Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: hospital design  (Read 5665 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: hospital design
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 03:07:23 pm »

One trick I've discovered is to keep leftover hair, then spin it into thread. Since it can't be used to make cloth, keeping it around guarantees that your suturer will always have thread to work with.
If only it could be stockpiled.  I have periodical dyed hair thread sales session to unclutter the loom haha
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 03:09:50 pm »

Is there any easy way of preventing them from ever using adamantine thread for suturing?

The only way I know of is to isolate the dwarves who are extracting the adamantine threads in an area that does not include the hospital. Using locked doors, bridges or burrows.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:33 am »

But, they only use candy thread some of the time, right? Are they taking the most recently produced thread? Do they take from the hospital's supplies before taking from elsewhere?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 06:31:55 am »

Dwarves almost never wash on their own. You make 100 soap bars, then it will last you for 50 years at least if not 100. Rain washes Dwarves constantly on its own. Here is how big hospital looks in my fortress of 288 Dwarves. Maybe too small, but I never had reason to make it larger. I hope it helps with your designs.

Code: [Select]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xT__B_B______x
x___B_B_W__W_x
xT__B_B______x
x___B_B______x
xT__B_B_W__W_x
x____________x
xT__BBBBB__SMx
x___________Rx
xT__BBBBB_R_Rx
x___________Rx
xT_HHHHHHH__Rx
xxxxxxxxxxOOxx

H-bags
T-table
B-bed
W-well
R-traction bench
M-mining cart on stop throwing to west on arrival
S-split,crutch and soap stockpile
x-walls
O-entrance doors

I agree with this one, only time my hospital's overflowing is when I take the chance to unload all noble mandate trash to the caravans in the brief windows when he's not demanding something made and not banning export of items, and he decides to ban exports the second caravan is about to leave the map.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 10:50:18 am »

One trick I've discovered is to keep leftover hair, then spin it into thread. Since it can't be used to make cloth, keeping it around guarantees that your suturer will always have thread to work with.
If only it could be stockpiled.  I have periodical dyed hair thread sales session to unclutter the loom haha
Once you have plenty of hair-thread you could switch your butchering stockpiles, so that hair gets dumped with the nervous tissue and cartilage.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 10:57:01 am »

Once you have plenty of hair-thread you could switch your butchering stockpiles, so that hair gets dumped with the nervous tissue and cartilage.
Doesn't matter. Spinning thread will take hair from refuse stockpiles (including the wool you actually wanted). The issue is that the hair thread doesn't have any stockpile, and I don't think there's any way to specify that you only want to spin wool but not hair (although it can probably be done using DFHack scripts, similarly to how you can specify specific booze brewing or cooked meal ingredients).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 01:06:53 pm »

Doesn't matter. Spinning thread will take hair from refuse stockpiles (including the wool you actually wanted). The issue is that the hair thread doesn't have any stockpile, and I don't think there's any way to specify that you only want to spin wool but not hair (although it can probably be done using DFHack scripts, similarly to how you can specify specific booze brewing or cooked meal ingredients).
So periodically dump everything from the unwanted refuse stockpile into an atom smasher. Maybe I do more butchering than most, but I couldn't possibly hold all my unwated refuse in a stockpile.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 02:04:05 am »

But, they only use candy thread some of the time, right? Are they taking the most recently produced thread? Do they take from the hospital's supplies before taking from elsewhere?

I try to have the hospital stocks full at all times, and this does seem to keep them from immediately going to external sources, but they can go through it pretty fast in a mass casualty event, and I've found dwarves with a Suture task running up to the hospital with adamantine thread even when stocks are full.  I think it happens less often.  I just manually forbid it if for some reason I think I might want it for something, but generally, I just immediately make wafers.  I very rarely want adamantine clothing.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 06:20:02 pm »

@PatrikLundell
I specify wool-spinning only by creating two Refuse/Hair stockpiles, one only accepts the llama/alpaca/sheep/troll hair and the other excludes it. The wool stockpile gives to a workshop that is the only workshop allowed to spin thread and has a quantity-triggered job. The non-wool stockpile feeds into the magma chute but could also feed into a separate workshop. Though I believe you are talking partially about controlling the hair thread itself, just pointing out that a method to avoid spinning hair.

@muldrake
Yeah.. I rarely see dwarfs with candy sutures, but also have a dedicated smelter to trigger a smelt-1-wafer job, just to keep candy thread from existing in my fort. I think the problem is that the suturers use thread based on "look in hospital box first for most recently added thread and if none left then seek last produced thread" and this is combined with a "when hospital supply is below maximum, add newest thread". So when there is heavy hospital traffic, the supply gets low and candy threads may be grabbed in that brief window between creation and wafer creation. Once it is in the hospital's supply box, the candy thread is the most recently added so it is used first. I may try to stock the hospital box by locking the doors, setting the hospital thread supply to max, fill the supply with only hair thread, then lower the hospital thread supply to the minimum. I think that the hair thread will stay in the chest because no stockpiles will accept it, and it may cause the supply to never attempt to refill because there is so much already there.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 09:49:21 pm »

I dont run mine all into wafers. I try and keep 5, clothe and thread, forbidden, for a strangemood.

Like a gold tooth, ya get it back.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 03:48:09 pm »

Can dwarves select items in moving minecarts for hospital use? If they can't, you could always fill a minecart with candy thread and have it perpetually move around your fort. And, if a dwarf steps into the path of the minecart to grab the thread, it's free training for your hospital staff!

Or, barring that, there might be another way. Do hospital tasks (like suturing) respect pathing costs? If that's the case, try setting traffic restrictions, which, set properly, make dwarves prefer different routes without outright blocking paths. You could keep your candy thread in a separate stockpile and simply have a high traffic cost set. That way, your doctors try their best to not use the candy thread, but if you want to make it into wafers then you shouldn't have to do any additional micromanagement. This is assuming, of course, that hospital tasks do take pathing costs into account.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 04:27:46 pm »

As far as I know job item selection is based on distance as the dorf digs. Once the item has been selected pathing is done for that item only, using the proper restrictions (well, mostly, there are issues with burrows).

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »

As far as I know job item selection is based on distance as the dorf digs. Once the item has been selected pathing is done for that item only, using the proper restrictions (well, mostly, there are issues with burrows).
Huh, does that mean that the job is selected by distance and then pathing is calculated? As opposed to pathing distance determining which job item to use?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 01:11:33 am »

Huh, does that mean that the job is selected by distance and then pathing is calculated? As opposed to pathing distance determining which job item to use?
Yes. Calculating paths for every potential item to be used would be extremely expensive and kill the FPS. This necessary optimization is the reason for some issues and apparent stupidities, but there's definitely room for some improvements.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 09:30:12 am »

Yes. Calculating paths for every potential item to be used would be extremely expensive and kill the FPS. This necessary optimization is the reason for some issues and apparent stupidities, but there's definitely room for some improvements.
That's really good to know, thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3