Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Calvaria - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1) (Main OOC)  (Read 1902 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Calvaria - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1) (Main OOC)
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:15:00 am »

In our world, monsters have been a part of daily life since before history was written. Not only are they our friends, allies, source of labor, travel, and food as you would expect from more mundane animals: their unique abilities have allowed our civilization to flourish comfortably with their aid. Our streets lit up by a warm bioluminescent glow, our water supply moves by the will of specially bred creatures, our homes are warmed by the eternal fire in the bellies of our trusted hearths. As you would expect those ranchers, breeders, and trainers that allow for all the utilities provided by such creatures are well respected.

Sadly to say this peaceful co-existence doesn't extend to all monsters - nor even our fellow man. The two major nations ruling over the wilderness continent of Calvaria are gearing up for combat. While the causes of war are many, the end result is the same. We must claim the territories in the name of our homeland. Even as wilderness the locations prove valuable as breeding, hunting, and taming grounds - offering both tactical and civilian benefits worth fighting a war over.

Spoiler: Monster Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Breeding (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Capturing (click to show/hide)

Training: While all Monsters must go under extensive training to be any use to humans (barring those that are naturally inclined for the job we give them), Training allows for specialized customization of single units. This can be introducing a new Trait or reducing the downsides of a Quirk. Training is rolled, with a bonus or penalty based on the difficulty of the action and the Traits of the creature. Using the running example, we could attempt to Train our unit of Dragon Steeds to defend their bellies (reducing their Quirk), or we could attempt to regain lost ground by training them to have better speed or stamina. Since we have a Trait making them better to train, we are likely to come out on top with any of these choice. As a learned trait this can't be passed on to the next generation or even a second unit: only this unit will gain the new trait.

Deployment: By default, each Unit has three Sections that may be deployed either separately or together. Loss of Units typically result in loss of Sections, leading to its elimination if all three sections are removed. How big a section is depends on the Size of a creature, particularly large creatures may represent all three sections by themselves. Even if a Unit is destroyed, you will usually have breeding stock remaining of that species and can use that species as normal in Breeding. Units can be deployed to three Regions, detailed later. Regions have four Modes of control: No, Partial, Major, and Full. Your access to the region depends on how much control you have over it, dominating a region will allow you to utilize all of its resources. Once a Region is under Full Control you may launch an assault at the enemy's capital directly, winning the game once you achieve Full Control of it. You may express any tactics and strategies each unit is to use in each region during this phase.

Spoiler: Regions (click to show/hide)

Season: Each Turn/Season follows this pattern:
Capture Phase
Breeding Phrase
Training Phrase
Deployment

With a Combat Report Following Deployment. Turn 0 will instead focus on creating the first 3 Monsters for each nation, one for each element. This will be considered a single phase.

Now you say, "Stirk, what about the People? You keep talking about the monsters, but what if we want to make something else?"

Generally, the current state of warfare revolves around a small amount of humans deploying and commanding large amount of monsters. Both nations are considered rural, with little manpower to waste compared to the vast amount of monsters available to them. If one side's forces are depleted, the remaining humans are likely to surrender if unable to flee, and will be detained until the end of the war. Mundane technology is around the black-powder era, with smooth bore muskets with detachable bayonets being common among hunters. Most monsters can be felled by concentrated small arm/cannon fire, and smaller creatures can be felled by melee weapons. Humans are expected to fight alongside their monsters until the fight becomes unwinnable. Generally humans deliberately targeting other humans is considered ungentlemanly, historically such strategies have unleashed hordes of angry combat monsters on everyone in the general area making everyone's day worse on more populated continents. Things could change on Calvaria based on your orders. If you wish to upgrade the human's equipment, the best way to do that would be by making a monster that is meant to be used as equipment - either breeding a small creature with a usable ability or making a larger creature who's value lies in its parts. In this case "deploying" them would represent slaughtering them and creating said parts. "Training" can be used to give Monsters specialized equipment, including equipment either made from or that is other monsters.

I reserve the right to rewrite these rules should this somehow not work out. Without further delay, let us begin!

Albadonia IC
Walmer IC
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:34:08 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calvaria - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 0) (Main OOC)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 02:49:28 am »

You, uh, might want to divide that into spoilers. It's a bit overwhelming.
Long Live United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 03:15:16 am »

You, uh, might want to divide that into spoilers. It's a bit overwhelming.

Fine, some spoilers just for you.

Its not like it really changes anything :V

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:18:41 am »

Interesting, I'll go walmer
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:47:24 am »

PTW

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:49:17 am »

Wait, I just noticed the OP's of the post said the 4 main elements. Does this make black or white the fourth element, or is it meant to say 3?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:51 am »

Wait, I just noticed the OP's of the post said the 4 main elements. Does this make black or white the fourth element, or is it meant to say 3?

One of them got cut while I was balancing things, it is totally 3 main elements now.

That definitely isn’t an excuse for why I can’t count to three.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:58:49 am »

Walker, yis.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 12:43:47 am »

Albadonia could use some more votes!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 03:09:02 am »

I think I'll join Albadonia, it's thread has less posts.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:34:02 pm »

Alright, the pre-turn is over! Sorry to everyone who was hoping we'd stay in the pre-game for seven months like a typical armsrace.

We will now begin the Capture Phase of the first regular turn.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calvaria - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1) (Main OOC)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:08:55 am »

Well, I think I'm going to side Walmer.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:32 pm »

Well, I think I'm going to side Walmer.

I have arrived in Walmer to break a tie..

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 03:57:42 pm »

So, Albie's, how are you doing on the votes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:00:04 am »

nobody has any

Pages: [1] 2