Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: hospital design  (Read 5691 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
hospital design
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:02:26 am »

whats the best way to clean patients? im thinking of a shower over their bed/traction bench that i operate individually with levers or all at once with one lever for those daily baths  these are floodgates opened by the levers and a pressure plate closes when its 1/7 or maybe 2 or 3/7 for longer ones:
Hospital:
https://imgur.com/xlQM0lC

shower supply:
https://imgur.com/BAcex2V

Drain and well supply:
https://imgur.com/vZTcG3g

the beds will be surrounded by grates to allow drainage

or do i need to make cisterns?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hospital design
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 12:32:04 am »

If you want to be practical, just build lots of wells and manufacture lots of soap. Dwarves seem to wash pretty well on their own.

If you want to be dwarfy, you're on the right track.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:41:31 am »

the answer is always dwarfy

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:11:14 am »

Dwarves almost never wash on their own. You make 100 soap bars, then it will last you for 50 years at least if not 100. Rain washes Dwarves constantly on its own. Here is how big hospital looks in my fortress of 288 Dwarves. Maybe too small, but I never had reason to make it larger. I hope it helps with your designs.

Code: [Select]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xT__B_B______x
x___B_B_W__W_x
xT__B_B______x
x___B_B______x
xT__B_B_W__W_x
x____________x
xT__BBBBB__SMx
x___________Rx
xT__BBBBB_R_Rx
x___________Rx
xT_HHHHHHH__Rx
xxxxxxxxxxOOxx

H-bags
T-table
B-bed
W-well
R-traction bench
M-mining cart on stop throwing to west on arrival
S-split,crutch and soap stockpile
x-walls
O-entrance doors
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:13:42 am by Sarmatian123 »

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 03:01:07 pm »

i went this way in the past and with beds so close one FB with some lethal extract or spores or venom that gets washes contaminates all the beds and gets tracked everywhere.

hence my separate rooms that i can selectively deepclean if needed as well as private rooms, which my patients always love.
 i didnt think of minecarts, honestly in all my time playing df i have yet to venture into carts

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 07:40:38 am »

You could remove 4 beds from upper part and 4 beds from lower part and you would get 1 tile separation between beds. The only time I had issues with blood/stain splatter was during operations, so my operating tables are well separated there. Though, I could imagine a Dwarf dying in bed, before receiving treatment, which could throw his items and whatever was on those, all around him. These days Dwarves finally are good at cleaning. Plus I invented a public entrance to caves, which I put, as a separate entrance on surface. It almost always rains there, so not much filth gets tracked back to my mountain-home alike fortress (a huge surface bunker-brick). The only issue is the savage rain depression.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 02:30:10 pm »

I hope you don't mind, ltprifti, but I didn't want to start a thread after searching for the answer to this question:

Do I need 10 dwarfs in ONE of these "doctor" skills (diagnosis, surgery, bone doc, suturer, wound dresser) to trigger a guildhall request?
   10 diagnosers  or
   10 surgeons  or etc...

(Or will a combination totalling 10 work... this doesn't seem to be working)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:32:09 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 04:17:56 pm »

Most likely 10 total of any of the doctor skills except wound dressing.
That's my guess. Wound dressers don't have their own guild so they probably don't count.
Other guilds have a general guild on top too ('farmer', ' crafter', 'metalsmith' etc) so I don't think the 'doctor' guild is for wound dressers.

Dwarves almost never wash on their own.
They do. Soap just doesn't run out fast because 1 soap bar is good for more than one use.  Don't know how many uses per soap bar (wiki says 10), but apparently enough to let 100 soap bars last 50 years.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:20:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 03:08:40 am »

They do. Soap just doesn't run out fast because 1 soap bar is good for more than one use.  Don't know how many uses per soap bar (wiki says 10), but apparently enough to let 100 soap bars last 50 years.

I know in one game I had, for some reason, the well in a temple I had was really, really popular for washing.  Instead of returning the soap to the stockpile they got it from, the dwarves would just throw it on the ground when they were done.  Because of this, the room had a pretty pattern of bars all over it, so I named it the Temple of Soap.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 11:48:34 pm »

@Sam, missing the point, bebind the minecart, with 1x1tile of track. Where theres a stop and dump. This is for quantum stockpiling, to keep items close at hand to medic? If so, what is the Haul order look like. Thank you. Why not a hollowed column drop, down onto a restricted path'd SP? Dumping cart could thus be moved anywhere above, and space saved.

@Itf, I'd be concerned using floodgates as doors, the delay they have, could cancel patient hauling jobs to beds. Why not just submerse the works, 3/7. Once activity zone is laid down, and bed, channel a pool around tables, beds, traction benches, minecart and quantum pile. fill it with fixed 3/7 by water repeater, put drain outside doors into grandiose dip pool, so each visitor triggers a lil prmature leakage.

The fillerupper grate, should spill over the lower left bed, in the setup. For some reason, its always used.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:55:12 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02:49 pm »

Like you, I enjoy applying dwarven engineering to the hospital situation.

I use separate 2x2 rooms in my hospital for each patient, with a lockable door for each. Additionally, pairs of adjacent rooms are separated by a floodgate, activated by a lever in the hallway. When off, the floodgates release a mist into the two adjacent rooms.

Drainage level below, plumbing above, with an additional lever room to block various paths in case there's any maintenance needed.

In order to keep the water flowing through the pump stack (and thus cleaning contaminants), I also have an "airlock" between the hospital and the main stairwell, which subjects everyone to a pleasing mist.

Curiously, I have yet to successfully create the pressure plate-based bathtub mentioned above. Feels like every time I work on it, we get attacked by werebeasts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:36 pm »

Bathtub-wise, a permadrain one works. Recently set one up with side-to-down flow using 2z heavy aquifer (if you don't have one, you need to connect the exit to map edge with constant waterflow estabilished before sealing off):

But while it cleans the ramps and clothes and gives nice water coating, soapy washing is still necessary since other contaminants will remain on body.

Also, design-wise werebeasts leave doors vulnerable, so using ramp+hatch to exit and enter the individul hospital room is better.

@knutor: Putting the minecart on same z instead of above guarantees no injuries from using the QSP (the hospital shouldn't put the doctor in the hospital). Also, you'd have to use up more space somewhere else with drop.

That said, hospital supplies are used in so little amounts I find regular stockpiles work fine and can give clear view of stocks.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 06:31:06 am »

Ive started doing that, too. But, I stll put crutches and splints into chests, supply for other items is 0/0.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 12:43:26 pm »

One trick I've discovered is to keep leftover hair, then spin it into thread. Since it can't be used to make cloth, keeping it around guarantees that your suturer will always have thread to work with.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 01:58:35 pm »

Is there any easy way of preventing them from ever using adamantine thread for suturing?  This is really annoying and I currently deal with it just by micromanaging strand extraction and immediately smelting it the instant the task completes.  This can be annoying to babysit, though, because it's a very long task.

I usually manage to get it even before it gets stored in a stockpile (canceling that job if it has started).

I never make adamantine clothing because it is ludicrous to waste adamantine on some sock or whatever that wears out just like normal cloth.
Pages: [1] 2 3