Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Albadonia - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1 Deployment)  (Read 2293 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Albadonia - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1 Deployment)
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:15:26 am »

Albadonia! Born by the sea, raised by the sea, raising Monsters in/by the sea, you are masters of the coastline. As one would expect you are able to Breed Blue Monsters in the Ocean for a small bonus, a more closely guarded secret is your utilization of Flash Storms. Every sailor knows how to read the sky, and the Albadonian sky is often filled by the thundering clouds of a Flash Storm. By raising a metal rod into the air we direct that energy into an incubation chamber, giving a small bonus to Red breeding!

Wait, Red and Blue...that ain't right. What where the Albadonian names for the elements again?

Speaking of elements, it is now time to pick out are starting monsters. We get One of Each of the four major elements, with Three Traits and One Quirk for each Monster. Keep in mind that Capturing and Breeding have a random aspect to them, so this is our one chance to 100% decide what our armory is like!

If you want to write any additional lore for Albadonia, feel free. There isn't like a competition or anything. Some people just like doing that.

OOC
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:22:08 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Albadonia - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 0)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:16:25 am »

We know Blue as Joy, since sea life tends to frolic happily in its endless home and cools the passions of the storm-born.
We know Red as Wrath, since the beasts of a Flash-Storm tend to be intense and aggressive, and their fury is enough to quell even the boundless expansion of hungry muck.
We know Green as Hunger, since the ever-expanding muck we dredge up grows insatiably and feeds effectively on normally joyous sea-life.

Proposed Joy Monster
Name: Albadonian Joyscale
Element: Joy
Size: Medium
Traits: Swift, Agile, Pack Swarmer
Quirk: Skittish
Flavor Text: One of the most iconic symbols of the great nation of Albadonia is the wondrous Joyscale, a playful sea serpent much beloved by Albadonians for its intelligence, friendliness, and cute appearance. It is also well suited to war, being able to move quickly, evade blows well, and strike viciously while a foe is distracted by other threats. Their one downside, other than the deleterious effects on morale at seeing such lovable creatures slain, is that they are naturally skittish in battle, easily routed or put on the back foot when a foe does manage to damage them.

Proposed Wrath Monster
Name: Albadonian Wrathspike
Element: Wrath
Traits: Shoots Lightning, Retaliation, Paralyzing Attacks
Quirk: Vengeful
Flavor Text: Sometimes described as an angry ball of pink, the Albadonian Wrathspike is a giant sea urchin with translucent pink spikes. It utilizes these spikes for a number of purposes, including locomotion, communication, firing barrages of pink lightning at foes, viciously counterattacking when struck in battle, and just plain stabbing things until they're paralyzed with electricity. The only complaint one could have of these beasts in battle is that they're easily provoked, flying into a single-minded rage when damaged by an enemy and pursuing that foe well past reason or even the orders of their handlers.

Proposed Hunger Monster
Name: Albadonian Muck Mountain
Element: Hunger
Size: Very Huge
Traits: Colonial, Regeneration, Lifestealing
Quirk: Mindless
Flavor Text: Aptly named, the Albadonian Muck Mountain resembles little so much as a massive pile of green slime. In truth it's a colonial assembly of much smaller gelatinous components, giving it a few interesting qualities. One is that, unlike normal monsters, the Muck Mountain suffers no overt penalties from being undersized- "young" Muck Mountains possess fewer fully grown components and far less weight to throw around, but are otherwise no more awkward than their more venerable peers. Another is that, being rather simple of construction, the Muck Mountain finds it easy to repair damage to itself, regenerating in combat at a prodigious rate. Finally, the Muck Mountain's components possess tiny tentacles quite adept at feasting on life energy, absorbing it from foes to heal and empower itself. The one downside to the great beast is that, well... it's not very smart. It is, in fact, rather aggressively un-smart, being almost literally brainless, and thus handlers have difficulty informing it of anything but the most basic of orders.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:03:48 am »

I have not decided on a good name for our three elements yet and am still thinking of them
Edit: Apparently Clarified In Core Thread

Name: Albadonian Mind Cephalopod
Element: Blue
Size: Small
Traits: Telekinesis, Telepathy, Intelligent
Quirks: Aquatic
Flavor Text: The Albadonian Mind Cethlapod is a unique specimen of molluscoids that have lived in the bottom of the depths of fish that our Albadonian have gathered, this eight-armed with two tentacles furnished with denticulated suckers surrounding a pointed beak, this lavender-coloured bodied creature is known for the ability to move objects without touching it and much greater than what it’s small body would allow, as allow being able to converse and read the thoughts of others, known to use this as a form of mind radar to gather prey, combined with the fact that it shoots out nonsensical words into your head and thinking process, allowing for disturbing encounters when handling them. Their bodies always glow with a dark purplish color whenever they try to perform one of their tricks, however they are an entirely aquatic species, and cannot survive on dry land for long which has only limited their hunting grounds to the ocean and our deployment to only areas that have access to sources of water.

Name: Albadonian Weedbeast
Element: Green
Size: Large
Traits: Plant Body, Tough Hide, Venomous Barbs
Quirks: Enervated
Traits: An monstrously-formed four-legged creature composed entirely of plant-based matter that it seems to gather and collect from drifting seaweed, kelp, and even moss to for composition, though to continue its existence it indeed engulfs other living animals and monster for sustenance. The Albadonian Weedbeast is a shambling monster that holds a botanical body that allows it to handle much physical damage as the creature doesn’t have a neurological system to speak of or even conduct electricity. In the same we it’s toughened “hide” being made of a wet-rot and soaked material that gives it a level of insular protection to changes of temperature such as from cold or fire, as well as the layers of hardened vines that surround the creature being incredibly resilient acts as an additional layer of armour to stop it from crumbling down. This monster has two powerful forelimbs containing a neurotoxin on serrated barbs that surround their graspers, allowing it to paralyze or even severely hamper internal organs. However these are creatures are slow to move, like the eponymous material they are made of, they act and react in a slow manner and prefer to be mainly stationary.

Name: Albadonian Thunderflapper
Element: Red
Traits: Electrical Bite, Swift, Extra Docile
Quirks: Haughty
Flavor Text: The Albadonian Thunderflapper is often considered one of the more emblematic creature, as it quite well mimics a combination of a pinniped and feline with its long foreflipper and two hind legs that gives them the ability to move on all fours and with surprising electrical speed to catch on land or water and their bite always containing an electrical charge the use to evoke the static when they attack, the creature has been heavily domesticated and conditioned by us and our fisherman to serve as an assistant hunting monster that helps collect seafood for our populace and has resided in many households as a valued pet. Even so, their altitude has shaped to a prideful state and often their own survival is most important during combat, not their masters and they have shown an innate superiority mental state and will tend to trump and gloat with their skill.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:05:57 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 03:10:16 am »

Mmm, both sets of creatures seem to be well written. Anyone want to extrapolate on any longer term plans or reasoning for the choices of creature stuff? I do like IronyOwl's elements though, they're interestingly non-standard elementaly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:06:33 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 06:54:11 am »

Simply put, I tried to give each monster a designated role that it would serve in combat and beneficial traits to mix with, the Cephalopods would serve as the controller and supporter role to the more combative side of the Red, which I suggested the Thunderflapper to combine with our electrical lore and to have a damage dealer, while the Green would serve as the more defender to side to handle the damage comes it way and let the other two colors. I am fine with the color scheme that IronyOwl suggested. After more consideration I like the more striker approach that the Wrathspike has compared to my idea.

Quote from: VopeyBox
Color Scheme:
Joy, Wrath, and Hunger: (1) SC777

Joy:
Joyscale
Mind Cephalopod: (1) SC777

Wrath (Red):
Wrathspike: (1) SC777
Thunderflapper

Hunger (Green):
Muck Mountain:
Weedbeast: (1) SC777

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 11:57:55 am »

Muck Mountains are intended to be massive but deployable immediately, giving us some longterm power without the extensive wait to get anything at all out of them. They're also tanky, obviously.
Wrathspikes are dangerous berserkers, naturally.
Joyscales I'm the least certain on. I wanted something different than the other two, hence agile and opportunistic. They feel a little generic/placeholdery, though. I might switch over to the telekinesis squid, but they also feel kind of unfocused.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:19 am »

Voted for the Mind Cephalopod to get reliable access to psychic traits it has, the Muck Mountain both because I like its writing better and because I like the regeneration, colonial life, and lifestealing traits more then the Weedbeasts traits, and the Wrathspike because it can shoot lightning bolts at people. I am quite sad that I can't bring myself to vote for the Joyscale given I think the psychic powers could be really useful, but hopefully we can do a capture program on it (And then roll well)? Swift, Agile, and Pack Swarmer aren't bad traits at all, after all.

I just really like the idea of a friendly sea serpent though, and I'm tempted to switch over despite liking the Cephalopod's traits more.

Color Scheme:
Joy, Wrath, and Hunger: (2) SC777, Happerry

Joy:
Joyscale
Mind Cephalopod: (2) SC777, Happerry

Wrath (Red):
Wrathspike: (2) SC777, Happerry
Thunderflapper

Hunger (Green):
Muck Mountain: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 12:52:33 am »

Let's see how psychic squid work out. It'll be good to have an attacker with a weird gimmick, if nothing else.

Color Scheme:
Joy, Wrath, and Hunger: (3) SC777, Happerry, IronyOwl

Joy:
Joyscale
Mind Cephalopod: (3) SC777, Happerry, IronyOwl

Wrath (Red):
Wrathspike: (3) SC777, Happerry, IronyOwl
Thunderflapper

Hunger (Green):
Muck Mountain: (2) Happerry, IronyOwl

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:32:37 pm »

Name: Albadonian Mind Cephalopod
Element: Joy
Traits: Telekinesis, Telepathy, Intelligent
Quirks: Aquatic
Flavor Text: The Albadonian Mind Cethlapod is a unique specimen of molluscoids that have lived in the bottom of the depths of fish that our Albadonian have gathered, this eight-armed with two tentacles furnished with denticulated suckers surrounding a pointed beak, this lavender-coloured bodied creature is known for the ability to move objects without touching it and much greater than what it’s small body would allow, as allow being able to converse and read the thoughts of others, known to use this as a form of mind radar to gather prey, combined with the fact that it shoots out nonsensical words into your head and thinking process, allowing for disturbing encounters when handling them. Their bodies always glow with a dark purplish color whenever they try to perform one of their tricks, however they are an entirely aquatic species, and cannot survive on dry land for long which has only limited their hunting grounds to the ocean and our deployment to only areas that have access to sources of water.

Name: Albadonian Wrathspike
Element: Wrath
Traits: Shoots Lightning, Retaliation, Paralyzing Attacks
Quirk: Vengeful
Flavor Text: Sometimes described as an angry ball of pink, the Albadonian Wrathspike is a giant sea urchin with translucent pink spikes. It utilizes these spikes for a number of purposes, including locomotion, communication, firing barrages of pink lightning at foes, viciously counterattacking when struck in battle, and just plain stabbing things until they're paralyzed with electricity. The only complaint one could have of these beasts in battle is that they're easily provoked, flying into a single-minded rage when damaged by an enemy and pursuing that foe well past reason or even the orders of their handlers.

Name: Albadonian Muck Mountain
Element: Hunger
Size: Very Huge
Traits: Colonial, Regeneration, Lifestealing
Quirk: Mindless
Flavor Text: Aptly named, the Albadonian Muck Mountain resembles little so much as a massive pile of green slime. In truth it's a colonial assembly of much smaller gelatinous components, giving it a few interesting qualities. One is that, unlike normal monsters, the Muck Mountain suffers no overt penalties from being undersized- "young" Muck Mountains possess fewer fully grown components and far less weight to throw around, but are otherwise no more awkward than their more venerable peers. Another is that, being rather simple of construction, the Muck Mountain finds it easy to repair damage to itself, regenerating in combat at a prodigious rate. Finally, the Muck Mountain's components possess tiny tentacles quite adept at feasting on life energy, absorbing it from foes to heal and empower itself. The one downside to the great beast is that, well... it's not very smart. It is, in fact, rather aggressively un-smart, being almost literally brainless, and thus handlers have difficulty informing it of anything but the most basic of orders.

Albadonia has come to know the elements by feelings, a unique perspective brought about by their natural habitat. For Joy, they have raised the Mind Cephalopod - an intelligent creature with unique telekinetic and telepathic abilities alongside an impressive intellect. Yet these creatures are shackled to sources of water, limiting the locations they can be deployed. Perhaps acting as their opposite is the Muck Mountain - a nearly mindless creature with a powerful physical form capable of regenerating and stealing the life force of others as one would expect from the representative of Hunger. Likewise representing the element of Wrath is the Wrathspike, an angry monster capable of defending itself with both its physical spines and their ability to shoot lightning.

A full unit of each has been prepared during peace time, ready to deploy against our enemies.

Turn 1: Capture Phase

As war looms, we must prepare our military for the incoming conflict. Either side has yet to deploy in force - we should be able to access all territories as if they where Partially Controlled for the purpose of Capturing and Breeding. What instructions will we provide our hunters and trappers?

Spoiler: Monster Species (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Units (click to show/hide)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Albadonia - Monster Breeding Armsrace (Turn 1)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 05:49:40 pm »

I kinda want to go try to capture a Albadonian Joyscale, both because I like the fluff and because they do have useful traits.
Forenia Forever!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 08:32:44 pm »

Other team has decided. Waiting an you guys~

I'll just go with Happerry's suggestion if nobody else ends up voting.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 08:55:49 pm »

We seem to have a DPS (Wrathspike), Tank (Moss Mountain), and Controller (Mind Cethapod), we should probably go interesting and try and get of those weird colors like White or Black, maybe another tank? This unit would be like a Support Healing Tank, which would probably have synergy with the Mountain and draw attention so that the Wrathspike and Cethapolod can do what they can do.

We should probably make big head way into the Left, the Ulrest Desert, since that offer boons to both Red and Green which we have innately minor boons to because of our starting faction. So we should probably get another red monster.

Name: Albadonian Shockperd
Traits: Extra Docile, Healing Breath, Swiftness
Flavor Text: The Shockperd is a medium-size lupus-like creature with a yellowish to sandy-like colour fur backing on four legs that has migrated into Albadonia because of the thunder storms which is it is often howling too, that has been domesticated by the Albadonian people as a great household pet and worked as a herding or even assistant fishing monster for generations, and even served as assistant to our herbalists for its renown ability to shoot out a breath of crimson-tinted healing energy that stores a electrical volt around it that restores back damaged wounds and even apply electrical current back into the heart for us, and has been used in its packs to help make sure the wounded, old and frail, and newborn pups to make sure they don’t die. When someone sees the creature moves it’s a sight to behold because the innate electricity it has stored from the Flash Storm has increased its movement speed into almost a blur when its running and catching down prey or to run after its kibble. The Shockperd has integrated into our culture because of its innate domesticity and ability to help with our civilization’s healthcare.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:39:21 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 08:59:15 pm »

Unfortunately, White and Black arn't found in the wild. They can only be created by breeding.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 09:44:12 pm »

Quote from: Animal Box
Name:Calvarian Dune Drake
Traits: Breaths Fire, Night Vision, Flier
Quirk: Sun-Fearing
Flavor Text: The Calvarian Dune Drake is an uncommon predator native to the Ulrest Desert, where this keen eyes and high flying beast may spy out prey from far distances. While unfortunately overly sensitive to sunlight, causing these Drakes to primarily be active at night, this does not prevent them from being a menace to both travelers and other monsters of the desert. Generally, the first one knows that one has caught the eye of such a drake is when they are set on fire from the air and left to burn, with the Drake returning later to either feast on the remains or apply more fire once its prey has again lowered its guard by, say, going back to sleep.

Just as an animal I thought of. What I'd like to do with them is breed them with the Cephalopods so we have a version with some of the Cephalopod's good traits that isn't water access only. And flight is just a good thing to have access to in general, right?

Quote from: Votebox
Capture Calvarian Dune Drake: (1) Happerry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:46:51 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 10:44:31 pm »

Quote from: Animal Box
Name:Calvarian Dune Drake
Traits: Breaths Fire, Night Vision, Flier
Quirk: Sun-Fearing
Flavor Text: The Calvarian Dune Drake is an uncommon predator native to the Ulrest Desert, where this keen eyes and high flying beast may spy out prey from far distances. While unfortunately overly sensitive to sunlight, causing these Drakes to primarily be active at night, this does not prevent them from being a menace to both travelers and other monsters of the desert. Generally, the first one knows that one has caught the eye of such a drake is when they are set on fire from the air and left to burn, with the Drake returning later to either feast on the remains or apply more fire once its prey has again lowered its guard by, say, going back to sleep.
I'll +1 this to get things moving, but I'm a little concerned about a sun-fearing red creature, given that the desert gives them a bonus to combat.

It will indeed be good to get a source of flight regardless, though.

Quote from: Votebox
Capture Calvarian Dune Drake: (2) Happerry, IronyOwl
Pages: [1] 2 3