Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how do you make a building with a roof?  (Read 16785 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do you make a building with a roof?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 03:21:46 am »

Is this true? Holy crap, I had no idea lol

This changes everything!

Can they still get through fortifications? Or is this just an old nightmarish memory I have from back when zombie hands would crawl through?
Submerged fortifications can be swum through, and I think water can push thing through as well. The dodge/charge knock bug allowed critters to phase through walls (and, of course, fortifications), but that's supposed to be fixed. It shouldn't be possible to climb through fortifications, but if a build fortification doesn't have a roof can be climbed over.
And things (which can be living critters) can be thrown through fortifications, e.g. via mine cart ejection.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 06:23:17 am »

I believe problem with floors not covering walls only is a problem with flyers.  I may be wrong, though.  Still a significant problem, though ;-)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 09:16:54 am »

It shouldn't be possible to climb through fortifications
They can be jumped through, however. A jumping creature is treated like a projectile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 02:19:01 pm »

Make sure to put floor "tiles" on the top of the walls also - otherwise there is a gap between "roof" and wall.  Creatures and enemies will slip in the gap.

You want this:

----------
l           l

Not this:

-------
l         l

It will keep the sun and rain out.  But not living creatures.  Also, the same with holes caused by trees collapsing.  You need to cover the hole and the edge of the hole.

---
l  l
Is this still true? I haven't experienced this kind of shenanigan for a few versions now, but that's just my limited experience. It can save a whole lot of time during later expansion if you leave the wall-generated floors unfloored (awkward sentence I know).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 05:08:48 pm »

I've never seen anything entering diagonally from above, despite covering my courtyard and recessed farming areas with only the floor that's required, but tree holes are definitely dangerous when not covered. On the other hand, flying titans are fairly rare, and birds probably don't try to path into the fortress to any great extent (I don't get many in the traps, anyway).
Pages: 1 [2]