurgy techniques of heating (such as coal) and a find a natural method to increase the adhesive of the sap furthermore, being more resistant to entrophy. Here’s basically what my logic is following something like this https://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/how-to-make-pine-resin-glue/

Secondly, can revisions increase the resource cost of a design, say if we attempted to decrease the stress tension on the tree, maybe we could make the Tree have three “legs” and be a tripod, or even a weird “centaur”-like tree if we gave it four. More legs would mean they could handle losing one here and there, and reduce the weight of the creature. Another idea is to use Juxtamancy Crystals to reduce the weight of the trees as well, which would give the trees a Crystal cost I imagine, though if you say make the Trees have the “density” or mass of leaves and grass (plenty of them being trees), would making a tree have less comparative mass, therefore less weight and density. However it would still have the same hardness, so would that mean the “leaf-bark” would still be as durable as its previous form. I.e titanium is strong and lightweight metals compared to stainless steel, I think the question is whether or not you can transfer the “fracture toughness” or “mass” of a material without affecting each other with Juxtamancy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:13:23 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2020, 04:43:42 am »

Question, I know I made the writeup and mainly said “lol” just grab some Pine Sap and apply it and connect the main body limbs, but are we heating up the resin sap glue before we apply it?,

I think the question is whether or not you can transfer the “fracture toughness” or “mass” of a material without affecting each other with Juxtamancy.

No to the first, yes to the second. (From what I'm reading) I think we absolutely should do this for the trees, juxtematically, and potentially not even waste time with carving them.

They used their branches to move, so why not just not glue their roots and have them use those as legs? Nothing to fail.

Also, in for Zehlin.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:45:49 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2020, 08:38:33 am »

Question, I know I made the writeup and mainly said “lol” just grab some Pine Sap and apply it and connect the main body limbs, but are we heating up the resin sap glue before we apply it?,

I think the question is whether or not you can transfer the “fracture toughness” or “mass” of a material without affecting each other with Juxtamancy.

No to the first, yes to the second. (From what I'm reading) I think we absolutely should do this for the trees, juxtematically, and potentially not even waste time with carving them.

They used their branches to move, so why not just not glue their roots and have them use those as legs? Nothing to fail.

Also, in for Zehlin.

Can always use more voters!

So, for the notion of the sap, what you write up is what you get. The sap is assumed to be sticky 'enough' to be used for this purpose, which is pretty damn sticky, but it's otherwise just ordinary sap. Further refinement can only increase efficacy -- naturally having the chance to increase difficulty and cost in the process -- and so should be included when needed/wanted.

For Juxtemancy, the answer is a solid, kinda. If you have glass and give it the density of osmium, you're going to make it more 'effectively' fragile. It's already brittle, but now when it hits something it'll have much more momentum. Likewise, if it you gave it the density of, say, paper, it would become 'effective' more durable, as you could drop it without fear of it shattering. You can (and should) trade individual properties to exploit juxtematics- and they'll remain as isolated as they can, but may still interact in strange ways.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8