Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: setting parents for your adventurers  (Read 858 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
setting parents for your adventurers
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:42:49 am »

as of right now, adventure mode characters when created dont really have a history, they just kinda exist. Would it then not be neat if you could designate a pair of historical figures of the same species who have at some point lived together, including past adventurers you have made, and have your character be the child of those two characters and retroactively inserted into legends mode as an historical figure? In an similar note allowing players to set the age and sexuality of their character might also be nice, with characters who are not physically mature for their species always having the "child" background and slightly worse attributes and skills compared to an normal adventurer

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: setting parents for your adventurers
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 11:01:01 am »

This really falls under the general question of "retrospective history". 

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:37:06 am »

yeah i like joined these forums yesterday, i probably should have anticipated somebody else already having the exact same idea

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 10:41:47 pm »

yeah i like joined these forums yesterday, i probably should have anticipated somebody else already having the exact same idea
Game has been around almost 20 years. Everything you can think of has most likely been thought of.

Playing as historical characters is something that we're likely to see at some point in the future. And playing as descendents of our adventurers is mentioned in the dev notes somewhere (once the technical hurdles of fast-forwarding time and relationships are figured out).

But injecting fake families into history after it's happened, probably not.

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:56:55 am »

That was not a criticism DF :).  It is a pointer of where this discussion needs to go really.  Just by adding your parents into the game you are basically adding retrospective history into the game as a mechanic, since your parents were born before you were.