Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: hospital design  (Read 5662 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hospital design
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2020, 06:53:27 am »

I dont run mine all into wafers. I try and keep 5, clothe and thread, forbidden, for a strangemood.

Like a gold tooth, ya get it back.

Adamantine is way too rare to spend on clothing that wears out just like any other clothing.  So I just never produce any cloth from it.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2020, 07:01:50 am »

Dwarves can bathe using soap or just water above grilles with water directly beneath above what i remember to be a limit of 5/7th's or so (might not matter), so building your hospital/bathouse design close to each other and taking the time to empty it via a mass bridge release should work out fine.

Dwarves get regular thoughts from getting cleaned that help offset being dirty and extra happyness when using soap by themselves.

As for showers i usually create a vertical system using aquifers, which backs up the spout by using a water-bell safe-well bit of plumbing to recalibrate the pressure, so that my collection basin for my well and/or bathouses doesn't overflow even with the constant input, and the worst consequence is often a small amount of dribbling at the bottom of the staircase bubbling back up,  so much water moving dilutes any blood or grime dwarves bring in.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:06:08 am by FantasticDorf »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2020, 11:01:01 am »

Don't forget cleaning trenches in major pathways to clean Dwarfs who come from the outside or from the mines.  Just ramps with shallow, like 2/7, pools of water to wash off boots/shoes/feet.  That way the populace won't track in mud and other material into the city and/or hospital.

And drawbridges instead of doors for some of the rooms in case of were inflections.

And making a outside bathhouse isn't a bad idea.  Build a room over a river with grates, a well, and soap, so the dirty water is washed away after they clean themselves.  I tried it before and it worked.  They also get exposed to sunlight.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 11:33:48 am »

Do you have a special trick to get the dwarfs to use the outdoor bathhouse, or just let it happen whenever they decide to?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2020, 02:19:42 pm »

Make it your only well and set 'zone-drinking only'  in the options.
Include a soap stockpile (your only one) nearby for easy access.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 07:39:26 pm »

(A note about wading pools - make sure that water circulates, either via a flow in/off the map or screwpumps. Some contaminants can be spread after they are (partially) washed off.)

I'm currently installing a hospital w/ an automated mister at the entrance, so 100% of patients get the cleaning treatment (and a happy thought to balance out the loss of that spleen).

Requires (at least) a 2-tile long entry way - 1st tile is a pressure plate, 2nd tile is the delivery point of a stack mister:

o http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mist#Stack_generator

Pumps are permanently powered. Pressure plate is linked to a hatch that sits over the output of the lower pump (the pump that "sucks in" the water" that just hit the floor below the mist). That water sits there in a 1-tile big, 3/7 pool indefinitely, until someone walks in - then the hatch opens immediately, and the water starts cycling, instantly creating the welcoming mist before the dwarf can take that next step into it. 100 ticks later, the hatch closes, the upper pump has nothing to suck up, and the water is deposited in that lower tile again, minimizing any FPS issues.

This has the added benefit of a mist display for anyone who is in a nearby bed, and the medical staff.

If you want (I did) you can go with a 3-tile long entry and install a 2nd pressure plate to clean all who leave.

(Misters are pretty easy to set up w/ a water reactor powering it from a couple levels below. I use a similar mister  (but double-wide) at the grand entry to my dining room/tavern. I figure 99% of the dwarves will go there sooner or later.)

I also put a dedicated well near the middle of the hospital for the old-fashioned cleaning option. Takes some work, all told, but it's the right move.  Designated as a water source but not a meeting place (don't want a crowd there interfering with your medical staff, and I'd rather they all socialize at the dining hall.)

@ all: afterthought - related Question:
I like to use 3-d designs whenever possible, using "up/down" as shorter access to stores/rooms/whatever, rather than walking miles across a single z-level. Is that possible w/ a hospital, to designate 3 zones on top of each other, connected w/ ramps/stairs? If I treat a patient in one zone will they find the hospital beds in the rooms in the next zone down?

I'm guessing that "stores" from a "storage hospital zone" will not be stolen by the "surgery hospital zone" above it, correct? But if I put traction benches and bedrooms in a vertically adjacent zone, will those work?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:33:02 pm by Albedo »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2020, 04:09:14 am »

With multiple hospitals, dwarves will haul injured to the closest hospital with bed (or closest hospital if there's none). Doctors can take materials from anywhere in the fortress, including other hospitals.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2020, 12:18:06 pm »

With multiple hospitals, dwarves will haul injured to the closest hospital with bed...

So, in my model, the "top" floor would pro'ly fill up first, then the lower one (being that much further). Or, perhaps, the side of both closest to the door, which just means that stair/ramp placement becomes subject to that consideration.

Got it, thx!
o7
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:12:41 am by Albedo »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 02:16:59 pm »

Probably not, pathing and z-levels are not taken into account for determining distance.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 09:40:58 pm »

Almost need >1 hospital, if we paint the zones off as guildhalls, too. Ive just found a really interesting tweak. In d_init, I turned back guild formation to need a min. of 2 dwarfs, instead of 10. Hoping this helps them learn the difficult trades, or expensive, like tossing economic rock to learn siege operation.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:19 am »

Almost need >1 hospital, if we paint the zones off as guildhalls, too. Ive just found a really interesting tweak. In d_init, I turned back guild formation to need a min. of 2 dwarfs, instead of 10. Hoping this helps them learn the difficult trades, or expensive, like tossing economic rock to learn siege operation.

I'm pretty sure you can create a guild hall without needing to wait for a guild to form and petition.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2020, 01:23:57 am »

I'm pretty sure you can create a guild hall without needing to wait for a guild to form and petition.
You can. Maybe it helps attract those types of migrants.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:13 am »

I've noticed though that if you create a lot of guild halls, you will get a lot of dwarves with purple Socialize! need standing in a guild hall all alone. It spreads dwarves thin over the available socializable zones.

Probably not a problem if you have a high population, but very annoying for low population forts.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:09 am »

I've noticed though that if you create a lot of guild halls, you will get a lot of dwarves with purple Socialize! need standing in a guild hall all alone. It spreads dwarves thin over the available socializable zones.

Probably not a problem if you have a high population, but very annoying for low population forts.

Since that weirds me out I usually make temples open to all, unless I'm giving some noble or high stress guy a personal shrine, and guildhalls open to all citizens and long-term residents.  Members-only guildhalls are kind of pointless.
Pages: 1 2 [3]