Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Albadonia - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1 Deployment)  (Read 2292 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Albadonia - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 11:05:40 pm »

Well first I think it doesn’t follows the correct Capturing structuring as stated in the OP, choosing the three desired traits with each additional one you add making it more difficult to get what you want, so your making it harder to catch for...?

As well, my design is intentional created to be able to sprinkle extra docile into all species so that we have a baseline allowed them to be deployed and being much more tactical and coherent than before, as well supporting our tank even further. As well the sunlight sensitivity sounds like an unnecessary crippling flaw to put on a Wrath creature, why not something like Prideful?, Hollow Bones, or something that doesn’t makes it impossible to utilize 50% of the time or make it want to die in the desert by just breathing there, while adding that previous thematic sense. Also could have a cooler name like Photophobia or Sunlight Hypersensitivity

Quote from: Votebox
Capture Calvarian Dune Drake: (2) Happerry, IronyOwl
Capture Albadonian Shockperd: (1) SC777
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:11:04 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 01:44:20 am »

I'll +1 this to get things moving, but I'm a little concerned about a sun-fearing red creature, given that the desert gives them a bonus to combat.

It will indeed be good to get a source of flight regardless, though.
They're nocturnal though? Desert nights are also a thing.

Well first I think it doesn’t follows the correct Capturing structuring as stated in the OP, choosing the three desired traits with each additional one you add making it more difficult to get what you want, so your making it harder to catch for...?

As well, my design is intentional created to be able to sprinkle extra docile into all species so that we have a baseline allowed them to be deployed and being much more tactical and coherent than before, as well supporting our tank even further. As well the sunlight sensitivity sounds like an unnecessary crippling flaw to put on a Wrath creature, why not something like Prideful?, Hollow Bones, or something that doesn’t makes it impossible to utilize 50% of the time or make it want to die in the desert by just breathing there, while adding that previous thematic sense.
See above statement about 'desert nights are also a thing'. Also, it's not like most stuff isn't only active 50% of the time anyway, that's the thing with night/day cycles. On the subject of difficulty, if it's important to minimize extra difficulty you've not done that either, you know?

Fire breathing is a good trait, night vision is a good trait, and flying is a good trait. Maybe we don't get one or, if we roll badly enough, two of those, but honestly any of those would still be good and from the example of catching monsters even if we roll low it's not like it'll just have less traits, they'll just get replaced by something else most likely, so...
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 02:37:57 am »

As well, my design is intentional created to be able to sprinkle extra docile into all species so that we have a baseline allowed them to be deployed and being much more tactical and coherent than before, as well supporting our tank even further. As well the sunlight sensitivity sounds like an unnecessary crippling flaw to put on a Wrath creature, why not something like Prideful?, Hollow Bones, or something that doesn’t makes it impossible to utilize 50% of the time or make it want to die in the desert by just breathing there, while adding that previous thematic sense.
See above statement about 'desert nights are also a thing'. Also, it's not like most stuff isn't only active 50% of the time anyway, that's the thing with night/day cycles. On the subject of difficulty, if it's important to minimize extra difficulty you've not done that either, you know?

Fire breathing is a good trait, night vision is a good trait, and flying is a good trait. Maybe we don't get one or, if we roll badly enough, two of those, but honestly any of those would still be good and from the example of catching monsters even if we roll low it's not like it'll just have less traits, they'll just get replaced by something else most likely, so...

No your wrong because guess what, we’re going to introduce that gene of being Afraid of Sunlight to all the creature that it can breed with, and with captured monster we don’t have enough to deploy them for combat and only for breeding as this is during the time I am writing this, and I don’t want to introduce that horrible drawback even if it’s more mild compared to normal to the rest of our fighting forces. Even if we are able to pick our engagements, we will still probably be attacked in the day because they and having sunlight sensitivity problems on our Wrathspike or whatever will severely disorient them and reduce their chances of winning, this would severely limit our flexibility compared to a more mild Quirk like Prideful, Vengeful, or whatever pointless emotional perk we apply to the creature that will not hurt them as bad as compared to Photophobia

As for the comment about complexity, the capturing desired traits thing kind of resorts to sizes, and you technically have four traits and all desired traits after three negatively impact the roll, you want on this captured creature its Size and because it is considered one of those traits thus making it hardly unnecessarily, it might be countered by having choosing a flaw. But wouldn’t it make sense that getting a random Quirk instead of choosing what our quirk is, would mean that the Creature is more easily findable? As for thoughts about complexity, it has made me reconsider the choosing the size and I feel like a third trait is much more desired, resulting in the Shockperd to have an additional trait of Swiftness, thus improving the beneficial nature of its breeding ability.

Remember captured creatures aren’t to be deployed in combat, but to provide beneficial traits to our combat line while not hampering them severely with quirks

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 12:21:40 am »

Wait, for stats? How does... oh, wait, doh, sizes seem to count as stats for capturing. Hmm.

Honestly I don't really consider the spread of 'needs to be nocturnal' to be an issue so much as, well, a not issue. Because 'being encouraged to fight at night' isn't a bad thing in my opinion, and would definitely not be the standard path.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 01:24:25 am »

I don't think we have a way to calculate the efficiency of trait count, since we don't know what the modifiers are and we'll get unpredictable traits whether we fail to specify or fail the roll.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 05:54:28 pm »

Name:Calvarian Dune Drake
Element: Wrath
Size: Medium
Traits: Breaths Fire, Vibration Senses, Burrower
Quirk: Sun-Fearing
Flavor Text: The Calvarian Dune Drake is an uncommon predator native to the Ulrest Desert, using a unique ability to detect prey from far distances. While unfortunately overly sensitive to sunlight, causing these Drakes to primarily be active at night, this does not prevent them from being a menace to both travelers and other monsters of the desert. Generally, the first one knows that one has caught the eye of such a drake is when they are set on fire from below and left to burn, with the Drake returning later to either feast on the remains or apply more fire once its prey has again lowered its guard by, say, going back to sleep.

It would seem that our records of the Dune Drake have been entirely incomplete. While the rambling tales of frightened travelers had spoken of ambushes by these creatures, it seems that in the dark of the night they had missed out on key details. To start with, their ability to detect prey isn't granted by keen eyesight from on high but rather a unique series of bones in their ears allowing them to detect vibrations in the sand at vast distances. While this ability is honed for its home territory, it works on any solid ground. This pairs with the second misconception, the creature is equipped with powerful digging claws allowing it to move through the ground at a walking pace. Using this it is able to get under its target, spit fire, then retreat back into the ground before it can react. While the means are just about opposite, the effect remains the same. As a final note the creatures are bigger than we had previously been told, travelers had assumed the reason they couldn't see them in the night air was due to a smaller size than they have in reality. It is correct that they seem to fear the sun - though this seems to be a practical adaption to keep this ground-adapted creature safe from the harsh rays of the desert sun rather than a result of over-stimulus of its remarkably average eyesight. They can be coaxed to move during daylight hours so long as they stay cool underground, getting them to surface for anything proves to be a difficult task regardless.

Our hunters first find it difficult to capture Dune Drakes. They lay out fire-resistant traps filled with bait that goes without being taken for days. It isn't until they're attacked by their prey in the dead of night that they realize their mistake. Attempting new techniques, they place live bait in the traps at night- a strategy that is found to be much more efficient so long as their bait has room enough to move. Attempts to defend their camp-sight with bright biolamps had failed - while this is certainly disappointing to travelers hoping for an easy way to move throughout the night it does mean that it will take more than a token effort to recreate the light that these creatures fear.

It is now the Breeding Phase. As with the Capture Phase, all regions are considered under Partial Control for the purpose of breeding and may be used as Conditions. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Spoiler: Monster Species (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Units (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:07:26 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 06:13:51 pm »

I wish we would have a general sense of how your dice is rolled to see how comparatively good or bad we did I guess we did fine as is, also whelp guess it’s time to breed the Cethapalod and Dune Drake and nope it seems like you can only make one trait Dominant so we can’t work on reducing the creature innate ability on being aquatic or fearing the sun, correct?

Also does choosing your Quirk for your specified captured monster instead of getting a random one, increase the difficulty or negative modifier of the value you get for this new monster?

Breeding Proposal: Albadonian Tentacled Drake
Conditions: The Mind Cephalopods with the highest innate ability to move objects with their mind will be designated to breed, with the eggs of the creatures incubated where this is bunch of psionic energy is around, as in essence submerged near the beach and migration zone of the squids to suck in the latent mind energy. (Telekinesis Dominant)
Flavor Text: the Tentacled Drake is a creature we strive to create through breeding, it will have the general physical shape and structure as the Dune Drake including its appendages, claws, and tail. However it’s face will be surrounded by a tentacled mane and it’s mouth replaced with a beak as well as it’s scales are replaced with the matching dark purple skin of the Mind Cephalopods.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 06:47:24 pm »

I wish we would have a general sense of how your dice is rolled to see how comparatively good or bad we did I guess we did fine as is, also whelp guess it’s time to breed the Cethapalod and Dune Drake and nope it seems like you can only make one trait Dominant so we can’t work on reducing the creature innate ability on being aquatic or fearing the sun, correct?

Also does choosing your Quirk for your specified captured monster instead of getting a random one, increase the difficulty or negative modifier of the value you get for this new monster?

Conditions: The Mind Cephalopods with the highest innate ability to move objects with their mind will be designated to breed, with the eggs of the creatures incubated where this is bunch of psionic energy is around, as in essence submerged near the beach and migration zone of the squids to suck in the latent mind energy. (Telekinesis Dominant)
Flavor Text: the Tentacled Drake is a creature we strive to create through breeding, it will have the general physical shape and structure as the Dune Drake including its appendages, claws, and tail. However it’s face will be surrounded by a tentacled mane and it’s mouth replaced with a beak as well as it’s scales are replaced with the matching dark purple skin of the Mind Cephalopods.

I had assumed just looking at the result would tell you what you need to know. In this case you rolled poorly, though that means the result is "something other than what you wanted" and not necessarily "bad".

You can choose to make a Quirk dominant if you want, rather than picking a trait. Specifying a Quirk receives the same penalty as specifying other Monster Stats.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 06:26:54 pm »

Quote from: Breeding Proposal: Albadonian Duneripper
Conditions: The swiftest burrowers from the Calvarian Dune Drakes will be bred with the quickest strikers from the Albadonian Wrathspikes, and the eggs incubated beneath the desert sands to ensure they are at home in the earth. (Burrower Dominant)
Flavor Text: These drakes possess the distinctive spines and aggressive temperament of a Wrathspike, dragging their prey under the sands with them rather than burning them and retreating.
If we've got burrowers and want to conquer the desert, I guess we should use the burrowers? I like the dune drakes as is, honestly, skirmishers sound pretty handy. But we might need something a little more direct, and we need to breed them with SOMETHING to be able to deploy them.

Heh. Maybe Muck Mountains for living quicksand.

I'm not opposed to more telekinesis and I like tentacled beak-lizards, but what exactly do these do? Regular psionic attackers?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 08:23:24 pm »

Quote from: Breeding Proposal: Albadonian Duneripper
Conditions: The swiftest burrowers from the Calvarian Dune Drakes will be bred with the quickest strikers from the Albadonian Wrathspikes, and the eggs incubated beneath the desert sands to ensure they are at home in the earth. (Burrower Dominant)
Flavor Text: These drakes possess the distinctive spines and aggressive temperament of a Wrathspike, dragging their prey under the sands with them rather than burning them and retreating.
If we've got burrowers and want to conquer the desert, I guess we should use the burrowers? I like the dune drakes as is, honestly, skirmishers sound pretty handy. But we might need something a little more direct, and we need to breed them with SOMETHING to be able to deploy them.

Heh. Maybe Muck Mountains for living quicksand.

I'm not opposed to more telekinesis and I like tentacled beak-lizards, but what exactly do these do? Regular psionic attackers?

You can bread a Monster with itself to get a unit of that monster. It will not have a random chance for increased Traits or mutations in this case, regardless of the Conditions used.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 10:28:49 pm »

Hm. Probably want to constantly hybridize then, hoping for those sweet mutations.

EDIT: Also I'm fine with glomming onto Shadowclaw's vote if we can't resolve this before it becomes an issue.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 05:09:42 am »

(1) Breed Albadonian Tentacled Drakes [Dune Drakes + Mind Cephalopods] : Happerry

Honestly most of our breeding options seem good, but if this has support we might as well go with it. I do think we probably want to just breed the drakes sometime, but also our other units. While it's good to have new stuff, it's also good to have more units of our old stuff and such-forth.
Forenia Forever!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 05:36:03 am »

(2) Breed Albadonian Tentacled Drakes [Dune Drakes + Mind Cephalopods] : Happerry, SC777

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 02:13:55 pm »

(3) Breed Albadonian Tentacled Drakes [Dune Drakes + Mind Cephalopods] : Happerry, SC777, IronyOwl

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:49 am »

Extra Trait: No
Mutation: Yes (Hyper-Awareness)

Albadonian Tentacled Drake
Element: Joy(D) Wrath(R)
Size: Small
Traits:
D:Telekinesis, Vibration Senses, Burrower
R: Breaths Fire, Telepathy, Intelligent, Hyper Awareness
Quirks:
D: Sun-Fearing
R: Aquatic

Our breeders follow the instructions, breeding a batch of fresh Tentacled Drakes. Given their current number we estimate that they will grow to Small size. They seem to inherent a significant amount of behavior from their Dune Drake ancestry, preferring to burrow into the mud in shallow using their claws, leaving only their face-tentacles poking out of the ground. It seems that their tentacled mane acts as a vibrational detector much like the special ear bone on their ancestor, however it is more attuned to detecting movement in water and mud than in sand. Though they only start to use this ability near the end of this turn, it seems like they will be ambush predators using their telekinesis to stun prey that gets close. They are amphibious and capable of moving and burrowing on land, but are attuned to Joy and prefer watery habitats. They are afraid of the sun, direct sunlight seems to dry their tentacles out rather quickly even in moderate climates, preferring to burrow into nests during the daytime.

One particular explore noticed uncanny behavior in some of the young creatures. He theorizes that the detection ability of Telepathy combined with Vibration Senses could allow for a form of "Hyper Awareness", allowing a monster that possesses it to know both the current state of the enemy mind and body in turn allowing them to evade attacks with ease. Such abilities seem dormant in this species, though perhaps specialized breeding could allow them to shine through.

Now begins the Training Phase. The war is ever looming, now is the time to make our final preparations before it truly begins.

Spoiler: Monster Species (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Units (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 [2] 3